Fresh Start For A Tired 60 - 1HZ Conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Made up a quick downpipe that dumped straight to the ground so that I could get it on the road and start playing with the turbo. Loved the way it sounded straight out of the downpipe!
Took it for a drive to Boise and up the hill to the local ski resort to see how much of a difference a few pounds of boost would make. (still stock fueling at this point) Unfortunately, it was only making 3lbs consistently with an occasional spike to 5-6 under heavy load and only for a few seconds. I later figured out that the wastegate spring was mislabeled or something and it was opening to its listed pressure WITHOUT a boost reference (basically just backpressure pushing the valve open), so when a pressure reference was connected, it would open at a fraction of the pressure it was supposed to be at. The wastegate actuator is hard to get to, so for now I just added a boost control valve and adjusted it to where I wanted it.

For the gauges, I replaced the factory tachometer with an EGT gauge and added a boost gauge in the left corner of the dash.

Made a simple plate to hold the EGT gauge.

IMG_0570.jpg
IMG_0568.jpg

I also repaired a broken bolt hole for the dash panel with some JBweld plastic specific epoxy and a washer. Looks like crap from the backside of the cluster, but works great and isn't noticeable at all when installed.

IMG_0571.jpg

New gauges are wired to light up when the headlights turn on. Lighting thankfully matched the OEM green nicely.
IMG_1261.jpg

Also replaced the speedometer cable while I was in there.

Made a real downpipe and connected it to the rest of the exhaust. Then re-made the lower portion to work better with the flex pipe Im using for now to get around the frame rail. I definitely found the limits of my ability with a TIG on this project and was wishing I would have just bought a MIG. 🙃 Eventually I'll take it to an exhaust shop and have a good 3" setup made, but this is good enough for now.

Rev. 1:
IMG_0616.jpg

Rev. 2:
IMG_0728.jpg

I finished this up a couple of days before a big roadtrip, so to make sure I wasn't going to listen to exhaust leaks for a few thousand miles, I added copious amounts of exhaust sealant.... it worked...

IMG_1265.jpg

One of the last tasks before the roadtrip was to replace the rear axle seals, since one of them had been leaking into the brake drum for years. Also replaced the wheel bearings.
@mattressking and I spent a ton of time trying to figure out why we couldn't get the e-brake to adjust properly, eventually we decided that the problem may be caused by the steel cable part being too long. Someday I'll get around to ordering a new brake hardware kit and try to confirm that.

IMG_0676.jpg

Last edited:
Was an awesome trip rolling with @The Machinist I am looking forward to more trips with this fast tractor! The 1HZ-T cool factor proved itself!
DSC09698.jpg

How did the power of the 1HZ compare to the 2f?
Similar, but with more low end torque. In stock form it won't feel particularly fast and you are definitely still cruising in the slow lane, but it is lovely offroad. Plus sides of the diesel are the fuel economy (N/A I was getting 17-23mpg) and more consistent fueling (fuel injection vs carbed) so it feels better to drive overall in my opinion.
Power improves significantly with a turbo, but that also adds complexity and potential reliability/tuning issues...

@Rockymtnreaper and I were pretty equally matched on the highway passes two years ago when he had a freshly rebuilt 2F.

It's nice reading and learning more about the 1HZ. When I decided to diesel swap my 60, a 4bt with NV4500 and adapter kit for the 60 transfer case was presented at a great price, so I went with that. It has great power but is super loud and I always wonder if I'd be happier with the 1HZ.
Either way, the diesel fuel economy is fantastic compared to my old 2F.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom