Flaming 40 diesel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pura Vida

What an absolute noob
Threads
I’m in the 40 section for the brakes and stuff, but I need a lot of help on the engine. That parts are mostly there according the the mechanic I just got it from, I just need to put it together. Where should I start? I need a lot of help because I’m not a mechanic. I have a 1977 BJ40 with a B engine with a 3B head

AD523C1D-C769-4E54-A787-75DA71F3EDD2.jpeg

8EEC0855-86BA-469A-A651-84017D4B9F3A.jpeg

Last edited:
Get a Factory Service Manual for the 3B motor. Looks like a 3B from pics. This will have all the steps on how to do things. It will show you how the parts go together. Start on a small part. Finish it, move to the next. Take your time to do it right. Ask questions. You are in the diesel section which is great. My 15 year old son rebuilt a 2H diesel motor by following the factory manual. It is not hard if you eat the elephant one bite at a time. Build the courage by getting smiles with small wins. You will surprise yourself on how easy it can be.

@Onur did an excellent thread on a 3B overhaul on his 70 series. There is great info there. I think @roma042987 has a 3B 40 and can send you engine bay pics to see what it should look like. There are several threads on Mud as well.

Last edited:
Get a Factory Service Manual for the 3B motor. Looks like a 3B from pics. This will have all the steps on how to do things. It will show you how the parts go together. Start on a small part. Finish it, move to the next. Take your time to do it right. Ask questions. You are in the diesel section which is great. My 15 year old son rebuilt a 2H diesel motor by following the factory manual. It is not hard if you eat the elephant one bite at a time. Build the courage to develop small wins. You will surprise yourself on how easy it can be.

@Onur did an excellent thread on a 3B overhaul on his 70 series. There is great info there. I think @roma042987 has a 3B 40 and can send you engine bay pics to see what it should look like. There are several threads on Mud as well.
It is a B with a 3B head. I know, I know, it’s not the best but from what I read, it works ok. Not great but ok. I guess you could call it a B.5 or something

I have already solved the impossible task of the M10 stud to M8 stud to the exhaust manifold so that’s good. I ordered it from a lawn mower site which has the perfect stud.

Gonna have to get to reality. If 3B on B is not good. Decision is clear. See you posting about making an overland trip in your 40. You need to trust it. Make sure you have peace of mind. 3B head on B is not it.

Don’t waste time on it if your goal is over landing and trusting. B was good for the third world. Not in the US. Way too slow.

I think the decision is clear - Toss the motor and find what works for you.

Usually suggest you get comfortable with what the rig is to do for you. Then build accordingly. Don’t waste your time otherwise. Your project will never end and it is waaaay to expensive to build without a goal.

Many can guide you. But you have to help with the vision and purpose.

Gonna have to get to reality. If 3B on B is not good. Decision is clear. See you posting about making an overland trip in your 40. You need to trust it. Make sure you have peace of mind. 3B head on B is not it.

Don’t waste time on it if your goal is over landing and trusting. B was good for the third world. Not in the US. Way too slow.

I think the decision is clear - Toss the motor and find what works for you.

Usually suggest you get comfortable with what the rig is to do for you. Then build accordingly. Don’t waste your time otherwise. Your project will never end and it is waaaay to expensive to build without a goal.

Many can guide you. But you have to help with the vision and purpose.

This is what I ordered and what is on it. They alleged it would work fine. I’m just taking it one step at a time, and just trying to get it running at the moment. What I received today from the mechanic was not in the shape they told me it was in. They told me I just had to find manifold studs, but it needs more work obviously. I’m gonna get it rolling on its own power and then figure out the rest later

I understand it isn’t ideal, but it is what it is. I just want to get all the parts into the engine bay and get the car running.

Any help on what to install or start on first would be great. I’m just trying to work with what I can right now.

For the time being, I’m dropping everything until I get the engine running and the 40 driving

Last edited:
sure it’s a 77? with the long jump seats and the split front i would have thought us was older

sorry i don’t know these engines so i’m really no help. just looking what you’ve got! looks pretty clean from what i can see in those pics

sure it’s a 77? with the long jump seats and the split front i would have thought us was older

sorry i don’t know these engines so i’m really no help. just looking what you’ve got! looks pretty clean from what i can see in those pics
I’m not positive. Title said 79 but that is definitely not right. Hard top has small windows that open, and from what I remember, that’s 76-77. SA cruisers didn’t have toolbars most of the time, and seats could be aftermarket. Mine has a front bench and I’m pretty sure that isn’t stock, but I like it anyway. Has some rust on driver rocker panel and rear driver quarter panel, and some rust on the ambulance doors. Pretty typical rust spots. It’s not bad for a SA land cruiser in my opinion. Most of it is exposed rather than covered with bondo, which is a plus. Makes it easier to fix later when I can

38848D69-0A50-4239-B7CD-E11E2495BA71.jpeg

3BE51B3C-99EC-4A75-9859-1695C65043BE.jpeg

07E809F3-B939-421F-8318-4EE227007CF9.jpeg

66D61472-907A-4408-B00B-F5EE39FA020B.jpeg

I understand it isn’t ideal, but it is what it is. I just want to get all the parts into the engine bay and get the car running.

Any help on what to install or start on first would be great. I’m just trying to work with what I can right now.

For the time being, I’m dropping everything until I get the engine running and the 40 driving
Is the fuel and electrical connected? Whats the gearbox and clutch doing, are they connected? You need to give us a bit more info. Have you seen the engine running?

Is the fuel and electrical connected? Whats the gearbox and clutch doing, are they connected? You need to give us a bit more info. Have you seen the engine running?
Fuel filter and some fuel lines and other stuff are in the back. I’m not quite sure what that means, but I’m pretty sure that means fuel is not connected. Clutch and gearbox are in and connected.(car doesn’t roll when it is in gear, and the clutch works) Battery is disconnected, and the alternator is not connected. It’s all there but I need to assemble it. I need some guidance on how to do that

I haven’t seen the engine run yet because it hasn’t all been assembled together yet. All the parts are there except for exhaust manifold studs, which are in the mail and coming in a couple of days.

Last edited:
I think tomorrow I’m going to lay out the parts I have and ask what each one is and where it goes.

Ask any questions and I’ll answer to the best of my ability. I’m just trying to get it all put together

Last edited:
I need some guidance on how to do that
Its not rocket science, all that stuff goes on one way. You should make sure you have brackets etc for the various parts like the alternator and fuel filter. They may be attached to the engine.
But yes, lay them all out and we will go through them one at a time. Most other older cars and trucks will have similar set ups
You really need a manual. There are free B 2B 3b 13bt manuals online if you look around.

That parts are mostly there according the the mechanic I just got it from, I just need to put it together.
Do you have a pump for the power steering?

Seems like you have a lot to learn, you have to try and error, get yourself selfeducated by doing. It means that you’ll probably have to do some things twice. Good luck and fight it out!

Do you have a pump for the power steering?

Seems like you have a lot to learn, you have to try and error, get yourself selfeducated by doing. It means that you’ll probably have to do some things twice. Good luck and fight it out!
I don’t know but it did have PS when I first got it

This is the stuff that was in the back of my truck. Any help assembling it or identifying it would be helpful.

Feel free to ask for closeups of anything

66A28E6A-6941-447F-8761-F578DAB40B18.jpeg

I would start with the starter motor. Getting the engine spinning on the battery would be my first stop. The starter is the black heavy thing next to the fan
Did you look at those download links?

I cant see a thermostat houising but I see a thermostat. I have this premonition that maybe there are small but crucial parts missing.

Any holes in the engine where things can fall into, should be taped off or plugged with rags

This thread has pics of BJ40 engine bays by MUD members , pics are sometimes better than words

Last edited:
I would start with the starter motor. Getting the engine spinning on the battery would be my first stop. The starter is the black heavy thing next to the fan
Did you look at those download links?

I cant see a thermostat houising but I see a thermostat. I have this premonition that maybe there are small but crucial parts missing.

Any holes in the engine where things can fall into, should be taped off or plugged with rags

This thread has pics of BJ40 engine bays by MUD members , pics are sometimes better than words

Nearly forgot, thermostat housing is there, I just forgot to put it in the pic. It was somewhere else and I forgot to grab it

I looked at the download but it is kind of hard to navigate. I’ll have to spend more time with it. I don’t know where to start in the manual.

I don’t know where to start in the manual.
Go the introduction and look through the various chapters including the diagrams. They are fairly self explanatory. They have a lot of information about reuseable and non reusable parts, torque specs in metric and imperial., engine fault diagnosis etc. You don't have to know it all, you just need to know its there so you can have a look when needed.
If you have a printer, print copies of pages you need and take it to the job.

Is it running yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom