FJ80 Fuel Pump Issues? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all, I’m new here! I have a 1991 Toyota Landcruiser 80 Series. Today while driving she sputtered, stalled, her automatic steering went, and she said “see ya” for about 2 minutes. I was able to get her started back up and get her home. All signs point to her fuel pump failing, I’m assuming. I know her fuel pump sits below the back rear seats, but I’ve never replaced a pump before.

I’m confident I can, but before I do, am I on the right track here? Also, any tips on replacing the fuel pump? There are no videos or guidelines that I can seem to find.

Hi all, I’m new here! I have a 1991 Toyota Landcruiser 80 Series. Today while driving she sputtered, stalled, her automatic steering went, and she said “see ya” for about 2 minutes. I was able to get her started back up and get her home. All signs point to her fuel pump failing, I’m assuming. I know her fuel pump sits below the back rear seats, but I’ve never replaced a pump before.

I’m confident I can, but before I do, am I on the right track here? Also, any tips on replacing the fuel pump? There are no videos or guidelines that I can seem to find.
Why are you so convinced it's the fuel pump?

Just because it's old?

I recommend proper diagnosis vs the Parts Cannon.

check the EFI Main relay. My parents had a 1990 fj80 3fe many moons ago and the exact same thing happened and it was the relay. It was the 1st issue in our 2 Cruisers we ever experienced so thats when my learning started :)
There is also the fuel pump relay itself that can cause issues.

I think @robnicko is on the right track here. They are known to overheat and stop working.

It’s definitely not the relay - I’ve checked it.
Can you short across the correct terminals and force the fuel pump to run and check fuel pressure?

Replacing the fuel pump is not a difficult procedure, but I would do some real diagnostics first before throwing parts at it. As suggested, verify fuel pressure first.

Remove the center row seats and pull the carpet back. You will see an access panel in the floor that is directly above the fuel pump mount on the tank. 8 small bolts hold the pump/sender assembly to the tank, which are probably rusted in place, so they should be replaced (90159-50219). The supply and return hoses will probably be brittle so be careful. The gasket that seals the assembly to the tank should be replaced (77169-60010).
Fuel pump 23220-43070
Fuel pump pre-filter 23217-11010
Clip for pre-filter 23229-16010

check the EFI Main relay. My parents had a 1990 fj80 3fe many moons ago and the exact same thing happened and it was the relay. It was the 1st issue in our 2 Cruisers we ever experienced so thats when my learning started :)
where is the fuel pump relay? i can't seem to find the relay and fuse map. Is there a fuel pump fuse? Cruiser fired up on starting fluid then starved several times this morning. ordered a fuel filter to start. yeah getting to the pump is kinda tough.

where's the fuel pump relay? I just swapped out the EFI relay and it starts on fluid then starves

this fuse box in the engine bay contains it, the EFI -Main relay
1709674729324.png

and there is also this relay just near it (where the rear windscreen washer diverter is)
1709674846151.png

where's the fuel pump relay? I just swapped out the EFI relay and it starts on fluid then starves
Be certain that the CHECK ENGINE light illuminates with the key in the ON position before cranking the starter. No CEL=No start.

Toyota calls the fuel pump relay on the 3FE a "circuit opening relay". It is located in the left kick panel.
However, you can bypass all fuel pump logic and verify that the fuel pump is working by shorting pins 1-8 (FP-B+) on the diagnostic connector on the firewall. This will fire the fuel pump when the key is in the ON position, assuming all EFI logic is functional. See the first sentence.
See diagrams below:

CheckConnector.jpg

1709676082169.jpeg

Last edited:
Be certain that the CHECK ENGINE light illuminates with the key in the ON position before cranking the starter. No CEL=No start.

Toyota calls the fuel pump relay on the 3FE a "circuit opening relay". It is located in the left kick panel.
However, you can bypass all fuel pump logic and verify that the fuel pump is working by shorting pins 1-8 (FP-B+) on the diagnostic connector on the firewall. This will fire the fuel pump when the key is in the ON position, assuming all EFI logic is functional. See the first sentence.
See diagrams below:

View attachment 3574716

View attachment 3574720
ah yes, forgot about the COR !
effectively 3 points of failure!! why cant there just be one relay i wonder

ah yes, forgot about the COR !
effectively 3 points of failure!! why cant there just be one relay i wonder
Because the EFI relay supplies power to the entire EFI system. The COR is a dual relay that runs the fuel pump. The primary coil is triggered by the starter circuit while cranking. The secondary coil is triggered by the flap in the AFM.

I replaced the fuel pump on my 91 last weekend. It was pretty easy. Google dirt daily 80 series fuel pump. That guy has a couple videos removing, replacing the pump, and reinstalling. It was really helpful for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom