fj80? (beating a dead horse?) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey mud,

I have been on the forum for a while, and have owned all sorts of Land Cruisers (40/45/62/80/100/200). I currently have a 200 series as my daily driver, and thinking about getting back into a wagon for my wheeling/camping rig. I have my eye on a 1991 fj80, and wondering out loud am I crazy for thinking this could be a cool rig for me...?

I really didn't mind (and looking back) preferred the 3FE/H42 I had in my fj62 before I did the 5.3 swap on it. It was gutless but had a totally classic grunt to it. That is what has me thinking that a fj80 would be a fun rig to own. I have had a 1994 and a 1996 fzj80 in the past, and while they are great rigs, I keep wondering if a fj80 would be more simple and ultimately reliable. Or, maybe, is it just because I haven't owned one, and the auto slushbox and AWD will render the rig anemic and I will wish I had the 1FZ...?

A nice fzj80 goes for a pretty penny these days, but a fj80 isn't too bad...

Thoughts?

Happy Easter!

I had a 1991. People rag on the sluggish 3FE, but I loved it.

I kinda think the early 80 Series are a bit more classic and are the underdog.

I’d certainly buy another, especially if I could find a two-tone with low miles.

Edit: found a pic.
4ECC60F9-B09B-4F22-A6C3-87D960C898CF.jpeg

With the parts availability continuing to dwindle I’d have a hard time diving into a 3FE powered truck without the expectation of an engine swap. Honestly that was a hard decision with my 1FZ rebuild as well.

Beyond that, yah, tough as nails. I’d have a hard time transitioning from 200 to 80 with respect to power personally.

With the parts availability continuing to dwindle I’d have a hard time diving into a 3FE powered truck without the expectation of an engine swap. Honestly that was a hard decision with my 1FZ rebuild as well.

Beyond that, yah, tough as nails. I’d have a hard time transitioning from 200 to 80 with respect to power personally.

I hear you about the 200 transition, but I'm trying hard to keep the 200 mostly stock, as it drives great in this setup. For the cost of 200 series mods alone, I can grab a fj80 and then wont worry about scratching it up when I'm in the woods. This would not be my DD, but weekend rig...

I had a 1991. People rag on the sluggish 3FE, but I loved it.

I kinda think the early 80 Series are a bit more classic and are the underdog.

I’d certainly buy another, especially if I could find a two-tone with low miles.

Edit: found a pic.
View attachment 2984434

Nice 80! I have my eye on a brown 2-tone, which is one of my favorite 80 series colors. time will tell!

Most of the mission-critical 3FE engine parts are discontinued. They are solid motors as long as you don't end up needing a distributor, airflow meter, computer, throttle body, power steering idler pulley, air pump, air intake hoses, fuel pressure regulator, cruise control sensor...and a few other things.

This was a bridge-engine used for only 5 model-years. The newest ones out there are now 30 tears old.

Most of the mission-critical 3FE engine parts are discontinued. They are solid motors as long as you don't end up needing a distributor, airflow meter, computer, throttle body, power steering idler pulley, air pump, air intake hoses, fuel pressure regulator, cruise control sensor...and a few other things.

This was a bridge-engine used for only 5 model-years. The newest ones out there are now 30 tears old.

Great points here, which is why I don't intend to depend on an older rig as my DD. I have done it, been there, and having something as a "fun" truck takes the pressure off a bit...

@cruiserdan thanks for that parts list.

What parts have been discontinued from the '93-97?

You could consider getting a foreign market diesel 80 series. In my opinion, they'll withstand the test of time better due to greater OEM and aftermarket parts availability, as the diesel engine was/is far more prevalent on a global scale vs the gas engines primarily made for the US market.

Mostly subjective view, but I've had no issue finding parts for pretty much everything I've needed or could need with my 1995 HDJ81.

You could consider getting a foreign market diesel 80 series. In my opinion, they'll withstand the test of time better due to greater OEM and aftermarket parts availability, as the diesel engine was/is far more prevalent on a global scale vs the gas engines primarily made for the US market.

Mostly subjective view, but I've had no issue finding parts for pretty much everything I've needed or could need with my 1995 HDJ81.
Good luck to me finding one of those for under $$$k

That’s what prompted my thread about an fj80

I think if you commit to the platform, you can make it work.

I wonder how many folks have engine swapped early 80s and how expensive that would be in the long run compared to keeping an 3FE running?
Depends on the swap. A LS swap is pretty cheap and easy to keep on the road. Parts are everywhere new or used. If I fall on hard times I can go to a junk yard and find a ton of LS parts to get me by. The big benefit is parts availability. I can get parts at any parts store. Which is a big deal when on a trip somewhere. Will auto zone in the middle of Utah have a alternator for a 3fe? No. Neither will the Toyota dealer. They probably won't have the alternator for a 1fzfe either.

Aside from the 1fz, I like the 93+ better for the 4 wheel disc and ff rear end.

If you like cloth seats those are much harder to find in a 93+.

I own a 91, and I've driven a bunch of 80's - they're all slow when compared to modern vehicles. I personally think the fj80s are the sweet spot in the market nowadays - they're priced lower than later years.

In the case of an expensive engine repair, or a NLA part that just can't be sourced, I suspect most of us are going to swap in a 5.3 regardless of whether we have a 3fe or a 1fz

I have owned my 91 for over 6 yrs now and i have nothing but good thing to say about the 3FE and I would not hesitate to get another 3FE if i am to do it over again. Nothing against the 1FZ-FE but i prefer reliability and simplicity over a a little more power on paper and known HG issues.

I have owned my 91 for over 6 yrs now and i have nothing but good thing to say about the 3FE and I would not hesitate to get another 3FE if i am to do it over again. Nothing against the 1FZ-FE but i prefer reliability and simplicity over a a little more power on paper and known HG issues.

@Marco Lau what mods did you do to your transmission to be able to deal with the 37's?

@Marco Lau what mods did you do to your transmission to be able to deal with the 37's?
I have the nomad wholesale HD valve body upgrade, it has 2nd and 3rd lockup. Might be the most bang for the bucks modification i have done to the rig and certainly transform the driving experience when pulling steep grades and higher elevations.

Well I live in a small town of less then 10,000 people only twoTraffic signals in the hole town I just called AutoZone and they had a alternator in stock for the 1FZ 😉
I thank parts availability is better with the 1FZ IMHO they are reliable and simple and have ton less of vacuum line.
That being said I think if you can get your hands on a good 3FE go for it.
You can always upgrade to the full float rear axle and the bigger front brakes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom