FJ62 - rear end sag (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So my 90 FJ62 had an OME/Dakar lift that the previous owner had installed before I obtained this vehicle a couple years back. I have no idea how long ago it was installed, or what type of kit it was - it appears that it was the 3" lift from what I can tell.

I have since done all sorts of upgrades to this thing tires, rims, paint, bodywork, bumpers, etc. I find that the front end sits nicely, but the back is sagging a bit much for my liking. I'd like it to sit about 1 1/2 - 2" higher, but I'm not sure the best way to go about this. I've already added a leaf in the back, which brought it up a little but was barely noticeable.

Should I just swap out the rear with a brand new set of OME heavy springs? Is there anything I can do with the shackles that would be simpler? I really don't know a lot about suspension so I'm not sure what would be my best option. I don't want to go SOA, but I've seen a lot of other 60's that sit higher than mine and are exactly what I'd like and they aren't SOA.

I did try the search function, but it didn't provide what I was looking for so I thought I'd just try the direct route and ask.

Here's a pic of how it sits now.

YvSQlAY.jpg

I believe OME/Dakar sells an add-a-leaf that can be placed into the spring pack. It essentially makes the OME medium springs into heavies. Oops! I see you've already added a leaf. Hmmm....

Depending on how long your rear shackles already are, longer rear shackles are an option.

I installed SOR's longer 'extreme' greasable shackles in the rear with my new 8 leaf rear springs and that combo works GREAT offroad. Perfect match. I put several hundreds of miles on them off road (in Baja MX) with a fully loaded cruiser and the setup was perfect. Very nice.

You can't go too crazy with longer shackles in the rear, but an additional 1-2" heavy duty shackle matched to longer heavy duty springs can work great.

image.jpeg

Mattressking is correct. The rear shackle angle will dictate whether a longer shackle will help. Be careful about adding longer shackles as it can mess up the shackle angle and make your ride really rough.

When I went spring over axle I went stock springs plus one add a leaf. The setup worked for awhile until cyclic loading over a long time period flattened them out since I wasn't running bump stops.

The poor mans way to address your issue is to add more long leafs. You will constantly be adding or adjusting until you get the right ride height but it is affordable and keeps you from dumping big coin.

The permanent one time and do it right way is to purchase OME heavies or a custom spring pack from one of many manufacturers (Deaver, Alecan, or whomever you prefer) but at a more expensive cost.

Watching this , Looks like you have a aftermarket rear bumper / tire carrier, I have the same with 2 Jerry cans as well. Empty it sits ok but loaded with camping gear it does sag a little and that's with ome Heavies all around.. I was thinking the ome add a leaf but if it didn't help you I may need to do something different

But remember- when the cruiser body is setting perfectly level, no sag, the front wheel well has a much larger gap between the top of the tire & the bottom of the fender than the rear. Maybe a couple inches. When I look at your picture again now, the cruiser looks like it's sitting level. Factory level. Maybe you don't like that look, but it looks 'normal' to me. If anything, the back end looks like it's 1/2" or so high.

Look into the OME long add a leafs! Count how many total leaves are in the rear packs, check to see if you need new center bolts; long enough for another leaf each, or more.
You will need new U bolts as well. Kurt at cruiseroutfitters @cruiseroutfit will have all you need!

I added them to mine, and it's stink bug when empty, and level when loaded! Drives soo nice when loaded too!

"I like big butts and I can not lie
You other brothers can't deny
That when a girl walks in with an itty bitty waist
And a round thing in your face
You get sprung..."

Only an opinion of course, but your truck looks good. Not really any sag at all. I have seen far worse.
But good luck with your search. I know how it is when something gets under your skin like that.

You can try another set of add -a-leafs. Or installed this Tueadsyyou can get custom springs made for about the price of OME from Alcan Springs.
The guys there are great to work with .
Alcan Spring - Manufactures Fine Custom Leaf Springs

I am getting my Alcans installed this Tuesday .

This might sound like a strange thought but I have a new OME heavy suspension to put in and I'd rather not see it sag over time. I was wondering if storing the vehicle on blocks on the frame to take weight off the springs would help. I think I already know the answer, I just haven't heard of anyone doing this. This wouldn't work for a DD but for infrequent use, why not. Just wheel the floor jack around to the 4 corners and throw blocks underneath.

It most definitely will help.
On really long camping excursion trips my cruiser would be way overloaded with supplies and extra fuel so when I got to camp I’d jack up the rear of the cruiser from the chassis to level it out and take the load off the rear springs and it definitely helped them retain their arch weeks or months later when I break camp and move. Then at the next spot - I’d jack it back up again. Rear springs got only loaded for the drive. At camp they got to relax using the jack as their crutch and it seemed to me that it helped when driving.

This might sound like a strange thought but I have a new OME heavy suspension to put in and I'd rather not see it sag over time. I was wondering if storing the vehicle on blocks on the frame to take weight off the springs would help. I think I already know the answer, I just haven't heard of anyone doing this. This wouldn't work for a DD but for infrequent use, why not. Just wheel the floor jack around to the 4 corners and throw blocks underneath.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom