Tie Tod End Conundrum (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looks like I found an unexpected weak point in the tie rod end connection to my pitman arm when using a puller. Is a BFH really my only option to try to get this out at this point? I’ve given it a solid effort with a hammer to no avail.

Once I get this out I’ll be ready to get my new ends and steering stabilizer ordered and installed. Should be the completion of my front end work for now once this gets done.
IMG_6905.jpeg

It looks like you could thread the nut back on top and use a tie rod separator to push it down and out from the top. I have this $20 one from Horrible Freight, and it works surprisingly well.

If you have to destroy the ball to get it out, don't fret. A new relay rod end kit will come with a new ball to replace it.

One last thing...when you replace those ball-and-socket ends, you will need to adjust them. Pull the cotter pin and tighten the end with a large flat head (slotted) screwdriver until they bottom out. Then back off a quarter turn and replace the pin.

Last edited:
Remove the pitman arm, THEN wrastle with getting that stuck mo-fo out. It won’t be too difficult then. BFH should do the job.

BFH and a demo ball joint separator from auto zone and I’m back in business. The hammer alone wasn’t doing it, but a few taps while under pressure from the puller and it broke loose. Thanks for the brainstorming.

IMG_6908.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom