FJ62 LED Rear Lights (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone have a good source for swapping out all the rear exterior lights to LED replacements?
Cheers!

superbrightleds.com

Or your LAPS. Common 1156 and 1157 bulbs are easy to find LED replacements. I recommend not changing your turn signals because it necessitates adding a resistor to the flasher circuit. Just not worth it. LED reverse lights are wonderful. Be sure to get the colored bulbs to match the lens.

Does anyone have a good source for swapping out all the rear exterior lights to LED replacements?
Cheers!
Cheers!
….. in ‘MUD’s Small Business Storefront has everything you need. 😊

I think a couple here on Mud use the Digi-Tails tail light panels. I've been planning to go with these when I pull apart my assemblies to clean them, put brighter reverse light LEDs in and put LEDs in the front turn signals.

….. in ‘MUD’s Small Business Storefront has everything you need. 😊
their tail light leds are the best, and so is the turn signal relay, simple to install and the hyperflashing is gone.

I think a couple here on Mud use the Digi-Tails tail light panels. I've been planning to go with these when I pull apart my assemblies to clean them, put brighter reverse light LEDs in and put LEDs in the front turn signals.

I have the Digi-tail light panels for my rear lights. They worked great and no problem with blinker relay. They are very bright!

@jimi5Stone as Chase mentioned above, I take the original OEM flasher units and modify them to work with LEDs. The bulbs flash nice and slow, but within DOT specs. It’s plug & play. Nothing dangling down, no zip ties. I’ve done electronics repair by trade and the circuit board and components that Toyota used are very high quality stuff. The relay is beefy as hell. I’ve ordered some of the Amazon LED flasher units just to check them out and they’re … not great. Low-tolerance, low-spec components, and tons of flux left all over the PC boards which will eventually eat away at them or become conductive, or both. And no, the modification I’m doing is not cutting out a resistor or adding one - both work but put far more current load on the transistors than I’d like to see, at least from a longevity perspective. I traced the circuit and actually make appropriate modifications that don’t stress the other components.

For bulbs, I really like SuperBrightLEDs. They’ve lasted longer than anything else I’ve tried (still running them), and they have options for mellower, warmer white bulbs that look more original to the truck’s age. For a given bulb they have lots of options for different lumen brightness too.

superbrightleds.com

Or your LAPS. Common 1156 and 1157 bulbs are easy to find LED replacements. I recommend not changing your turn signals because it necessitates adding a resistor to the flasher circuit. Just not worth it. LED reverse lights are wonderful. Be sure to get the colored bulbs to match the lens.
This - I should have known as it did it to my other car. Now I have a 2000-like civic type of turn signal. Not a good look.

Check these out….. I think they are same as digi panel
PRE-ORDER: LED taillight bulbs kit for 60 Series Landcruiser - By DigiTails - https://siegeoverland.com/collections/lights-lighting/products/led-tail-lights-60-series-inserts

IMG_0346.jpeg
IMG_0345.jpeg
IMG_0344.jpeg

2-3 month wait.

I wonder why these are listed for $204 while the 12V ones direct from Digi-Tails are still listed for $149.

@jimi5Stone as Chase mentioned above, I take the original OEM flasher units and modify them to work with LEDs. The bulbs flash nice and slow, but within DOT specs. It’s plug & play. Nothing dangling down, no zip ties. I’ve done electronics repair by trade and the circuit board and components that Toyota used are very high quality stuff. The relay is beefy as hell. I’ve ordered some of the Amazon LED flasher units just to check them out and they’re … not great. Low-tolerance, low-spec components, and tons of flux left all over the PC boards which will eventually eat away at them or become conductive, or both. And no, the modification I’m doing is not cutting out a resistor or adding one - both work but put far more current load on the transistors than I’d like to see, at least from a longevity perspective. I traced the circuit and actually make appropriate modifications that don’t stress the other components.

For bulbs, I really like SuperBrightLEDs. They’ve lasted longer than anything else I’ve tried (still running them), and they have options for mellower, warmer white bulbs that look more original to the truck’s age. For a given bulb they have lots of options for different lumen brightness too.
Do I need this OEM Flasher if I use the Digitails LED lights? Or in your professional opinion are the SuperBrights the way to go. Thanks for the help!

Do I need this OEM Flasher if I use the Digitails LED lights? Or in your professional opinion are the SuperBrights the way to go. Thanks for the help!
I am not sure if the digitails have something built in to accommodate a stock flasher or not. Does their documentation mention the need for an aftermarket LED flasher module?

Personally I don't like the look of a grid of tiny LEDs, hence I went with LEDs in the shape of regular bulbs. No issues with the SuperBrightLEDs products thus far and I've been using them in a few vehicles over the course of the last five years. I don't know if the Digitails have any kind of noticeable failure rate, but I haven't heard of them. That would be something to look into. Otherwise it's a matter of taste!

I am not sure if the digitails have something built in to accommodate a stock flasher or not. Does their documentation mention the need for an aftermarket LED flasher module?

Personally I don't like the look of a grid of tiny LEDs, hence I went with LEDs in the shape of regular bulbs. No issues with the SuperBrightLEDs products thus far and I've been using them in a few vehicles over the course of the last five years. I don't know if the Digitails have any kind of noticeable failure rate, but I haven't heard of them. That would be something to look into. Otherwise it's a matter of taste!
Awesome Do you have the bulb numbers from SuperBright for what's need to do everything in the rear? I have one of your flasher units in my cart. Thanks!

I did not need a flasher for the digi tails. I did need a flasher when I changed my forward blinkers to LED bulbs. The digi tails are bright!! you will be seen with those tail lights.

The red (tail/brake) is a red 1157, so if you want to go LED I would maybe go with this: Bony-eared assfish - Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bony-eared_assfish

The amber (turn) is an amber 1156, so that'd be this guy: 1156 LED Bulb - 27 SMD LED Tower - BA15S Base - https://www.superbrightleds.com/catalog/product/view/id/202524/s/1156-led-bulb-27-smd-led-tower-ba15s-base/category/2/+color-Amber

Reverse I can't remember if it's an 1156 or an 89, but I would just go with the brightest you can find and physically fit for that one.

if you go LED and swap out bulb by bulb, get these for your reverse light.

They are so bright, 3600 lumens was the brightest I saw. Literally if you only swap one set of bulbs on your whole cruiser, swap these. the bright white reverse light from the projector end, is soooo nice. swapped min in 2021, I did a quick scan just now and didn't see any brighter than these.

So worth it.

The rest I'd just get from super bright LED, I used Superbright on my 40, and amazon on my 60 and trailer, and I've had to replace some of the amazon ones, in the trailer that are on the out side. Even after replacing with water proof ones. Super Brights quality is just better. The Led units are good, but the rest on the amazon are cheap and not as long lasting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom