FJ62 Overdrive Switch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

diesellibrarian

SILVER Star
Threads
Hi everyone -

I'm trying to rectify some of the terrible deeds that were done to the wiring of my 62 by some previous owner. When I pulled the O/D switch, I found that none of the wires were attached to anything (strangely, the O/D still seems to kick in at around 50 mph).

I have looked at every square inch of the FJ62 wiring diagram, and can find no reference to the O/D switch, nor the wiring that runs to/from it. Has anyone torn into this system? Should I just ditch it altogether? I can't really foresee a situation where I'd want to turn off the O/D.

Thanks!
Robin

IMG_3696.JPG

IMG_3697.JPG

The overdrive function is not electric on an FJ62. It's one of the 4 positions available on the automatic shifter. Whatever wiring you're looking at is not part of the transmission. What switch is the wiring connected to?

. What switch is the wiring connected to?

That’s just the thing - the wires aren’t connected to anything. The switch looks factory but, as I mentioned, the O/D (i.e lockout?) works ok.

Maybe I’ll redeploy it as a killswitch.

The A440F transmission is all mechanical. The switch you have in there was not stock. Someone grabbed a switch from a second gen 4runner (or similar toyota models from 90-95) and threw it in the slot.

The A440F transmission is all mechanical. The switch you have in there was not stock. Someone grabbed a switch from a second gen 4runner (or similar toyota models from 90-95) and threw it in the slot.

I actually have a 95 4Runner and the O/D switch is on the shifter, but yes your point is well taken. Certainly explains why it didn't appear on the wiring diagram, haha!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom