FJ62 LED swap out (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I reckon I'll put my LED table up as I noticed a few differences in bulb sizes from the other tables out there. I didn't want to monkey with a new flasher for the indicators and I did not have any luck with fitment for the rear/brake light bulbs. I tried several 1157s LEDs and most of them seem too long for the socket. All of the bulbs are from SuperBrightLED or the PFranLED. It is amazing how dark it was inside. Enjoy.
LED_zpsad9893af.jpg

Brake/running Lights 1157-R45-T dual intensity 45 SMD tower from superbrightled.com

Last edited:
Awesome! Thanks for sharing!

Love PFran! great customer service!

T

I picked up a couple brake/running light leds for my 60. After install, the running lights cane on with the brake lights, but the brake lights did not come on with the running lights (dash included). Pulled them out, and all was good. I figured it was crappy lights from Wal-Mart, but then I saw an episode of gas monkey garage and they had the same problem. Those bozos attributed it to needing to ground each bulb individually. Which world be hard with integrated brake/running lights.
I still would like to replace them if I could find a led bulb that worked...

A buddy gave me taillight/brake bulbs that did the same thing in his '95 LC and after extensive testing in my '89 FJ62, I concluded the polarity of the bulbs is wrong for the Land Cruiser. The same bulbs worked in his Hyundai, whose polarity is the opposite. The sources on eBay are too vague to determine polarity up front and whether they will REALLY work in an old Land Cruiser.

I'll stick with traditional brake lights and LED dome lights.

Just to confirm, on your chart the parking brake is WLED-WHP9. On SuperBrightLEDs.com, its WLED-WHP9-T. Is this the model you used? Is there any difference? The "T" stands for tower. I just want to doublecheck before I spend $12 on lights. Yes, I'm cheap.

Another question, I didn't see an AC button light. Is the AC button illuminated by the switch light, or some other source?

Do you mean the front parking lights?

If so I did used the WLED-WHP9-T. It is the cool white color so it is pretty bright compared to the old yellow headlights.

The A/C uses a NEO5-B but requires swapping the LED bulb into the OEM bulb base. I didn't want to jimmy it so I just left it.

Hope that helps out.

I think we're on the right page with the parking lights- first row on the exterior light table. Sweet, that's what I got.

I don't have the LED's yet, and would like to crack my dash open only once, so I'll have to go back to your post about the A/C button when I get to it. Thanks for the advice! You wouldn't happen to have any pics of your swap, would you? I haven't opened up my dash before. I know there are threads out here, but I've found each rig has their own nuances, and I expect mine to be no different.......or, different.

I have some before and after of the lights but none of the process. It is pretty easy. 9 screws for the upper with 4 plugs and the speedo cable and 2 screws for the lower. The heater slider cover just snaps off. It should be noted the 3022-xHP4 is pretty bright and does create somewhat of a hot spot. It might be good to shield it a little. A surprising big thing was how much dirt was behind my dash.

I agree with you on that one. Each rig has its own way. That is why I posted my list for the newer FJ62 because I ran into some bulb variance to the older FJ62s. (seat belt, brights) and I changed to the 120' (WLED-G-120) becuase the 90' was a green laser strobe that could give you a seizure. When you get to it hit me up if you have any questions.

I did the dapper lighting projection hid. They are amazing.

I did the dapper lighting test for the 4 rectangle lights on the fj62 and was less
than impressed. the lights weren't sealed so I have a bunch of dead bugs in the lense, the light pattern left a dead spot in the middle and they didn't have high beams at the time so just had the two low beams HIDs with high bram halogens. they don't have high/low on them so the lows just stay on. i think there's a little room for improvement with these lights yet. I went back to Hellas with higher wat bulbs and absolutely love them. just my 2cents

You let the guys at Dapper know that you are not as pleased? I'm sure they would like the feedback.

Exactly :)

I have only seen one post about Digital HID's, and it was nothing but praise. I've been looking at the 55w kit. The biggest reason is they have a lifetime warranty and, apparently, great service. Does anyone else have info on them?

Stupid question about these LED swaps - are they completely plug and play, or is there additional monkeying required with circuitry/fuses/etc.? You just buy a new dome LED, for example, plug it in... all illuminated?

So far, yes. The dome light and cargo are plug and play, you just need to be careful with the wires. They are delicate where they insert into the light themselves. At least for the reverse lights, its just replacing a bulb. Mace can go more into detail with the other lights. I have a box of LEDs waiting to go into my dash.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom