FJ62 Fire Truck?!?! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

How cool is this?! Somebody buy this thing!

I’ve seen this one and a couple others like it. There’s a dealer here in Seattle who gets all kinds of interesting JDM vehicles including Toyota and Mitsu micro-fire trucks.

The issue with these is they’re not really good for much other than what they were designed for: navigating narrow Japanese streets and alleys. Around town, you’ve got little usable space, and forget off-roading with that high C of G and overhangs. The conversions are also kind of a 10 foot job: get up close and you see the rusty welds and rivets. Best case would be some kind of a promotional vehicle for a fire-themed business.

On the other hand, they all seem to have really low miles. The Mistu cab-over I looked at last month had 40k km, which is like 25k in Freedom Units. Barely broken in!

These must have gotten a random assortment of parts. FJ62 tag on the firewall. FJ60 round headlights, manual transmission, 70 Series(?) steering wheel, carbureted 3F. Also I thought “FJ62” wasn’t official until 1988. Maybe different overseas?

I wonder if they were all spec’d out this way or if there was some variance over the production dates. Anyone know?

Holy *hit, I just realized this one has 6k miles. Missed that part. Still, $30k 😬

Yeah, these little fire rigs look like Toyota parts bin specials. Never seen those fender mirrors on a civilian 6x.

These must have gotten a random assortment of parts. FJ62 tag on the firewall. FJ60 round headlights, manual transmission, 70 Series(?) steering wheel, carbureted 3F. Also I thought “FJ62” wasn’t official until 1988. Maybe different overseas?

I wonder if they were all spec’d out this way or if there was some variance over the production dates. Anyone know?

USA is the odd egg. ROW (rest of world) received FJ62s starting in 84. Still had round headlights, early dash, 3/4/5spd and motor went to 3F with carb along with various other little things. We just got the late version with fuel injection and auto only. The lamest one :(

1980-toyota-land-cruiser-fire-engine.jpg

Works better as a 55, IMO 😄

There's one in San Marcos, TX too. From what I have heard, it's been FS for quite a while

62 FIRE.jpeg

62 FIE.jpeg

62FIER.jpeg

Post #9 was mine. Low mile fun around town but not that practical. The 62 looks like it could be a cool start to a build but pricey.

I'm with everybody else who's thinking about quad-cab high-roof 60-series pickups, now. I want to see one with a flatbed and one of the sexier offroad pop-up campers for Tacos and Colorados that are on the market these days (or something more permanent like a DIY Ursa Minor, but I think a regular 60 would work just as well as a starting point for a permanent pop-up build).

We should probably stick it on an 80-series chassis/suspension/axles with a 1HD-T and H151f while we're at it. Round headlights from a 60 completes the build, if we're having a shared pipe dream...

That 62 appears to be in far better condition than Jay.

Last edited:
Post #9 was mine. Low mile fun around town but not that practical. The 62 looks like it could be a cool start to a build but pricey.
Jason ! I have an instrument cluster from the fire-truck. super low kms! the fire-truck was parted out and I saved the cluster 🙃

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom