FJ62 distributor pickup coil help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That is all the coil ground reversing thru the only circuit available. It will do it again.

There are pics on here from rotors melting, and spinning out 3D filament strands from the same prob.

Better order the six pack at least...

That is all the coil ground reversing thru the only circuit available. It will do it again.

There are pics on here from rotors melting, and spinning out 3D filament strands from the same prob.

Better order the six pack at least...
That is a good bit of automotive archeology.

That is a good bit of automotive archeology.
Actually, that's a good bit of bull****. The distributor pick up coils have no common connection to the ignition coil or igniter. There's the ECU in the middle and they don't share a ground.

Last edited:
"These sensors generate AC voltage, and do not need an external power supply. Another common characteristic is that they have two wires to
carry the AC voltage. The wires are twisted and shielded to prevent electrical interference from
disrupting the signal."

https://www.engine-sensors.com/toyota-sensor-troubleshooting.pdf
Congratulations. You just explained how a pickup coil works. We learned that in 7th grade science class. What's your point?

Last edited:
So, key on powers the blower fan and resistor circuit (up to 20 amps on low, using all the resistors) , the coil circuit, and then when switching to ST, you get the starter draw.

Add some bad circuit resistance, and you are pulling a ton of amps thru these.

When the alt kicks in, you get a signal for large circuit draw, and it will put out 14.?v, instead of 13.? , which puts stress on the fusible links, and any wiring sheaths in line.

All scenarios are reduced by leaving blower motor off when starting, and allowing any extra amps to recirculate thru the coil/ignitor grounds, and keeping the draw down on the battery.

So, key on powers the blower fan and resistor circuit (up to 20 amps on low, using all the resistors) , the coil circuit, and then when switching to ST, you get the starter draw.

Add some bad circuit resistance, and you are pulling a ton of amps thru these.

When the alt kicks in, you get a signal for large circuit draw, and it will put out 14.?v, instead of 13.? , which puts stress on the fusible links, and any wiring sheaths in line.

All scenarios are reduced by leaving blower motor off when starting, and allowing any extra amps to recirculate thru the coil/ignitor grounds, and keeping the draw down on the battery.
There's a song by the group America called "Ventura Highway". I've heard it for 30 years, I can sort of sing along with it, but I never really listened to the words until I was recently stuck in traffic and it came on the radio.
Essentially it is random phrases strung together with no cohesive meaning. It is exactly like your posts. Random thoughts strung together with no basis in reality.
You really need to read a book on basic electronics and electronic theory. Maybe you should take a class at your local vocational school.

Huge thanks to @torfab who had a good used 3FE distributor. Swapped the pickup coils and its smooth running and fast starting now :)

Very unlikely that both pick up coils are reading open. Are you certain you're checking them correctly according to the FSM?

View attachment 1832713
Jon, I was recently testing my '88 FJ62 distributor pickup coils (they failed according to my FSM), but my FSM has different ranges than the one you posted here. Any idea which one is correct?
FSM pickup coil test.jpg

Jon, I was recently testing my '88 FJ62 distributor pickup coils (they failed according to my FSM), but my FSM has different ranges than the one you posted here. Any idea which one is correct?
View attachment 2587412
180 is correct. Not 1800 :)

FWIW, I don't have a 62, but I've seen lots of aftermarket (Chinese) FJ62 (3FE) distributors on fleabay. The pickup (Signal Generator) might be swappable from those because I don't think the signal gen for those is available anywhere. No part # either in the EPC.

Hi, Seems like we could find some non Chinese parts if we can determine the specs of the Toyota part. Mike

Yes, there is a typo in the 1991 FSM. As stated it should read 140-180 ohms. This was corrected some years ago in my 3FE EFI diagnostic. That document now lives in the resources section.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom