FJ62 distributor pickup coil help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

red66toy

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Got a no start this morning in the FJ62. Looks like the pickup coils within the distributor are bad! Anyone ever swapped these out for new ones? Have a source? Or do I need to replace the whole assembly? :/

Can easily be a bad coil ground. Clean and reattach hold down cage bolts, then run a wire from ignitor case to solid ground. Tell us if it works for you.

Can easily be a bad coil ground. Clean and reattach hold down cage bolts, then run a wire from ignitor case to solid ground. Tell us if it works for you.
The igniter and coil all tested good actually. I tested the pickup coils within the dizzy and that showed the open circuit.

Did you check for codes to narrow it down?

I've had two 3FE distributors fail and both times just swapped in a replacement. Mine failed because the fresh air intake feeding into the distributor cap was plugged and caustic fumes accumulated inside the cap and killed the electronic stuff. I think any 3FE distributor will work whether from FJ62 or FJ80.

Usally not the parts, it's that the coil circuit has to collapse to ground, thru the hold down cage. If that is dirty or rusty, it raises serious resistance probs. hence the extra ground wire, which they added in the 100 seri

Did you check for codes to narrow it down?

I've had two 3FE distributors fail and both times just swapped in a replacement. Mine failed because the fresh air intake feeding into the distributor cap was plugged and caustic fumes accumulated inside the cap and killed the electronic stuff. I think any 3FE distributor will work whether from FJ62 or FJ80.
I have had oxidation issues on the internal cap terminals. Maybe mine is plugged too. I’ll check that. Edit: nope I can pull and push air through

Last edited:
Usally not the parts, it's that the coil circuit has to collapse to ground, thru the hold down cage. If that is dirty or rusty, it raises serious resistance probs. hence the extra ground wire, which they added in the 100 seri
Measured ground resistance from igniter case to battery at 0.5ohms. I assume that is ok?

The igniter and coil all tested good actually. I tested the pickup coils within the dizzy and that showed the open circuit.
Very unlikely that both pick up coils are reading open. Are you certain you're checking them correctly according to the FSM?

CoilTest 3FE.jpg

Very unlikely that both pick up coils are reading open. Are you certain you're checking them correctly according to the FSM?

View attachment 1832713
I get the open circuit only between G and G- . The other NE and G- have spec resistance. I also get no spark when cranking

I get the open circuit only between G and G- . The other NE and G- have spec resistance. I also get no spark when cranking
You won't get spark if one of the coils is open.
Those coils are not replaceable, at least not with OEM parts. Jim Godwin is correct. Any 3FE distributor will work.
Run over to the parting out section, or give Jason @arcteryx a shout. He's usually got some tasty nuggets.

I assume y

Those coils are not replaceable, at lease not with OEM parts. Jim Godwin is correct. Any 3FE distributor will work.
Run over to the parting out section, or give Jason @arcteryx a shout. He's usually got some tasty nuggets.
Thanks. That is what I feared. I couldn't find any pickup coils as a separate unit. Bummer.

Thanks. That is what I feared. I couldn't find any pickup coils as a separate unit. Bummer.
If you pull the dissy, you may be able to find the issue. It's possible that the connector on the side of the housing has a bad pin, but at that point you might as well replace with a known good unit.

Oh, and be sure to add a ground wire to your igniter for no reason ;)

I took a gamble on a Cardone reman dizzy on my 3-FE 80, it has worked fine so far. I put a link below. Might be stating the obvious, but this was my first truck with a distributor; make sure you know your placement and stoke when you remove the old one. I just pulled mine off, and learned some lessons during the install.

http://a.co/d/1v7W3tz

I took a gamble on a Cardone reman dizzy on my 3-FE 80, it has worked fine so far. I put a link below. Might be stating the obvious, but this was my first truck with a distributor; make sure you know your placement and stoke when you remove the old one. I just pulled mine off, and learned some lessons during the install.

http://a.co/d/1v7W3tz
Thanks, yeah I may end up going that route in the end. Definitely a hard lesson in the world of dwindling 3FE parts.

Those coils are not replaceable, at least not with OEM parts. Jim Godwin is correct. Any 3FE distributor will work.

Deo @cruiserjunktion may also have one.

I think I was right about the pickup coils being bad:
45899969261_00f6c94f41.jpg

Took an easy-out to get the corroded screws out and they are coated in a thick fibrous goo. Yum!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom