FJ62 - AC Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.landscrambler.com
I read through most of the existing threads about AC but couldn't seem to find an answer about this.

My question is this: what should the "power" of the fan be coming out of the vents when blowing AC? The air is cold, it just doesn't seem to have any power behind it, even when on the highest level. Also, does your 62 make a sort of whining noise by the passenger side when the AC is on?

Thanks in advance!

I'd suggest taking the fan out and giving it a good cleaning. It's down by the passenger footwell. My fan quit on me recently, so I pulled the motor, cleaned off the connections and body, and it works like new again. Pretty quick and easy.

The fans and vents on 60 series are very powerful, IMO - so it sounds like something needs attention.

I had a similar problem. Noise and barely any flow. Previous owner had installed an aftermarket replacement blower motor and wired it backwards. Check the dumb stuff first!

Yessir, this is the blower fan. Three screws (one is in the middle of the picture) and it drops out.
IMG_6411.JPG

Awesome! Thanks, @Kleatus . Just out of curiosity, since I'm pretty inexperienced with this type of work, how did you know it was wired incorrectly?

That would have to be a reverse polarity check. The only way it would happen is if someone installed an aftermarket fan that required splicing into the original plug/harness. Inspect the plug harness to the fan and if it hasn't been tampered with to rule that out.

Fan spins same speed from 1-Hi?

Drop it down, clean it, then retest like said above. If you have noise from the HVAC box, your fan is most likely going or a lot of dirt/debris slowing it down. Depends on the noise.

Yeah, the fan on my 62 is very powerful.
Much much more powerful than on my 2015 4Runner.

Do you notice an improvement with AC off and just blowing vent air? I had that issue where AC blew nothing but vent seemed to blow fine. I checked the AC evaporator and it looked like a squirrel had been sucked through it :barefoot: - hair, dust, feathers all packed into the evaporator coils. Got a replacement from Rock Auto and blows like a blizzard now.

Do you notice an improvement with AC off and just blowing vent air? I had that issue where AC blew nothing but vent seemed to blow fine. I checked the AC evaporator and it looked like a squirrel had been sucked through it :barefoot: - hair, dust, feathers all packed into the evaporator coils. Got a replacement from Rock Auto and blows like a blizzard now.
Where is the AC evaporator?

I couldn't believe any air got thru at all before I rebuilt my AC box. Not only was there 12 pounds of caked in dirt pine needles bugs and leaves in the inlet and blower, but another 5 in front of the evap core and just impacted all the way thru a lot of the fins. No way to clean it all without removing it... fan blows much better and doesn't whine as it isn't try to tear itself off its spindle... sorry/ hth

Awesome! Thanks, @Kleatus . Just out of curiosity, since I'm pretty inexperienced with this type of work, how did you know it was wired incorrectly?
Like @mattressking has mentioned just check the wiring-mine had a bunch of tape and wire nuts on it! Obviously not factory. I'd bet more of them don't work because everything's clogged up, but the wires being crossed wasn't the first thing I checked, so I thought I'd put it out there.

It blows weak whether AC is on or off.

With the fan assembly off, were you able to get a mirror or phone camera into the opening to the left of the fan assembly? - basically where that screw in the middle of your photo above connects the two. If fan is blowing strong - I suspect you're going to see a few decades of dust and debris - something like this:
IMG_1825.JPG

From there you'll decide whether to clean or replace your evaporator.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom