FJ62 3FE OBD1 diagnostic port corrosion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

leucadiacruiser

SILVER Star
Threads
Somehow haven’t popped the cap on the diagnostic port in the two years I’ve owned it. Today I discovered what appears to be pretty bad corrosion. The search didn’t reveal any answers. Can this be cleaned? Baking soda? Electronics cleaner? Let me know what you know and thanks!

BFD003F3-74A5-4201-BC55-20C1F23FC8F2.jpeg

doesn't look like corrosion, looks more like the anti-corrosion "grease" that has dried out

That ^^^. I ran into this in some old harnesses I parted out. It can be cleaned out but it'll take a bit of work and patience.

Thanks gents - exactly what it was. Now my question is do I repack with fresh anti-corrosion grease? Would dielectric grease work?

@RAGINGMATT would know what to use in the diagnostic port.

Thanks gents - exactly what it was. Now my question is do I repack with fresh anti-corrosion grease? Would dielectric grease work?
@RAGINGMATT would know what to use in the diagnostic port.

what ever u do DO NOT use regular wheel bearing type grease , the petroleum will break down the plastic in a heart beat

i use this alot now all over from my Locksmith work to Die-Electric job scopes , u will need a Epoxy Syringe too to Inject each terminal Bay or Port

clean first with circuit board cleaner like this WD-40 i get from Home-Depot

- first step , pull your positive battery terminal , before any elec work .............

good luck

DSCN9890.JPG

DSCN9891.JPG

DSCN9892.JPG

DSCN9893.JPG

DSCN9894.JPG

factory

Awesome @RAGINGMATT Thanks a ton. Guess I've been lucky haven't needed to get into the OBD yet. Is this something they did at the factory? Or PM from the previous owner?

the Muddy colored stuff in your TCCS ECU Check Connector is a form of Die-electric grease , but dries up after like 10+ years due to age & time

just clean it out & Re-Lube as Prescribed above , and you will be fine , I have used this product super lube on and in the OBDI service

port many times with good success and ZERO issues of any kind , i got on web site years ago , and talk more about the DIE Electric functions

i re-assemble All my Pull switches Now with it too , using a Syringe

its literately My Secret Sauce :)

Thanks for the tips on this thread. I’ve got some OBD corrosion I’m cleaning up. But, when popping off the cover to the box, mine cracked and now won’t stay put. Any ideas on sourcing a replacement? I’ve searched MUD and online and can’t seem to find an OEM replacement for the OBD/diagnostics box cover.

As an alternative, could I just cover up the port with electrical tape?

Thanks for any suggestions.

maybe use tape or a zip tie to hold the lid in place?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom