FJ62, 2-3" lift. What is better, OME or Ironman? Any thoughts? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Interested in a new suspension for my 88 FJ62. Nothing extreme. 2-3"full kit. I'm looking at either OME, with whom I have had much luck . Also looking at the Ironman suspension Kit. It looks legit. Any thoughts? I'll be using this rig as an everyday driver, and weekend trial warrior. Planning to run 33x10.5" on 15 X 8 wheels, and 1-2" wheel spacers from Spidertrax.

After running ome and hell for stout

I wouldn’t go to anything but ome.

arb has put way more research and thought into it than the others so far and it shows

Helped @kengalbraith put the Ironman kit on his 62 not too long ago. Seemed like a high quality kit and definitely rode better afterward, although all 4 original spring packs had broken leaves so that's probably got something to do with it. I just ordered the Dobinson's kit for my 60, FWIW.

Dobinsons is supposed to be a good kit too, but I don’t have experience with them on a 60/62. I do have their progressive long travel springs on my Gx470 and I like them.
They've got a great reputation in Oz and, maybe I'm a sucker, but I like a company that manufactures in-house. I also REALLY don't want a stink-bugged 60.

OME all the way. Call the folks @cruiseroutfit to get you set up. I don't have direct experience with others and am sure they are fine, but OME has been in the game for a long time. Very pleased with my OME setup:

IMG_6018.jpg

First one is heavy OME front and rear, you’ll only end up stink bugged if you set it up wrong, they got good stuff and will keep you right where you want

left to right

ome light 2.5” 33’s
Hell for stout, long shackles 33’s
Unknown spring lift 33’s
Stock worn out stuff 32’s
OME heavy, hell for stout shackles, 35’s

F529022E-F0A5-4299-BF60-019BC5F5D099.jpeg

119E9C14-6329-4DF8-BA67-E74ED0E40A64.jpeg

which springs are you running front/rear? Looks great.

Thankyou. It turned out nice I think. I wanted no stink bug on mine so worked with Kurt @CO to get a level stance. I did the the CS004F in the front and then the CS017RB spring in the rear. Also did slightly extended shackles up front to get some additional height in the front to help level things out. I believe thats medium up front and light in the rear. Also got the firmer 60063 Nitro Shocks up front. I told Kurt I wanted a 'stock look but with the ability to fit 33's'. No plans for this truck to add bumpers or winches. I think he nailed it. Good example of how valuable @cruiseroutfit's input can be. The front has settled some after a couple of years but still works good for me. I might get some add-a-leaves to make the front come up some at some point but right now its just about correct. Its hard to see in the photo but it does lean some so may try and level that out at some point side to side. But for now just enjoying driving it.

I think my experience is a good example of how dialed in you can get with the OME stuff. I assume other makers have similar options but am not sure of that. Might be another reason to go with OME. HTH.

Last edited:
The foam cell pro shocks from iron man are nice.... Much larger fluid capacity than the ome. Had those on my 100, running the ome on my 60.

thanks all. "Stinkbug" I assume this means the front end sits lower then the back end, by more than the intended rake angle....... yes?

OME seems to be the gold standard.

thanks all. "Stinkbug" I assume this means the front end sits lower then the back end, by more then the intended rake angle....... yes?
Yes. Truck sits with its A$$ in the air like a stink bug does. OME used to be known for it.

thanks all. "Stinkbug" I assume this means the front end sits lower then the back end, by more than the intended rake angle....... yes?

OME seems to be the gold standard.
You got it. I doubt you can go wrong any way you choose. Whichever way you go, just support a good vendor. @cruiseroutfit or @crikeymike or whoever. OME, Dobs, Ironman, TT, or Tough Dog, just get after it!

I have Tough Dog on my 62 with the foam cell shocks (installed early 2017). I've beat on it pretty good and put some miles on it. It definately doesn't sit as high as OME heavies but I think the foam cell shocks ride better. It's a softer ride with some more body roll but still very controlled when slow and big hits get soaked up pretty good for an old leaf sprung truck. I can comfortably hit ramped up RR crossings on county roads faster than in my 2010 Tundra with Bilstein 5100s.

You got it. I doubt you can go wrong any way you choose. Whichever way you go, just support a good vendor. @cruiseroutfit or @crikeymike or whoever. OME, Dobs, Ironman, TT, or Tough Dog, just get after it!
True statement!!

Replacing 31+ year old suspension with new will be a massive improvement either way!! Just make sure you don't overshoot the springs when choosing an option from any brand. Constant weight is an extremely important factory in choosing what springs to run so you end up with the correct lift height and ride quality.

I’m running Ironman medium springs with bilstein 5125s. It rides very nice IMO. Fwiw the ubolts/ hardware and bushings that came with the kit are trash. Everything else seems high quality so far after several years of use

The springs have handled up to 30 80lb concrete bags in the back without bottoming out.. sagged quite a bit but that’s 2400lb load

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom