FJ62, 2-3" lift. What is better, OME or Ironman? Any thoughts? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Go with OME.

I had a very reputable shop quote me suspension, and I didn't realize they were quoting me another brand. It was a disaster. They put three different sets of springs on it and finally had to put a shorter shackle on the front to get the nose down to level. It still doesn't have the rake it's supposed to. The first install it leaned to the rear and the driver's side by 1-2". Total $%*^t show.

That was the first, and last, time I will ever pay somebody to install leaf springs, but at least they were able to get some reaction from the distributor. I doubt I, as a DIYer, would have been able to get two more sets of springs from them without a lot of hassle. The shop also took a bath. They had to eat the labor for installing the springs three times.

OME is a known quantity that gives predictable consistently good results.

81691E73-04A2-4792-A024-6BC49BA61D5F.jpeg

Noticed your shackle hanger leaning to the right instead of hanging vertically. You have some fun work coming up soon.

Anyone found out which Fox shocks fit a lifted 60?? I would love to use OME Springs and shackles with Fox 2.0 shocks.

Shocks certainly play a big role. I ran both OME and Bilstein in my FJ60 and the Bilstein were far better. It is widely known OME shocks ride harsh and are stiff. Nothing against them and we used them and all OME products often. If you really want to buy the right shocks, pull whatever are in it, pull sway bars if ya got them, then flex it max compression and max droop. Measure both and go shopping. Easy way to cheat if you can’t get it to compress or droop cause of your limited shop, open up the leaf packs and remove all but two main leaves, reinstall. Now it flexes easy. 😉😆

To cure stink bug and get the ride just right, open the leaf packs up and pull (or rarely add) leaves. Finish any leveling off as needed with shackles.

Get your shackle angles right, get your caster right and your pinion angles.

I have done all that and a little more on a personal FJ60 and it rode, drove and flexed like a dream. I was even blown away by how good it was in the end for leaves all around, it nearly rivaled an 80-series. Best leaf set up I ever had.

For inspiration. 😆

C001EDAD-3C47-45D5-9DB2-BEF6DDB1E68E.jpeg

Cheers

I kinda get what youre sayin...jus not really...if that makes any sense lol. Could it just be bc its hanging on the lift?
I was trying to word it in a nice way to not scare you.

Your frame is rusting out and your shackle hanger is twisting. That’s why that one shackle looks to be leaning out to the right.
502DB4FC-99ED-4C9A-8D6C-82ED86AEA776.jpeg

Here is the better? Side of your frame, notice the rust between the outer and inner channels.
968589ED-ECD0-42A3-BBA1-D603FF18D7D5.jpeg

Not picking on a issue just hoping to point one out while it’s still saveable, I been there as well.
ih8mud inner c channel - Google Search

*side note. I have the ome 2.5 springs, excellent!

Last edited:
I was trying to word it in a nice way to not scare you.

Your frame is rusting out and your shackle hanger is twisting. That’s why that one shackle looks to be leaning out to the right.
View attachment 2609586

Here is the better? Side of your frame, notice the rust between the outer and inner channels.
View attachment 2609603

Not picking on a issue just hoping to point one out while it’s still saveable, I been there as well.
ih8mud inner c channel - Google Search

*side note. I have the ome 2.5 springs, excellent!
Pretty sure youre mistaken...the rust is all superficial surface rust...there no "rusting out" ...

Pretty sure youre mistaken...the rust is all superficial surface rust...there no "rusting out" ...
Maybe the rear angle photo was taken with a wider angle lens and it looks like the shackles aren't straight from lens distortion. If you take a photo of one frame rail, the right side, with the shackle in line, that will show if the mount is leaning/tilted or not.

Maybe the rear angle photo was taken with a wider angle lens and it looks like the shackles aren't straight from lens distortion. If you take a photo of one frame rail, the right side, with the shackle in line, that will show if the mount is leaning/tilted or not.
He certainly could be correct ..but the underneath gas been thoroughly looked over.... Its more likely a camera distortion or bc the rig is lifted. Ill def ck it out...

Go take a closer look, he's definitely not mistaken unfortunately.

Those two channels are absolutely blistering as he described above. Your frame channels will need attention in the future.

1615399302552.png

That is 100% blistering rust blowing the two parts of the frame channel apart.

849C3AA1-0837-4BF8-895B-9864B4A2D5A9.jpeg

I can’t take credit for this unofficial Mud buyers guide but it’s hilariously correct.

I have done plenty of iffy frame repairs up here on issues much much worse than inner c channel rust.
CC08AC0C-F9F6-4388-B6A1-9797B0848BAF.jpeg
3814C2B6-C154-44B1-ABA1-54C383DA7E09.jpeg

I always try to hide the evidence of my shame as best I can. Don’t need a vehicle inspection to pick out a rusty frame reducing my beloved cruiser collection!

ok...so, whats it gnna cost me for dbl C channel replacement surgery?

They bolt. Hard part is removing the old rivets holding the old one together
seems like it would be a good time to replace the leafs...eh?

I'm not sure your leaves need it. I haven't seen a picture of it setting on the ground. But that is a long range tank and will need to come out for the new C-channels. Most 60's have the rust back there. It's on my list too.

I'm not sure your leaves need it. I haven't seen a picture of it setting on the ground. But that is a long range tank and will need to come out for the new C-channels. Most 60's have the rust back there. It's on my list too.
I still dont have a long range tank lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom