FJ60 Transfer case leak?? What am I in for? (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Beehanger

SILVER Star
Threads
Wasn't leaking when I took engine out two years ago, why would this suddenly be leaking?

What am I in for in terms of fixing this myself, full dissasmebly? can one "ignore" a common leak like this? Here's a free pic of my finger covered with what is on there (youll have to pay for pics of full hand)

Dan

tempImagezfREuZ.png

tempImage9RQJBe.png

tempImage6hvFW4.png

tempImagepybzOV.png

Looks like it’s been leaking for quite some time, likely a front output seal which can be R&R’d in place with ease. Buy a new seal and nut, inspect the flange for grooves.

Looks like it’s been leaking for quite some time, likely a front output seal which can be R&R’d in place with ease. Buy a new seal and nut, inspect the flange for grooves.

It is possible the bearing and race are worn out hence the leak?

Sure. Just keep a close eye on the oil levels frequently until you get a feel for how fast it leaks.

My t case looks like yours, it doesn’t drip much, maybe one drop every 3 times I park. I had a quote to re-seal the whole thing that astounded me, not to mention what it would cost if they opened it up and had to rebuild anything. I’m going to let mine drip for now and do a 5 speed swap down the line.

Check the gear oil level in both transmission and transfer, clean up the drip area and monitor for rate of leak, then plan for R&R the front seal if leak is bad. If one or the other is low on gear oil, consider an equalizing hose between filler plugs. The 60 I have overflows from transmission to transfer.

Check the gear oil level in both transmission and transfer, clean up the drip area and monitor for rate of leak, then plan for R&R the front seal if leak is bad. If one or the other is low on gear oil, consider an equalizing hose between filler plugs. The 60 I have overflows from transmission to transfer.
Not sure what an equalizing hose does, are you saying it prevents overflowing?

Just take a read through this thread- bypass hose is discussed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom