FJ60 Radiator Replacement vs new (Austin) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello, I have read through the posts and I cannot find a recommendation for a rebuild shop that is still open in Austin, TX. Any recommendations? Or, if it is not worth fixing what is a good affordable replacement?

I had one repaired at a local radiator shop for about $80. I'm sure you can find somewhere in Austin but on the other side of the coin you could get a Champion Cooling Systems Aluminum radiator for around $200 shipped.

81-90 Toyota FJ65 Land Cruiser Radiators | Champion Radiators

Your stock fan shroud bolts right up. I installed one of these in a friend's Cruiser about a year ago and he's had no issues (daily driven).

In my experience, by the time the metal starts developing hairline cracks at some location (often around to top tank) that's a signal that everything is on its way out. It's corroding from the inside out equally everywhere.

I had my original radiator brazed to patch a leak, which eventually leaked again, which eventually leaked in another place, and had it rodded out - but it was like stuffing rags in the holes of the rotten floor of a canoe- sinking was inevitable.

In hindsight the best course or action (and what I eventually did) was just buy a new radiator and don't waste your money trying to save a sinking ship

Thanks for the quick reply. I ordered it and it should be here this week. I will post some picks to show the install.

Smart move. I had old Toyota radiator in m in my 60. Had it re soldered. Lasted 18 months. That cost almost half the price of new one. Should have bought new one. Lesson learned.

While you are in there consider changing out water pump and fan clutch and hoses, with clamps. Especially if you do not know age.

I replaced my OEM one with a CSF three years ago, 30,000 miles later still holding strong. Shop around, I was able to catch one new on ebay for a much cheaper price than any of the parts websites

I got 2 year/ 20,000 mile out of my CSF before it leaked from a soldered crevice. I won’t fix it. Most places wanted $150 to patch it and $400 for a recore here in Houston.

Never again. I bought a champion for $200 as a temporary replacement until I buy an OEM from overseas. The champion is actually working well and lowered my operating temperature a little.

@EricATX I was having all kinds of overheating issues because my original radiator was just tired. I put in the Champion one a couple weeks ago and I'm very happy with it. 2 things though...1) be careful not to over tighten the nuts on the side mounting plates where the radiator has threaded studs attached. I didn't think I was cranking down on it, but I did have one stud snap off. 2) when you're done and re-filled with coolant, don't forget to burp the temp sender. I spent a good 30 frustrating min trying to figure out why I was still getting hot....false reading. I eventually remembered I hadn't done that yet in all my excitement of finishing the install. Burped it and like HemiAlex said...actually runs a few degrees cooler than before everything went downhill. If anything, it's almost too efficient...meaning I got used to the heater warming up the cab pretty quick on cold mornings. Takes a little longer now!

if you go Aluminum i would suggest using G05 coolant. I had a bad experience using the green stuff

Champion suggests the green.

I think a ground strap will do more for an aluminum radiator long term than then collar.

Champion suggests the green.

I think a ground strap will do more for an aluminum radiator long term than then collar.

Just giving my personal experience. Had one leak within a year with green. Been going on about 8 years in the replacement without issues with the G05. Maybe just coincidence...

Just giving my personal experience. Had one leak within a year with green. Been going on about 8 years in the replacement without issues with the G05. Maybe just coincidence...

I have read the ground strap is key for aluminum regardless of coolant type used. Coolant circulating through both cast iron and aluminum. Science and stuff. No personal experience other than what I have read. Strap 'em up if rolling aluminum :). HTH.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom