Fj60 power steering in a Fj40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Been to the F A Q?

Yes, been through the FAQ, and seen the write ups reguarding this topic, but haven't found anyone offering any measurements on box placement or anything they would have done differently. I know many have done this and there has to be some issues they resolved during this conversion.

Sent from Jay on a HTC Vivid using IH8MUD

I have some comments of that nature in my build thread in my sig line...

The box lined up naturally where the hole in the front of the pitman arm was in line with the large hole in the frame. It actually could go forward just a touch further so as to not have to trim quite so much of the fender as I had to. I have pictures in my thread.

If I were to do it again, I would keep the FJ40 steering column but cut off the rag joint end and grind it to mate up to a Borgeson intermediate shaft with a slip joint. I would also get a custom drag link/relay rod made rather than use 70 series parts. Those are both in the interest of saving time and money, and having a more ergonomic and clean installation in the end.

I have some comments of that nature in my build thread in my sig line...

The box lined up naturally where the hole in the front of the pitman arm was in line with the large hole in the frame. It actually could go forward just a touch further so as to not have to trim quite so much of the fender as I had to. I have pictures in my thread.

If I were to do it again, I would keep the FJ40 steering column but cut off the rag joint end and grind it to mate up to a Borgeson intermediate shaft with a slip joint. I would also get a custom drag link/relay rod made rather than use 70 series parts. Those are both in the interest of saving time and money, and having a more ergonomic and clean installation in the end.

What did you do about the radiator support, I've noticed its going to interfere if I go that far forward. Excellent idea on cutting off the rag joint end, I'll be doing that , thank you.

Sent from Jay on a HTC Vivid using IH8MUD

Nope, I used a plate to space the steering box off the frame and keep it away from the radiator support, so I have about a 1/16" gap between the box and the radiator support. The support rod I still haven't figured out - will probably end up running something back to the firewall or something. Not sure.

Nope, I used a plate to space the steering box off the frame and keep it away from the radiator support, so I have about a 1/16" gap between the box and the radiator support. The support rod I still haven't figured out - will probably end up running something back to the firewall or something. Not sure.

How long have you been going without it?

I haven't figured mine out either - :meh:

Ford shock towers, 1/2-3/4 inch spaced off frame rail, AFCO 3/4 smooth bore joint on stock 40 column to stock 60 input shaft to box. Port the box for hydro if you are going to get it rebuilt.

How long have you been going without it?

I haven't figured mine out either - :meh:

Since I finished it in '09 - hasn't been as many trail runs as I would have liked tho :eek:

Ford shock towers, 1/2-3/4 inch spaced off frame rail, AFCO 3/4 smooth bore joint on stock 40 column to stock 60 input shaft to box. Port the box for hydro if you are going to get it rebuilt.

On mine, I used the Ford shock tower, but cut a V notch in both sides of the shock and bent the shock tower out and welded the cut back up It eliminated the need to use a spacer. Agree to keep the original 40 steering column and mated it to the 60 input shaft. Don't like the direct welding method I've seen to join the shafts. Much better to use a coupling of some sort so it can be removed if necessary.

The only problem so far has been the fact that AFCO does not sell just the cross for the joint, looks like you have to buy a whole joint then take out the cross. Since it only has to deal with people force from the steering wheel I was pretty sure I wouldn't hurt the yokes. Been around 8 years and the cross is starting to have a little play in it. Haven't started looking hard for a cross yet. The slip at the box end gives enough room to remove everything but the yoke on the 40 steering shaft. Main benefit for me was it can't come loose.

My pictures are in Pablo's thread, starting on Page 7, Post 136. I listened to (a lot of) Pablo's advice - there's a lot of good info in his thread.

I didn't go with the 70 steering components, though - I used some custom rods from Front Range Off-Road (FROR). They are beefy, and allowed me to use the FJ-60 Tie Rod ends.

I let the fit of the box and the steering arm determine the geometry. Note, I had flipped my front springs, which changes things as well. You can see where everything ended up, only minor cutting of sheet metal, and no cuts in the radiator mounting.

I did the Ford Shock tower mod - had to cut some out of the drivers side tower on the back (due to the big FJ-55 steering knuckle, which I chose to put on the PS box end), then strengthened it with some stiffeners on the sides.

It is a great mod. It took me 1 weekend, 2 - 8 Hr days with a buddy who did the welding for me.

Rocky

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom