74' FJ40 350 V8 / Minitruck Power Steering Install issues (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Greetings all!

I have a 74' FJ40 with a Chevy 350 V8 that I am attempting to install power steering on. I am running into some interesting issues. Searches have led me to all sorts of extended research into what could be the cause of this misalignment but I have yet to figure out what is causing this. Before I go all out cutting the steering shaft and pedestal bracket I want to get a second set of eyes on this. I had hoped to complete this project without getting the welder out and fabricating something too custom.

Parts I am using:
1984 Toyota 4runner steering gear Lares P/N 5911
- Now superseded by Lares 11576, confirmed by Lares that these are the same P/N)
- Fits 81-85 4WD Toyota Pickups and the 84/85 4Runner.
Cruiser Brothers / Valley Hybrids / William Dorry Pedestal Bracket
- the Alignment holes for this are pre-drilled and not ovaled to allow for any sort of adjustment

Now for the issues at hand:
When installed I ran into some clearance issues with the block hugger headers (Dorman 674501 & 674502 or ATP 101102) interfering with the steering gear itself. This was not a huge issue so I did a bit of grinding on the manifold and flange and got 1/8"+ of clearance around.
header clearance.jpg

Then I ran into an issue where the steering gear does not align with the steering shaft as it was with the original manual steering box.
steering shaft rubbing.jpg
steering shaft.jpg

Here you can see the Steering shaft rubbing the right side of the body when it is bolted up. It does not allow the column inside the truck to be bolted back into place because it is too far to the right and about an inch and a half too long. I had to loosen the steering column to get everything back in and once the rag joint in installed the column will not go back into place.

signal-2023-11-29-15-33-17-167.jpg

- The steering gear seems to sit 3/8" too far inboard, this would make sense for the clearance issue on the engine but if spaced farther outboard the Idler arm would hit the shock.
misalignment.jpg

This shot shows the general misalignment between the steering shaft and the steering gear. It almost looks like the steering gear is "clocked" at 11 o'clock in reference to the steering shaft.

My initial thought was to cut the bracket down and move the steering gear more forward, but then I would have major interference issues with the exhaust manifolds, This is not an option.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what my issue may be?

Thank you greatly
-Zak

It looks like I will be cutting the steering shaft and welding on a new rag joint coupler to remove the extra few inches of shaft length.

JTO sells a weld on coupler.

How where you able to resolve your alignment issue between the shaft and the box?

I have never seen minitruck PS setup with a GM v8, so I'm not used to seeing this manifold interference. Most of minitruck PS pedestals have slightly oversize holes to allow some slop so that the box can be optimally positioned to allow the box's input shaft to be co-linear with the steering shaft. I realize you may still have steering shaft length issues as well. When all the smoke clears, you want no adverse pressure/lateral forces on the steering box input shaft.

In your case, I'd be sure to also run a PS cooler, since you have a blazing hot cast iron manifold 1/8" away from your steering box. I used a 4' loop of fuel line for my PS cooler (mounted in the return/low pressure circuit) and it has worked fine to get rid of excess heat.

Well this thread just turned into a "Don't buy from JTO"

It has been almost 45 days since I took this truck apart and ordered a coupler. JTO site says "In Stock" 10 days later I find out they dont even have them and wont have them for another week. I wait until after the holidays and they ghost me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom