Fj40 power steering gearbox (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Screenshot_20231116_201253_Chrome.jpg
Anybody have any info on this. It says made for fj40 that "has" factory ps. I've heard since I have a manual steering gear box, I'll need to shorten steering wheel shaft to fit this. Any information appreciated.

The PS shaft is 3/4" longer than the manual shaft. Some folks have simply installed a spacer between the steering column and the floor to absorb this extra length. You could also have the shaft professionally shortened and rewelded, I suspect.

That price (if legit) is very good for a genuine FJ40 PS box. You will also need a pump, pump-mount, lines, a cooler (ideally), etc.

The PS shaft is 3/4" longer than the manual shaft. Some folks have simply installed a spacer between the steering column and the floor to absorb this extra length. You could also have the shaft professionally shortened and rewelded, I suspect.

That price (if legit) is very good for a genuine FJ40 PS box. You will also need a pump, pump-mount, lines, a cooler (ideally), etc.
I was thinking Saginaw for the pump, but would love suggestions?

Power steering shaft is actually shorter by 30MM I believe. If you have a 8/80-9/93 US import you have a collapsible steering column. Those you can cut the short longer shaft down in drill and install the pin slides inside the. Longer up shaft. I have never checked to see how much movement the manual steering has but while NLA the shorter shaft does have different part numbers between manual power steering.

I have a factory box with a sag pump and it's a solid setup. Call George at Valley Hybrids and he will set you up with the parts needed. I am running true 33" tires and it moves them around just fine, including on the trails. I used an in-line cooler and was told it's a must have. Given how close the exhaust is to the steering box, it makes sense.
I had my steering shaft shortened by a local fabricator. I found the dimension here on Mud.

I have a factory box with a sag pump and it's a solid setup. Call George at Valley Hybrids and he will set you up with the parts needed. I am running true 33" tires and it moves them around just fine, including on the trails. I used an in-line cooler and was told it's a must have. Given how close the exhaust is to the steering box, it makes sense.
I had my steering shaft shortened by a local fabricator. I found the dimension here on Mud.
Thanks
Power steering shaft is actually shorter by 30MM I believe. If you have a 8/80-9/93 US import you have a collapsible steering column. Those you can cut the short longer shaft down in drill and install the pin slides inside the. Longer up shaft. I have never checked to see how much movement the manual steering has but while NLA the shorter shaft does have different part numbers between manual power steering.
Great info, thanks. Guess I'll understand better what you're talking about when I hack into it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom