Builds fj60 going to EV FJ45 (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well now i know what a Red head box is ,,, Old school Chevy box !
Nice build on this EV See u at Rubithon , Say Hi and hang around

@55guy - the 50/50 chance I was going to make it to Rubithon depended on how kids school schedule played out, and it played out the wrong way. So, I'm not going to make it.

Been looking into the electric hydraulic pump more - and it turns out without a can bus thing telling it the world is okay, it goes into limp mode. the guy that sold it to me had no idea about that. But, fortunately, there are geeks in the world that figure this stuff out. There's a guy running a jeep - gas powered, high horsepower, that is running full hydro with 2 volvo pumps. He figured out how to program and Audrino to talk Canbus to the pump so it will run full power with a knob you can turn if you want and even a GPS sensor so it's speed sensitive. Amazing

While talking to him, he told me about people using electric brake booster out of a Honda. Jesus, I wish I'd known about that months ago. I spent so much time getting 1 vacuum system to not work and then another system vacuum system to work. No I think I'm throwing that all out to do this electric brake and get rid of the vacuum pump. Educations can be very expensive.

Been looking into the electric hydraulic pump more - and it turns out without a can bus thing telling it the world is okay, it goes into limp mode. the guy that sold it to me had no idea about that. But, fortunately, there are geeks in the world that figure this stuff out. There's a guy running a jeep - gas powered, high horsepower, that is running full hydro with 2 volvo pumps. He figured out how to program and Audrino to talk Canbus to the pump so it will run full power with a knob you can turn if you want and even a GPS sensor so it's speed sensitive. Amazing

While talking to him, he told me about people using electric brake booster out of a Honda. Jesus, I wish I'd known about that months ago. I spent so much time getting 1 vacuum system to not work and then another system vacuum system to work. No I think I'm throwing that all out to do this electric brake and get rid of the vacuum pump. Educations can be very expensive.

I hated to hit the like button on this one....

I can relate... spend a lot of time and money on something to just throw it away... I should have a PHD with how much I have spent on education...

I completely agree with educations costing $$$. Ive been down that road to many times. I do want to applaud you on your perseverance in finishing this I can only imagine the frustrating parts. I like to think Im older now and would not react as badly to frustration then I go look for the wrench that took an unexpected flight across the shop.

I was being cheap as per usual when I wanted the fab table I have now. I wanted a 2"x2" grid of 5/8in holes in the top. Got an estimate to have them CNC cut said screw that laid out the holes on CNC plotter and centered on table then center punched all the holes. Bought a mag drill and 5/8in annular cutter with center pin to line up with the center punched marks. Well Im on my second annular cutter spent WAY to many hours drilling the 400 or so holes out of the 595 required for the top. I am still drilling 10-15 or 20 holes every evening and kicking my own @ss for thinking this was a good idea and not having the holes CNC'd.

Good luck i will keep watching and thinking damn what a project...

Okay, moving forward on the hydraulic steering conversion. Had to wait for the bracket needed for the pump that didn't come with the pump. And the right reservoir.

This bracket maybe the ugliest I've built, but it works.

IMG_7123.jpg

IMG_7106.jpg

IMG_7105.jpg

IMG_7103.jpg

IMG_7102.jpg

Also started work on sliders and need some input.

I'm using 2x3 square tube. I'm not sure if it should tuck under the front fender or sit behind it. Or how far our along the tire it should go.

IMG_7118.jpg

IMG_7120.jpg

IMG_7117.jpg

I'd put a 45 on the end to mimic the fender angle.

IMG_7121.jpg

Also, finally found a guy that would do custom flat glass and I have a windshield!!!! On the road to street legal.

My vote is for folded sliders.

20210724_120412.jpg

20210724_120617.jpg
20210731_234310.jpg

I'd also trim the rockers to move everything upwards. I think I took about 1.5".

All great ideas, thanks. think you have to have them at the fender in font, or the corner of the fender is going to take a beating. But, I'm not sure I I want them to taper in going back? or hold more or less the same line (which looks like it's going in because the cab gets wider). I could go up. But, I'm not sure what advantage there is to that? As a step to get in, they are better lower.

When and if you find left overs, links, link mounts, coil overs, tabs, bumps, sway bars, etc.. hit me up, looking to link the rear of my 40 and thought you might have some stuff you didn't use.

The power steering is assembled. The new column bought on Mud worked better, just have to have the end turned down to fit the bearing, but it all went together. Grant adapter went on much more easily as well. Tack welded the bar at the dash to the tube - seemed like the easiest thing to do. Build PSC power steering hoses, super easy. Just need to find a cap/plug for the extra inlet on the Volvo power steering pump. Next is to install the canbus controller and integrate it into the system and get power to it. Should be back driving in a couple of days.

IMG_7236.jpg

IMG_7237.jpg

IMG_7235.jpg

IMG_7234.jpg

IMG_7233.jpg

Can we see a picture of that "1.21 Gigawatts!?! Electric Motor ( Great Scott ! )
I"m impressed , :beer:
:beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer:

very cool. Definitely watching keenly to see how the Volvo pump does

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom