Builds fj60 going to EV FJ45 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Okay, unbolted the bib and let it slide 3/8" to the passenger side, and the hood looks much better. Then, while bolting the bib back down, mis-threaded M8 bolt into a nutsert and broke the nutsert loose. So now I have a problem - mostly because of where it is.

IMG_6709.jpg

IMG_6710.jpg

Still can't get away from that over bite

IMG_6712.jpg

My junk looks the same. It’s the fenders and hood alignment. I do t have the patience to mess with it and it’s a runaround / trail rig so my care level is low and the list of more important stuff is high.

I think you would need to massage the fender and front bib around to get it right. Stop worrying about perfectly centering it all, focus on the gaps and body lines and it will look better. No one but you is going to put a tape measure on it.

Put a few shims under the front body mounts to take off that overbite. Probably wont need much more than an 1/8 would be my guess.

The body mounts at the cab? I could also lower the bib a little.

Yep, cab body mounts. It should help pull the hood back a little bit.

I agree with @DangerNoodle

When I put my Aqualu tub on my 40 I had to use different thickness shims on the body to get the hood gap correct. And I did a custom shim on the bib as well.
I did have to sacrifice a bit of the gap on the rear of the hood. That I couldn't get as perfect as I wanted.
HTH

Okay, want to start figuring out springs for the coilovers. To do that I need the rig at close to final weight.

How much weight should I add to the rig to make up for

1. skid plates
2. roll cage - exo main hoop as B/C pillar with support angling back to bed. No front uprights. No hoop.
3. Flatbed 5' x 6' aluminum with support structure.

Guesses?

More info on which CO's you are using, size, valving, length, tender springs ? Are they vertical ? As to the above list, 150# should cover that stuff, plus your rig weight, plus say 400# gear , plus say 400# people, I'd call Georg, he may have some knowledge of coilovers on heavier rigs and a good baseline for spring rates to start, you will probably install a set and then make changes, it's hard to hit the first time unless you can test before purchase or have data from similar set ups as yours.

What I saw on line (in the absence of wheel scales) is to get some 14" 150 springs and then set the rig down and see how far they compress, and you can back into how much the car weighs and then compute the spring required.

The shocks are Fox 2.0 x 14" remove reservoir.

I do have scale I can hang on the gantry crane, which will give me a very good idea of how much the front and back weigh. But, it's hard to distinguish how much weight the springs will see.

I'll use the gantry scale and get a current weight front and back to get current rig weight.

Okay, been doing a lot of clean up. After putting limit straps on the front, did some test drives and then saw this today.

IMG_6736.jpg

Very lucky that didn't back out.

Spent a lot of time cleaning up dash wiring. This is where I'm at, still not final, but a lot better

IMG_6738.jpg

Have the front end up on the gantry and scale to check the links and caster and do a final tighten of the jam nuts. The front weighs 1710 lbs with tires and wheels. I'll do the rear soon.

IMG_6739.jpg

We're going to drag it to the PMC fun day Saturday just to run it around a bit and have some fun. she can't do much, still only on spring on each coilover and no skid plates and the lockers don't work. But, we'll have some fun.

Okay, it's time to start figuring out the springs, but I wasn't sure how to move forward. But it occurred to me today, that if I used the gantry crane on the front with the scale, and then lift the frame up to the point that the springs unload, I should have the sprung weight of the front. Divide in half and it should be the same as having wheel scales - right? Can do the same in the back. 1,700 is the total weight of the front, so, I'm guessing ... 1,200 sprung weight.

I'm going to have to think about how to lift it by the side.

Okay, weighed the front until the springs released - 1045 lbs. So, that's 522.50 per side. Does that sound about right? I'm still going to add hood - 45 lbs. And winch - at least 75 lbs. but the front is pretty done. Let's call that 75 per side or 600 each in the front.

The only addition would be the percentage of the weight of the cage and bed that lands on the front springs. I think 50% of main hoop weight and 25% of bed weight that's forward of the rear axle. main hoop is less than 50 lbs, so 20 lbs on the front axle. I'm kind of picking nits, it's somewhere between 600 and 650 lbs.

The closest weight I could fine online said 2,000 lbs for the front of a 40. So, seems like I'm in the ballpark.

Thoughts?

IMG_6746.jpg

Last edited:
I can't get to the frame rail in the middle of the frame to lift it.

Got the EV turned around. Weighed the back. was expecting the back to be heavier because of the battery pack. weighed at the rear, got 890, realized that I was getting some leverage and moved the straps closer to the coilovers and got 800. Quite a difference about about 2'. that's way below what I was expecting. So, 400 lbs each tire now - plus most of the roll cage and all of the bed weight. But still 500 lbs after all that per tire?

rear weight actual.jpg

Okay, been doing a lot of clean up. After putting limit straps on the front, did some test drives and then saw this today. Was hoping to see this today, too.

View attachment 3011946

Very lucky that didn't back out.

Spent a lot of time cleaning up dash wiring. This is where I'm at, still not final, but a lot better

View attachment 3011947

Have the front end up on the gantry and scale to check the links and caster and do a final tighten of the jam nuts. The front weighs 1710 lbs with tires and wheels. I'll do the rear soon.

View attachment 3011948

We're going to drag it to the PMC fun day Saturday just to run it around a bit and have some fun. she can't do much, still only on spring on each coilover and no skid plates and the lockers don't work. But, we'll have some fun.
I’m hoping to make an appearance today, but got called into work. I posted my rescinded RSVP last night. I really need to join, too.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom