Medium size Quad Bike - Petrol to Electric conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi

Not 4WD related but I have been working on a small project to convert a Medium size Quad bike to electric to basically use around my property when gardening and picking up rubbish.
The Petrol ones just annoyed the hell out of me having to start and stop the motor each time I hop off and while it's possible to apply the brake why keep burning fuel when I am not sure how long it will be for.

So I am not looking for speed and really do not need it to be fast just able to putt around our one acre block towing a small trailer for rubbish/tools.

I am interested if anyone else in these groups has done such a project and what have you experienced?

I started with an 800w brush motor and controller - this sort of worked but very quickly burned out the controller!!
So next step was a 2kw Brushless motor and controller - all from ebay.
This went from 36v to 48v so needed an extra battery, the motor was slightly larger so needed a slight move of the rear shock but is almost finished - soon to road test as it were..

Main issues has been the chain drive, if starting again I will start with a complete rear axle replacement that has the motor built in but you live and learn doing projects such as this!

Problem with the chain has been the motor required a much smaller size chain to suit the main drive cog, this then required the axle cog to be replaced to suit the smaller chain drive and so on.
All relatively small issues but never playing in this area before opens up a whole new world of pain but getting the end result should be worth it I hope.

So fire away..

Find a junked electric bike, use the controller, charger and batt, find a motor, done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom