Project Wisdom Turns Folly to start in Ernest. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Comet

Knower of little, master of less.
SILVER Star
Threads
I need help finding any 40 series Land Cruiser conversions that used a 95-97 1FZ-FE with automatic transmission. Guessing there was stretching of metal on the frame and other thoughts. I really want to learn from others mistakes and success stories before embarking. It has been as close to a zero dollar budget build so far, that’s why it’s has been two years in the parts acquisition mode. End of April is my start date to box in the rear, rebuild and outboard a 60 series rear axle, regear the front to match (spacers for now) and flip springs to give some additional length between axles. Pictures because WTF.

IMG_2196.jpeg

IMG_2644.jpeg

IMG_3768.jpeg

I haven’t heard of that drivetrain in a 40, not that it hasn’t happened. IMO, there are more reliable and easier to work on engines that can be built to make lots of HP for pretty cheap. Just because the initial cost is low doesn’t mean it won’t cost a lot later on. These projects tend to spiral

@Rock40 I could not agree more on both points you make. Hence the Folly part of this. My tiny little brain relates to this engine drivetrain combo since my original rig that led me down this path is my 1997 80 series. Why have one of these combo’s to maintain when two is “more better”.

@UZJ40 I have the entire drivetrain back to the ECU. I have access to the interior wiring harness if needed.

@Mike Shull thank you. That is my vehicle. I should have mentioned that I am cross posting from the 40 forum. I have condensed salvageable parts from three different 40’s in the hope of resurrecting one. I am to the point of moving forward on a couple aspects of the build.

Edit: I am posting in this section of Mud because of the nature of the build. It’s not a traditional or purist resurrection of a 40 sitting in a barn or a field. Plus, all the out of the box thinking members can provide will help me create a small tire wheeling rig I can hopefully drive and enjoy before my time ends on this rock (timeline yet to be determined on both counts).

Last edited:
Here is a project that used a 1fz before it was swapped out for a 2uz. This was a 45 on an 80 chassis though.

This 45 also used a 1fz but with a manual transmission

We should talk at Relic Run.

@matzell yes. You me and a quiet bearded man. He doesn’t realize how key he is to the project, or maybe I don’t realize. Either way, confusion reigns. I’d love the 5 speed option everyone refers to; however, the build is going to have to move forward with what I have currently and it is a LOOOOONG drivetrain. Sold off one of the 2f 4 speeds to fund the rear axle relocate/frame box. I have not received approval from the War Department to cut up my 80 for a 79 pick up conversion so this will have to scratch the itch until that day comes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom