Fj60 Engine Swap Best Options? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Beehanger

SILVER Star
Threads
Hi all,
Haven't seen any threads on this yet--please send my way if this has been covered already.
Decided I'm going to get the engine either rebuilt or swapped before summertime on the 60, trying to figure out what best options for engines I have to swap it with vs flat rebuild. I'm new to wrenching and picked it up 2 months ago from cali. Full longwinded thread on my LC story linked below. Engine with 240k is just too tired, knocking upper and lower end, cant get up past 50mph, its burning more than just fuel, carb needs rebuild, engine has already been "overhauled" once in 2007 by previous owner, and local mechanics that know 60's have said it could give soon. Haven't found any broad threads on this so please send my way if I missed em'

Firstly how long should I expect the rig to be out for for a full yota swap vs full rebuild? Secondly, I'm thinking I want to throw a toyota engine in for compatibility (a v8 would be awesome but heard it wears out the gears and electronics dont work well with 60? but can I keep it under 6k?? I'm leaning towards finding a v6 like a 3fe or 1fz or something but then I come back to if im going old why not rebuild the tired 2f? and if im spending the money why not go full frontal cock barrel steamroll and put in a v8???>> 😂Just wanting to hear opinions with weighing factors of mine like: limited budget, want reliability over power but both are great, I may keep it carberated in case of EMPs 😂, am a n00b who wants to learn to wrench still so probs older gen motors, gas aint cheep :/ . Also any mechanic recs for the boise or central idaho area LMK, maybe even ones that would let me watch so I can learn? LOL

Thanks,
Beehanger

Hi all,
Haven't seen any threads on this yet--please send my way if this has been covered already.
Decided I'm going to get the engine either rebuilt or swapped before summertime on the 60, trying to figure out what best options for engines I have to swap it with vs flat rebuild. I'm new to wrenching and picked it up 2 months ago from cali. Full longwinded thread on my LC story linked below. Engine with 240k is just too tired, knocking upper and lower end, cant get up past 50mph, its burning more than just fuel, carb needs rebuild, engine has already been "overhauled" once in 2007 by previous owner, and local mechanics that know 60's have said it could give soon. Haven't found any broad threads on this so please send my way if I missed em'

Firstly how long should I expect the rig to be out for for a full yota swap vs full rebuild? Secondly, I'm thinking I want to throw a toyota engine in for compatibility (a v8 would be awesome but heard it wears out the gears and electronics dont work well with 60? but can I keep it under 6k?? I'm leaning towards finding a v6 like a 3fe or 1fz or something but then I come back to if im going old why not rebuild the tired 2f? and if im spending the money why not go full frontal cock barrel steamroll and put in a v8???>> 😂Just wanting to hear opinions with weighing factors of mine like: limited budget, want reliability over power but both are great, I may keep it carberated in case of EMPs 😂, am a n00b who wants to learn to wrench still so probs older gen motors, gas aint cheep :/ . Also any mechanic recs for the boise or central idaho area LMK, maybe even ones that would let me watch so I can learn? LOL

Thanks,
Beehanger

She's got minimal rust but some Other maintenance items: axel rebuild, suspension change, potential carb rebuild or sniper install, tranny serviced, exhuast manifold leak fixed, vacuum leaks fixed. Rust proofing and god knows what other defferred maintenance from PO I can't get to yet and hopefully can do myself with supervision. Luckily ive made some money off of DOGECOIN 😀😎🤠🤑😂😂😂😂😂😂 but I really cant put much more than a collective 7k into the rebuild and those other items right now, maybe I can hold off on them.....

Thanks all, One love!

Beehanger

given your budget I would rebuild your 2f if it needs it. @FJ60Cam Does some pretty wonderous things with the 2F's. A rebuild with a Holley Sniper Kit could be perfect for you and still give some room for the refresh of the suspension and the rust proofing that you need to. If you really want to go V8 you will spend your total $7k Budget just on parts for the swap, and then you still have to pay for labor to swap it.

Swapping in a V6 3FE or 1FZ would be really involved.... first you'd have to cut one of them in half and figure out how to reassemble in a "V" configuration. :lol:

Swapping in a V6 3FE or 1FZ would be really involved.... first you'd have to cut one of them in half and figure out how to reassemble in a "V" configuration. :lol:
Are you serious about it being an involved job though?

given your budget I would rebuild your 2f if it needs it. @FJ60Cam Does some pretty wonderous things with the 2F's. A rebuild with a Holley Sniper Kit could be perfect for you and still give some room for the refresh of the suspension and the rust proofing that you need to. If you really want to go V8 you will spend your total $7k Budget just on parts for the swap, and then you still have to pay for labor to swap it.
Shipping it from Idaho? 🙃

How much would a full 2F rebuild be?

@FJ60Cam at Mosley Motors would be your best bet. Hes out of Memphis, TN and ships. I will be doing the same later this year. Dudes stuff is unmatched

She's got minimal rust but some Other maintenance items: axel rebuild, suspension change, potential carb rebuild or sniper install, tranny serviced, exhuast manifold leak fixed, vacuum leaks fixed. Rust proofing and god knows what other defferred maintenance from PO I can't get to yet and hopefully can do myself with supervision. Luckily ive made some money off of DOGECOIN 😀😎🤠🤑😂😂😂😂😂😂 but I really cant put much more than a collective 7k into the rebuild and those other items right now, maybe I can hold off on them.....

Thanks all, One love!

Beehanger
That’s the top-ish price another guy paid... I’ll find his name and tag him. I did all the assembly myself on mine which cut my machine shop cost down to about $1700 (w/o parts). Figure another 1k maybe in parts.

How much would a full 2F rebuild be?
If you have to pay someone to take the engine out, put it back in later and everything in between.....then a rebuild could easily be $5k to $10k depending on what all has to be done. Often when the engine comes out its a good time to replace a lot of other parts as well. If your engine isnt burning or using any oil and the cylinder bores are in spec for taper and roundness then you might be able to reuse your old pistons and just do new rings with a cylinder hone......youd also be replacing the bearings, gaskets, seals, etc....this would keep the cost to a minimum. But if everything is getting cleaned and machined and worked and replaced...then it adds up quickly. This is often why people just opt for a new crate LS conversion...but thats still a big chunk of change for turn key service

If you want to look specifically at what some have done click on the "project build up directory" post in the sticky threads at the top of the 60 page and then scroll down to engine swaps.

Anything other than a 2f is going to be more time consuming and you'll be chasing your tail modifying ...motor mounts, trans adapters, exhaust, o2 sensors, ECMs, wiring harnesses. you get my point.

You can swap a running 2f engine in your vehicle in a day.

@SNLC saw you’re a shop out of Boise and have heard good things, was going to PM you but might be better context on this thread. Would u guys be available for an engine rebuild/ replacement for a local fj60 (plus a few other things)? Feel free to call if easier 2083093040

thanks
Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom