FJ60 Condenser question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

at4fj60

SILVER Star
Threads
Need to replace the condenser on my 12/83 FJ60. The Denso ones available (477-0154 from coolstream) appears to be the wrong config. Looking at used from SOR but also found this on ebay A/C AC Air Conditioning Condenser For Toyota Land Cruiser 1981 - 1986 | eBay

Does anyone have experience with those?

I don't want to buy unless I'm pretty sure it'll work, the "you need a new condenser" message from the garage was interpreted through my wife as "you need a new compressor"...so now I have a compressor I don't need.

Anyone need a compressor fresh from cruiserparts?

Anytime you replace the compressor it is always best to replace the condenser and dryer. If this is the original one, I would replace simply due to age. I ran into the same issue as the one from coolstream was not the correct one. I have a 10/84 FJ60 and the correct condenser was one that was from an 85 FJ60 (477-0155) as the elbow on the passenger side of the condenser had a slight 10degree downward angle. The one coolstream quotes for vehicle was also 477-0154 but the passenger elbow had and upward angle and it obviously wouldn’t work. I purchased a Denso 477-0155 from Rockauto for $87 about two months ago and it worked perfectly. Go to www.partsgeek.com and type in both part numbers and they will show what the actual condenser looks like and then you can compare those pics to your current one and determine which part is the correct one. Hope this helps.

I picked up mine off Rock auto. Bolted straight up.
I replaced everything except the lines and the 60 is nice and cold.

Are you converting to R134? I stayed R12.

Anytime you replace the compressor it is always best to replace the condenser and dryer. If this is the original one, I would replace simply due to age. I ran into the same issue as the one from coolstream was not the correct one. I have a 10/84 FJ60 and the correct condenser was one that was from an 85 FJ60 (477-0155) as the elbow on the passenger side of the condenser had a slight 10degree downward angle. The one coolstream quotes for vehicle was also 477-0154 but the passenger elbow had and upward angle and it obviously wouldn’t work. I purchased a Denso 477-0155 from Rockauto for $87 about two months ago and it worked perfectly. Go to www.partsgeek.com and type in both part numbers and they will show what the actual condenser looks like and then you can compare those pics to your current one and determine which part is the correct one. Hope this helps.

Doesn't look like I'll have to replace my compressor, unless you're saying the compressor and condenser should be replaced together? thanks for the hint on the elbow, I'll go check mine to make sure I get the right part. Too bad none of the parts suppliers explain that difference to you.

ok, I ordered the Denso 477-0155 from Summit Racing. Drop ships from Denso in a couple weeks :-/.

You typically replace the condenser if your compressor fails because the compresser can produce metal particles that get pushed through the ac lines and into your condenser or evaporator or both. The condensers have very fine tubes that can make it difficult to flush out the particles should there be any in the condenser so most manufacturers will not warranty the compressors unless you’ve replaced the condenser and dryer. Since your compressor is fine then you don’t have to worry about replacing the condenser right now. Simply vacuum the system and recharge. Good Luck!

I posted this and then read you ordered a new condenser. Since you are replacing the condenser, order a new dryer as well. They are very inexpensive. You can buy a Denso or the original Toyota part as they are still available from Toyota directly. Don’t install the dryer until you are absolutely ready to connect all your lines to it. The less time you have the dryer open to the atmosphere the better.

I picked up mine off Rock auto. Bolted straight up.
I replaced everything except the lines and the 60 is nice and cold.

Are you converting to R134? I stayed R12.
I converted a while ago. Seemed like R12 was going to be hard to come by.

Confirmed that my 12/83 has the slight downward angle so the 155 should be good. I'll order the dryer too, thanks for that tip.

Don't know if the 80 series A/C is different, but I converted my '93 FZJ80 from R12 to R134a and it works just great. I'm not in Arizona though, in Oregon where we only temps in the 90's occasionally and the 100's rarely.

I only saw this thread about 1 year late. I am just now installing all the components to refresh the entire AC system. I bought the 0154 condenser with all the other major parts last year. It took until fall for the two of the parts to come and there was no need for the AC by then. So now I have the wrong DARN condenser and need the 0155......looks like the 0155 is cheaper than 0154, but is backordered like everything these days. Looks like June if i am lucky. Anyone buy the wrong condenser and want to swap? Frustration is setting in to the point of maybe an AC delete. :bang:
:mad:

When the choice is either AC (which overheats the engine) or the fastest air compressor in existence via AC conversion for tire fills, an air compressor wins every time in my book.
One of the best mods I ever did to my cruiser was convert the AC compressor to an air compressor.
Tire fills are incredibly fast.
I spent a lot of time in the desert too - in the summer, and I’d still never give up a PTO air compressor for AC.

Now you have me thinking. But If I ever want to take the family on a trip in the summer I think it is a requirement. The East Coast has Humidity that the dry desert folks don't understand. 😂

@OSS I have not thrown in the towel yet, but if i still have issues after replacing all the AC components I'll be looking into the compressor for sure. Now I am just trying to get a game plan to get her running again. Do you think I should just leave all the AC stuff off vehicle. If I put everything new on minus the condenser and just ride around until the June ship date would that hurt any of the new components? Or maybe just leave everything off with hoses capped?

That’s fine. You could install everything you’ve got now and just cap off any pipe that’s open to atmosphere just to be tidy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom