FJ60 Condenser question

Discussion in '60-Series Wagons' started by cruisercadia, Aug 10, 2018.

1. cruisercadia

cruisercadia

Media:
    Albums:
    Need to replace the condenser on my 12/83 FJ60. The Denso ones available (477-0154 from coolstream) appears to be the wrong config. Looking at used from SOR but also found this on ebay A/C AC Air Conditioning Condenser For Toyota Land Cruiser 1981 - 1986 | eBay

Does anyone have experience with those?

I don't want to buy unless I'm pretty sure it'll work, the "you need a new condenser" message from the garage was interpreted through my wife as "you need a new compressor"...so now I have a compressor I don't need.

Anyone need a compressor fresh from cruiserparts?

2. TallCityCruzer

TallCityCruzer

Media:
    Albums:
    Anytime you replace the compressor it is always best to replace the condenser and dryer. If this is the original one, I would replace simply due to age. I ran into the same issue as the one from coolstream was not the correct one. I have a 10/84 FJ60 and the correct condenser was one that was from an 85 FJ60 (477-0155) as the elbow on the passenger side of the condenser had a slight 10degree downward angle. The one coolstream quotes for vehicle was also 477-0154 but the passenger elbow had and upward angle and it obviously wouldn’t work. I purchased a Denso 477-0155 from Rockauto for $87 about two months ago and it worked perfectly. Go to www.partsgeek.com and type in both part numbers and they will show what the actual condenser looks like and then you can compare those pics to your current one and determine which part is the correct one. Hope this helps.

3. Willard

Willard SILVER Star

I picked up mine off Rock auto. Bolted straight up.
    I replaced everything except the lines and the 60 is nice and cold.

Are you converting to R134? I stayed R12.

4. cruisercadia

cruisercadia

Media:
    Albums:
    Doesn't look like I'll have to replace my compressor, unless you're saying the compressor and condenser should be replaced together? thanks for the hint on the elbow, I'll go check mine to make sure I get the right part. Too bad none of the parts suppliers explain that difference to you.

5. cruisercadia

cruisercadia

Media:
    Albums:
    ok, I ordered the Denso 477-0155 from Summit Racing. Drop ships from Denso in a couple weeks :-/.

6. TallCityCruzer

TallCityCruzer

Media:
    Albums:
    You typically replace the condenser if your compressor fails because the compresser can produce metal particles that get pushed through the ac lines and into your condenser or evaporator or both. The condensers have very fine tubes that can make it difficult to flush out the particles should there be any in the condenser so most manufacturers will not warranty the compressors unless you’ve replaced the condenser and dryer. Since your compressor is fine then you don’t have to worry about replacing the condenser right now. Simply vacuum the system and recharge. Good Luck!

7. TallCityCruzer

TallCityCruzer

Media:
    Albums:
    I posted this and then read you ordered a new condenser. Since you are replacing the condenser, order a new dryer as well. They are very inexpensive. You can buy a Denso or the original Toyota part as they are still available from Toyota directly. Don’t install the dryer until you are absolutely ready to connect all your lines to it. The less time you have the dryer open to the atmosphere the better.

John McVicker and cruisercadia like this.
  8. HemiAlex

HemiAlex SILVER Star

4770154 Is what I used from rock auto.

Bolted up without an issue.

9. cruisercadia

cruisercadia

Media:
    Albums:
    I converted a while ago. Seemed like R12 was going to be hard to come by.

10. cruisercadia

cruisercadia

Media:
    Albums:
    Confirmed that my 12/83 has the slight downward angle so the 155 should be good. I'll order the dryer too, thanks for that tip.

11. Willard

Willard SILVER Star

Nope just $$$

When I replace my motor in a few years then I will convert.

Make sure the dryer you order is for R134, supposedly there is a difference.

cruisercadia likes this.
  12. Michael Hanson

Michael Hanson

Media:
    Albums:
    Hi, There is a difference . Mike

cruisercadia likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.