FJ60 Brake Booster options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I hear ya. I just don't like that it's got a hard and sort of non responsive feel at the top of the pedal. I'd like it to immediately start to sink and start to grab.
Maybe someone smarter than me can chime in, but I think adding a master cylinder with a larger diameter piston may help firm things up faster. The T100 MC has a larger piston from what I understand. Also, the 4Runner calipers have two large pistons as opposed to one large and one small in the OEM caliper.

I don’t have experience with it myself but I have read that adding stainless lines in place of the old rubber lines will also help firm things up.

has anyone put a fj80 non abs booster in a 60? a friend of mine has a relatively new one laying around

I am putting a double diaphragm in my FJ40, not sure if it is for a an FJ80. The master cylinder is for an FJ80.

I ordered the city racer booster today. Going to try that since there is positive feedback on this one. It's a double diaphragm. No idea if the 94 4 runner non abs booster that I have now is single or double diaphragm. I don't think a larger master is going to be great without larger calipers and discs.

I am installing 13.3" rotors and Toyota V8 calipers on the front and the rear and FJ40 disc FJ40 calipers so I will have more hydraulic power for the 4 disc set up.

Where can I get an FJ60 radiator? I have search all around and could only find a cheap one on Amazon. Are there other radiators that are interchangeable or is it specific to the FJ60? I’ve checked all the auto stores and they don’t have any. Thanks for your time.

Where can I get an FJ60 radiator? I have search all around and could only find a cheap one on Amazon. Are there other radiators that are interchangeable or is it specific to the FJ60? I’ve checked all the auto stores and they don’t have any. Thanks for your time.
Read the title of this thread. It is a brake booster option thread. Find an old radiator thread using the search button top right and post your comment/question. Or, start a new thread.

UPDATE: I just finished up swapping the 94 four runner booster for the City Racer Booster. That fixed my issues. No more stiff pedal at the top. The City Racer booster goes in with the check valve at around the (EDIT: 7 oclock position) so no need to use the metal vacuum line that goes under the master cylinder. I didn't use the extension block that comes with it or the cone shaped plastic that goes over the pedal rod. The cone isn't going to fit the hole in the firewall. I did reuse my paper gasket, heat shield, and the clevis fork that connects to the pedal. Now let's hope Advanced Auto doesn't give me crap when I return the other booster that I couldn't get to work.

Last edited:
UPDATE: I just finished up swapping the 94 four runner booster for the City Racer Booster. That fixed my issues. No more stiff pedal at the top. The City Racer booster goes in with the check valve at around the 5 oclock position so no need to use the metal vacuum line that goes under the master cylinder. I didn't use the extension block that comes with it or the cone shaped plastic that goes over the pedal rod. The cone isn't going to fit the hole in the firewall. I did reuse my paper gasket, heat shield, and the clevis fork that connects to the pedal. Now let's hope Advanced Auto doesn't give me crap when I return the other booster that I couldn't get to work.
Is this the dual diaphragm booster that you got? I've been curious about those since I use the larger T100 master cylinder but still have the factory booster in my 62.

Is this the dual diaphragm booster that you got? I've been curious about those since I use the larger T100 master cylinder but still have the factory booster in my 62.
Yes, dual diaphragm.

We’ve installed dozens of the City Racer boosters in the last couple years and they have all been good.

The dual diaphragm booster from an earlier 3rd gen 4runner works too. and usually comes with the "t100" master cylinder attached to it. I picked up my last one at the pull yard for like $20 for the whole thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom