FJ60 alternator upgrade (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I owned an FJ40 a few years back and now just purchased a 1985 FJ60. I have been reading a lot of threads here that talk about alternator upgrades from mean green to cs130's but my question is has anyone tried an alternator out of a 90-92 Land Cruiser with a 3fe. the bottom mount is identical but the top mount is set a little off center, or in other words is not in a direct center line with the bottom mount and the pulley center like the 2F is. It looks close enough to work but wanted advise before spending the money. any help would be appreciated.

The 3FE FJ80 alternator.. Is the one you are refering to that one that has the fan mounted internally instead? yes, all the alternators from 88-92 are interchangable, but you are not going to see much of a performace increase as they are pretty much identicle units, other than the internal mounted fan ones I think are rated 10 amps higher or so?

I guy i knew swapped his FJ62 alternator at the store for a rebuilt one and got one off an FJ80 in the box. It bolted right up and plugged in, but pretty much performed the same as the original

I can't speak for the FJ60s but i do know that they use different plugs on the back. you would probably be better off just going for the high performace ones if you're looking to make a serious power jump.

Thanks for the reply, this 3fe does not have an internal fan. The wiring is different however just one extra wire that can be jumped over to the battery terminal for sensing load. As for amps, I know it's not huge increase but it would go from 55amps to 80 amps. That might be all I need.

The stock FJ60 alt is 60A. Early 60 and 79-later FJ40 have the 55A alt.

The external fan 3FE alt is 80A.

The internal fan unit is 90A.

I run the 80A unit on my FJ60 shop truck, to avoid overwhelming the stock harness.

Thanks for the info. Did the 80amp bolt right in without modification? Looks like the only difference is the top bolt hole being set back a little from center.

As you mentioned , a little jumper harness needs fabbed. The adjuster ear being clocked slightly wrong means that getting the belt on can be a little tricky, and then if the belt is worn, the adjuster will end up near the end of adjustment range. If the belt is aftermarket and worn enough, there will not be sufficient adjustment, and a new belt will be needed.

... a little jumper harness needs fabbed. ...

Any chance you could provide a pic, or a description of this harness please? As I recall the fj60 is 2 tab and the 62/80 is three tab.

So when going to the auto parts store to buy an alternator, what 3FE alternator should I ask for (year and model) I assume an FJ-80?

Thanks,
Zack

So when going to the auto parts store to buy an alternator, what 3FE alternator should I ask for (year and model) I assume an FJ-80?

Try asking for a year & model with 3FE.
88-92 Cruiser w/ 4.0L.

I have a new (reman) 80a 3FE alternator with the harness adapter to fit the FJ60 available if anyone is interested. It’s listed in the classifieds for $200 plus shipping.

***SOLD***

Last edited:
@IS2SPICY4U ^^^ just swap out the pulley for the correct one.

Internal fan 90A works with some mods. There’s an entire thread on it.

Hmm 2012 thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom