Wanted FJ55 frame rail extensions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Can’t be hard to make. Does it absolutely have to be factory?

No they can be a reproduction. I’m sure they can’t be hard to make or have made either. Of course in my case I would need to know what they look like. 🤣

Of course in my case I would need to know what they look like.
pto-extension-jpg.170521

Thanks Jim. I haven't accounted for every hole in those extension brackets and please forgive my ignorance but do you simply replace the existing bracket with those? It doesn't look like you need (or could) attach the existing brackets onto the end of those.

Factory brackets are riveted on. I guess you just cut them off and use bolts for the extension bracket?

Factory brackets are riveted on. I guess you just cut them off and use bolts for the extension bracket?
Yes..
But with that said if I was going to mount a huge winch on the front of my pig I would build the winch mount first and deal with the fairlead placement then worry about the bumper mounts to place the bumper in a complimentary position to (A) not interfere with the working parts or (B) not stick out like a harelip for no apparent reason like most winch bumpers.

Bumper extensions should be the easiest part of this project and the least critical.

Last edited:
Yes..
But with that said if I was going to mount a huge winch on the front of my pig I would build the winch mount first and deal with the fairlead placement then worry about the bumper mounts to place the bumper in a complimentary position to (A) not interfere with the working parts or (B) not stick out like a harelip for no apparent reason like must winch bumpers.

Bumper extensions should be the easiest part of this project and the least critical.

I already bought one of these: 8274 Winch Mounting Plate

All I needed to do was cut out and drill for a hawse fairlead on the OEM bumper and then drill and bolt this assembly into place using the OEM bumper holes top and bottom. Would work just fine if the bumper was about 2" further out.

Sorry trying to see his pictures on my cellphone and it looks like the 40 has internal frame bumper mounts and the 55 has external mounts, not sure his kit is going to be plug and play on the front of your pig.
If it were me I would hold up a minute at see if his kit will bolt to your pig with your winch then making some quick bumper mounts should be easy if all that works.
I'll try to get some time later to check out his mount on my PC tonight to get a better look

This kit, at least on the 55, doesn't directly bolt to the frame rails or brackets. It fits tight between the rails and then would bolt top and bottom on each side in the existing bumper holes. That would put the bumper itself in shear when using the winch which is probably OK for most situations but clearly not ideal. I think that can be solved by welding some tabs top and bottom on the inside of the bumper reinforcement channel which could be drilled for the center rail bolt top and bottom. Here is the assembly sitting on top of the bumper to give you a better idea. Probably not my most well thought out purchase.

AF2BA648-FE7B-4634-9916-CA6D4AE2A815.jpeg

A8C367FD-46B5-4F7F-8645-DACDE769EB7A.jpeg

That's really close to what I was thinking it would look like sitting on a pig frame.
My advice stays the same, unbolt your bumper and get that mount and winch set in place to see what exactly it's going to take to get those parts permanently mounted.
The way that mount is designed to fit into a bumper I believe you'll end up something custom to reattach your bumper anyway so tracking down factory extension very well could be a waste of time.

The way that mount is designed to fit into a bumper I believe you'll end up something custom to reattach your bumper anyway so tracking down factory extension very well could be a waste of time.

Thinking the same thing now as well. Also not sure I want to cut the factory brackets off the frame anyway.

Thinking the same thing now as well. Also not sure I want to cut the factory brackets off the frame anyway.
I’m doing very similar and already cut my factory brackets off, I’m building my own mount and will through bolt the frame to winch mount inside and bumper mounts outside frame...if that makes sense?

This is my inspiration for winch mount...

1586821264764.jpeg

I’m doing very similar and already cut my factory brackets off, I’m building my own mount and will through bolt the frame to winch mount inside and bumper mounts outside frame...if that makes sense?

This is my inspiration for winch mount...

View attachment 2271536

Wow. If John DeLorean built a 55.......

Seriously though. I think it's not that difficult to have the bracket that I bought modified, with or without the factory brackets. Or I might send it back to him and get him to make me something a little different.

Like @J Mack suggested, I need to pull the bumper and install the bracket with the winch mounted and see where I'm at.

This all started because I'm looking for little things to do and my idea was to get my new rear bumper painted and installed........which lead me to start thinking about the front bumper......because if you're buying pewter paint, etc........and you can't paint a bumper if you want to cut a fairlead hole......or at least you shouldn't....until you cut the hole, etc.

Wow. If John DeLorean built a 55.......

Seriously though. I think it's not that difficult to have the bracket that I bought modified, with or without the factory brackets. Or I might send it back to him and get him to make me something a little different.

Like @J Mack suggested, I need to pull the bumper and install the bracket with the winch mounted and see where I'm at.

This all started because I'm looking for little things to do and my idea was to get my new rear bumper painted and installed........which lead me to start thinking about the front bumper......because if you're buying pewter paint, etc........
Your ahead of me...:popcorn:

I built something very similar to what you guys are looking at but mounted a low-pro winch and slid the bumper back an inch or two, it would be just as easy to make that same mount to hold a giant winch and push it forward then put a factory bumper back on.

If you dig around my build thread you’ll see the winch mount I’m talking about.

I built something very similar to what you guys are looking at but mounted a low-pro winch and slid the bumper back an inch or two, it would be just as easy to make that same mount to hold a giant winch and push it forward then put a factory bumper back on.

If you dig around my build thread you’ll see the winch mount I’m talking about.

lol You keep using that word. No love for an 8274?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom