FJ55 emergency brake (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
In order to use the stock emergency brake on my upgraded 55, is it possible to use the three speed brake assy on a newer FJ40 4spd?

fj55 pict
IMG_1581.jpeg

note the brake cable is on the passenger side vs a newer 4spd has the cable on driver side pointing in opposite direction.

Do the spline counts match? If so, then yes

My 1977 RHD handbrake cable enters from the right (drivers side) the same as in your picture, so my guess would be that they only added a dedicated LHD back plate in later models? (Suggesting that they're otherwise identical).

20230614_193313.jpg

20230614_201614.jpg

Do the spline counts match? If so, then yes
My 1977 RHD handbrake cable enters from the right (drivers side) the same as in your picture, so my guess would be that they only added a dedicated LHD back plate in later models? (Suggesting that they're otherwise identical).

View attachment 3463019

View attachment 3463021

I have not tore into this yet, and your picts open up the question, are the backing plates, and brakes the same on all models? If so I can swap backing plates and brake assy?

I only have my backing plate - maybe someone else can confirm if they're identical?

I'd guess that you can just turn it 180degrees if the handbrake cable fouls on something critical?

IIRC, all 55 series parking brake cables came in on the right-hand side. In the US anyway. Opposite of the 40 series.
Here's my '74 FJ55 parking brake

20231023_094505.jpg

is it possible to use the three speed brake assy on a newer FJ40 4spd?

The driveshaft flange bolt pattern is different between the 3 and 4 speed so technically...no. The internal spline count is the same but you'll have to also change the transfer case driveshaft flange to make it work.

The driveshaft flange bolt pattern is different between the 3 and 4 speed so technically...no. The internal spline count is the same but you'll have to also change the transfer case driveshaft flange to make it work.
What about the backing plate that has the actual brake parts? Do they have the same bolt pattern that hold them to the case?

What about the backing plate that has the actual brake parts? Do they have the same bolt pattern that hold them to the case?
As far as I know the backing plate is all the same.

I got a parking brake backing plate from both a 40 and a 55 and sure enough they are transferable in regards to the bolt pattern to the tranny. As far as the brake components, the lever that attaches to the brake cable does need to be swapped. Other than that the brake system parts are compatible across the two different models. In all my excitement to reassemble, I neglected to get comparison photos of the different parts. :(
Thanks for everyone’s feed back.

1698507069227.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom