FJ45 Troopy. What does this knob do? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Troopy came home last night from her week at the doctor. He thinks he resolved most of the squawk list. Two things he didn't deal with are lower pin on ambulance door and leaking roof.

I haven't seen the bill yet.

I asked him to test the alternator, and he said it is good.

On the way home, however, when I pulled over for a bit, the lights became very dim. When I started driving up the mountain and the revs got high, the lights all became very bright.

Is that normal on an FJ45? It is not normal on a modern vehicle, but maybe these old alternators didn't do much at idle?

He called at the end of the day. He sounded like they made good progress. He thinks it might be finished tomorrow. I will update when I get some real details (and the bill).

Just curious if this could be symptoms of a Voltage regulator issue? Anything else acting up?

Just curious if this could be symptoms of a Voltage regulator issue? Anything else acting up?
All things electrical seemed to be very dim. The speedometer light, the headlights, the blinker indicator, etc. When I started up the hill and the engine revs went high, everything lit up like it was a new day.

In another post, someone said the alternator has to be driven ten hours before it is fully functional. This alternator may only have two hours of drive time on it. I hope that is the answer!

In another post, someone said the alternator has to be driven ten hours before it is fully functional. This alternator may only have two hours of drive time on it. I hope that is the answer!
Not to be a Debbie Downer but I wouldn't count on that being true.

So, both of you would say that your FJ40 lights do not dim if you sit at idle for ten minutes?
Not sure and unfortunately wouldn't be able to test that theory until next Thursday or Friday. I'm sure there are plenty of people with FJ4X models that can chime in.

So, both of you would say that your FJ40 lights do not dim if you sit at idle for ten minutes?
I haven't driven a 40 in over a year but I sure don't recall them dimming with RPM's and none of my other rigs do the same.

No they don't. When I first cranked mine tonight to test there was a very slight difference between idle and higher rpm (with the Troopy not moving) but after about a minute there was almost no difference. I only let it idle for about 5 minutes, sorry, but I don't think it would change after 5 more minutes. Now my instrument cluster lights need changing period so they were dim idle or moving or anywhere in-between.

please post several good up close photos of your Voltage Regulator and its connector plugs too

perhaps this will make both points clear , ill take a WAG on the wild side here

1st period correct dash knob layout 411

View attachment 2879939View attachment 2879941

Then onto what happens when a warm climate truck gets imported to a ARCTIC Spec. Region / Cold Climate ZONE where u reside now ..

this is NO JOKE tech serious .....

this was at my shop on a cold FEB morning many years ago

the auto transport just dropped off this 1983 FJ43L-KC from Bogotoa Columbia at the Port of baltimore

View attachment 2879944

View attachment 2879945

View attachment 2879947

View attachment 2879948

View attachment 2879949
Might be a handful of scrap parts... hope not! 😒

Well, good news and bad news. The last time I drove it at night, I did not experience the dimming of life sensation. The bad news is the last time I drove it, yesterday, the front right caliper seized. She is at the doctor for new calipers.

Calipers are important! Mine has drums all around still. Middle East never got front disk brakes on the 4X series.

I wasn't able to answer your earlier query about water intrusion as it almost never rains in Riyadh. Well the biggest thunderstorms I have ever seen here rolled through Riyadh last night. I spent several hours yesterday cleaning the inside and outside of the Troopy and rains normally start here as chocolate milk and if you're lucky it actually rains enough to wash the dirt out of the air and rain clear. Well it did that and more last night. When I purchased my Troopy it didn't have door seals on the front or rear as it had been resprayed a few months earlier and they had removed them; so water intrusion after a rain or even washing is a given. I have the seals but am still debating on tearing this one down and doing a frame off vs just installing all the new parts I have and rolling with it as is. No rust anywhere so awfully tempting to tear it down now.

Apologies for the long preamble but I checked the back of the Troopy this morning and it is bone dry. There was about a 1/4 cup of water in each front floorboard which is about what I get when I wash it. I think you have a window seal problem as someone else already suggested.

Last edited:
You own a 40 series now. Time to learn how to wrench on it. Mechanics will rape you. ;)
I had a recurring problem in which the brakes were always on even when I was not pressing the pedal.

Mechanic wanted to replace master cylinder and then booster.

IH8mud said to shorten the pushrod from master cylinder to booster.

Mechanic said that wasn't the problem.

I took out some wrenches, watched a YouTube video and adjusted it myself. Success! The brakes work perfectly.

The collective knowledge here is remarkable. And putting a wrench on a car for the first time since high school was quite rewarding!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom