FJ45. Ignition coil is good but no spark? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Those look burnt,. Change the points and the condenser, clean all the grounds/connections,. Don't put cheep plugs in it ngk plugs and wires are reasonable price wise...

You can get a 12v coil that eliminates the ballast resistor.. most old tractors have been converted to these..
Thank you for your comments. As regards NGK plugs, can you please tell me the correct selection plug number? Thanks.

What year fj45 and any idea if it's the factory motor??

BPR5EY-11 for a 2f..

What year fj45 and any idea if it's the factory motor??
It is a 1984 with original engine and under 29,000 miles from new. European market model. Thanks for the NGK reference number but I now understand that the plug for this European market model is B5 ES.

Sometimes when cars with points sit for yonks the points corrode in the nylon bushing and don't spring back.Thats when wd40 can help.
Sometimes corrosion on the surface of the points stops them working. A Points file is often needed to clean the contacts.
As whitey45 says, they can be burnt. A file can sometimes fix them enough to get a spark.
Sometimes there is no gap due to wear, and they need to be adjusted.
I hate points, but at least they're simple.

New points might be a good idea.
Good luck.
Thanks for your comments. The points are badly burnt. Cranked the engine by hand and the points do not open completely. Contact still between the points at all times. Have ordered new points and condenser.

That looks like a non-US distributor 1910-61080. Does the vacuum advancer work and hold vacuum?

I'd also recommend a new Toyota condenser, Part Number 19133-60040, retail $6.74. Points Part Number is 04191-41010, retail $14.62. Distributor cap Part Number is 19101-41010, retail $26.21. I buy a lot of my new OEM parts from www.toyotapartsdeal.com, their prices are a bit less than 75% retail.

I can give you a good deal on a new set of NipponDenso points, and I'll throw in some used distributor cap clamps that are in good shape. I also have a supply of new NipponDenso vacuum advancers if yours isn't working. PM me if interested.
This is a European 1984 model which has a different distributor. Thanks but I can obtain the points and condenser locally and hopefully will get it to run.

Is the distributor Part Number 19100-61010? Just curious.

4 Cruisers, Unfortunately, I do not have a parts book and therefore I do not know the part number for the distributor. Thanks to you and to everyone for all your replies. I am glad to say that when I examined the points I found that they were burnt and stuck together!!! They were not opening and therefore no spark. I replaced the points and condenser as suggested and she fired up. When it started the fan belt started to whistle so I now need to tighten up the belt. That is what I am at now but the bottom bolt on the alternator is holding tight. Have sprayed in wd40 but still no movement. Will now take off the air filter to get more leverage on the bolt. I want to be gentle though as I do not want the head of the bolt coming off. Hopefully leaving the wd40 on it for a few days will help. Thanks again for all of your comments and suggestions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom