FJ43 LAND (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

" My Mistress "

DSCN6583.JPG
DSCN6584.JPG
DSCN6588.JPG
DSCN6589.JPG
DSCN6594.JPG

When I saw this thread I immediately thought of @Folkert ... he did a superb job on a bj44 resto with tons of details. Search for his posts or - bj44 - https://bj44.wordpress.com/ - I think the pic from GC‘s post above is actually from that website.
Both the red and mustard 43’s here just look awesome....nice rigs 👍

@WyattEarle

The first picture you posted reminds me off a saying in Colombia that "these trucks climb up to a pole that has been with covered with green soap"

@FJ404345
what does that mean????

devo
It's a saying that suggest that the 40 series are so 4x4 capable that they can even climb a pole of streetlight that has been made slippery with soap straight upwards

Last edited:
Hi everyone!

I am relatively new to MUD so let me know if this is in the wrong spot. I am currently restoring a 1977 Colombian FJ43. Now as i'm sure many of you are aware, any FJ's from Columbia tend to be a little rough around the edges and feature some unique "Colombian Creativity" as I call it. Personally I love the 43 and its extended wheel base, being a college kid, packing 9 of my buddies and driving up to the lake blasting tunes is probably one of my favourite things in life. Ive had the truck since high-school and have been working on it ever since (rebuilt the engine, Transfer case and Transmission and some minor fixes/upgrades). As I get further into restoring the truck i've found it difficult to find information specific to the 43. That is why I wanted to start this thread.

The 43 was only offered in South America, primarily Colombia. In order to reduce tax costs it was imported as an "agricultural vehicle" thus, it was only offered with a soft top. There were three companies in Colombia that made hardtops and supposedly used TEQ glass (maybe they were connected to Toyota in some way). It was mainly used as a farm vehicle or rural taxi, meaning they were worked pretty hard! Many components of the 43 were similar to the 40, however, compared to the US 40 it was behind in development. The major differences Im aware of (besides the longer wheel-base) include...

- No emissions/smog
- No dash pads
- No roll bar
- No heater
- No AC (Some trucks had it but I believe it was quite rare or a dealer option)
- Drum Brakes all around
- No power steering
- No factory radio (not 100% about this)

The good thing is, is that most of these parts are fairly easy to add to a 43 since they were made with many of the same body/chassis parts and components. Personally, I love the utility aspect of the 43 and for budgets sake, am happy to keep it original as it was in Colombia. That being said, I love working on/restoring my truck, adding new things and generally freshening it up. So, i'm reaching out to any of you who might have information, original photos/diagrams, Colombian contacts, videos etc... or any cool ideas or things you've done to your 43, that might be able to help/inspire me or any others working on 43's, dealing with the lack of specific info and/or Colombian creativity.

Basically ANYTHING related to the FJ43, feel free to post it here!

Thanks in advance and happy cruisin!

Sam
Thanks Sam. The FJ43 was shipped to many countries, not just Columbia. I have imported several from Saudi Arabia. I am in the process of restoring my final FJ45pick up and FJ43. The 45 is almost completed except or the interior. The 43 needs a rear bed (the existing one is fine but it is not original). I am trying to find a company that makes them. I am getting to the realization, I may have to get a FJ40 bed and have it modified ( lengthened). Cheers, John

Thanks Sam. The FJ43 was shipped to many countries, not just Columbia. I have imported several from Saudi Arabia. I am in the process of restoring my final FJ45pick up and FJ43. The 45 is almost completed except or the interior. The 43 needs a rear bed (the existing one is fine but it is not original). I am trying to find a company that makes them. I am getting to the realization, I may have to get a FJ40 bed and have it modified ( lengthened). Cheers, John
There are some companies in Columbia that still make steel body parts including the FJ43 beds. I have the name of a company and will post when I get back home.

Hi everyone,

Thanks so much for the info, feedback and pics. I love seeing 43's and learning more about them! I just got home for summer after finishing up my 3rd year at university, which means I can finally work on my cruiser again!! Last summer my dad and I decided to go all in on our restoration and got it prepped for the body shop where it spent the winter getting cleaned up and repainted to factory beige. Attached are a few pics from when they put the body back on. I'm so excited to hopefully finish it up this summer as i've sourced most of the parts I need and as of last weekend have begun the process of reassembly. Based on the posts above I see many of you are well experienced when it comes to restoring cruisers and I was wondering if anyone had any helpful tips such as a good starting point, the best steps to take when reassembling, what order to do what etc. All info or comments are welcome and will be of use as this is my first restoration of any kind! Appreciate any help in advance, and will post more pics throughout the next few months as I continue the restoration!

Cheers,
Sam

IMG_0228.jpeg

IMG_0230.jpeg

IMG_0233.jpeg

IMG_0236.jpeg

IMG_0238.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom