FJ43 Build from Far Far Away. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Very nice project. The 43 is my favorite Cruiser. Good luck!

FJ43 + MB turbodiesel + H55F ?? That is too cool. Looking forward to pictures of this imaginary progress you keep talking about :D

Yes it really isn't much progress considering the timeline.

I actually got the tank I got from you lined right before I left but never had time to mail it. Now I'm actually thinking it might not work with the FJ43 rear frame rails as they are different than a FJ40.

You have to wonder though. I believe the Banderiante in Brazil came from their factories with the above combo all the way up to 1991 until they switched to the 14B.

Too bad that tank doesn't fit - you would think the 43 frame is just a stretched 40 frame. If you don't wind up using it, a new coworker of mine is looking for one for his 40. maybe recoup your cost without having to ship.

Too bad that tank doesn't fit - you would think the 43 frame is just a stretched 40 frame. If you don't wind up using it, a new coworker of mine is looking for one for his 40. maybe recoup your cost without having to ship.

That might be what ends up happening. I am going to take the measurements today and have my dad let me know if it is worth shipping. I"m ITCHING to go work on this thing. Darn deployments...why can't everyone in the world just get along.

i agree when its a labor of love its better to have than to wish and want to have good luck cannt wait to see more

Yep. I'm lucky in the have department. At a cost of my sanity and my wife bitching at me more than the money out of my pocket though.

This was in the parking lot at work today.

Paint the top white and it would be the FJ43 much younger cousin from the US.
IMAG0684.jpg

I'll be posting pics of the build soon. Just waiting on my dad to send them. I need some help though.

Currently welding on the 4x4 Labs Saginaw frame gusseting plates as well as the Man-a-fre (rock catcher) shackle reversal.

#1: The rock catcher has an extra plate on the outside that goes up the stock frame.

#2: The 4x4 labs plates do not allow me to use that outside portion of the rock catcher.

I'm thinking I will just cut that upper/outer portion of the rock catcher mount off so I can more easily use the 4x4 lab braces. I think there will be plenty of strength on that rock catcher bracket if I use two bolts from the bottom and weld around the entirety of the bracket to the now much stronger and wider front frame members.

Next Problem:

#1: The 4x4 labs plates extend about 2 inches beyond the stock frame. I know I will not be able to nor will I use the stock bumper.

#2: The MAF SR kit keeps the axle in the stock location.

Should I move the front bracket forward that 2 inches now that my frame brackets from 4x4 labs extend. This will give me a slightly longer WB for stability ( mean it is already an FJ43 and 6" longer) and slightly better approach angle.

Not sure if that extra 2 inches is recommended though. Good exuse to get new DS' and may help with the compression problem on the slip yoke with the SR. I do worry about turning radius though I think I will be just fine. Also worry about it looking stupid with 33" tires in the wheel well but 2 inches shouldn't be enough to really notice.

Thoughts of what I should do on these two problems? Now is the time as we are going to start welding it all on this weekend.

Engine is finally out of the box and on an engine stand. Looks like most everything I need is there or in the box EXCEPT for the original flywheel. Looks like I might have to remove the bottom end and go and take the crankshaft and my new flywheel to the machine shop as they are externally balanced engines.

Anyone's thoughts on this? I would prefer not to but I'm sure there will be a time I rev this up to 5K and I don't want to be sorry.

Also contacted Alcan and one step closer to getting some rear springs made.

Someone buy my FJ62 or Touareg so I can get the hard parts in and get to fabbing!!

I recently had mine balanced. I had removed and discarded the flywheel without giving it a second thought so I always had a vibration from about 2000 rpm's on up.
In order to balance the crankshaft they will need a piston to measure for bob weights, my simple balancing job became a full blown overhaul when I pulled the head off and removed a piston.

I recently had mine balanced. I had removed and discarded the flywheel without giving it a second thought so I always had a vibration from about 2000 rpm's on up.
In order to balance the crankshaft they will need a piston to measure for bob weights, my simple balancing job became a full blown overhaul when I pulled the head off and removed a piston.

Thank you,

I will likely do this then. The engine was just rebuilt, but I know the head was not. Good time to take care of that I guess.

About how much did it run you to rebuild the engine? I'm guessing I just need some head parts and gaskets (looked them up and all together were only a few hundred bucks).

The engine only had 130,000 so I did not touch the head.
Rings, bearing, timing chain and gaskets were about $650.
The balancing of crank and surfacing of the flywheel was $230.
Assemble all of it and stretch a rod bolt while torquing them......Priceless....Had to wait another week for rod bolts plus $100

addicted56 said:
#1: The 4x4 labs plates extend about 2 inches beyond the stock frame. I know I will not be able to nor will I use the stock bumper.

The stock frame horn brackets that mount to the outside of the frame will account for this, if you are using those you will be fine here -

Tucker

Consensus from folks who've done multiple manual trans conversions on 617's is that the majority of them are internally balanced. I haven't bothered to get the Fidanza FW from 4x4 Labs matched to the flexplate from the motor. I'll sweat it if it becomes a problem but I doubt it will.

This is almost ancedotal, but I stuck a flywheel from an M103 on my OM603 when I converted my '87 300d to a manual and there is no balance issue even at 5k rpms. Mercedes seems to like internally balanced engines.

Ray thank you for the information. The world of conflicting information. So tough. I'm always torn.

Do you have a build thread for an OM617 or 603 land cruiser?

Well the welding didn't happen this weekend back home so I guess I still have a couple of weeks to decide.

While I'm asking questions I'm about to order my tires from discount tire as they are having a sale kinda (100 dollar rebate). Pretty sure I have my mind made up on the Cooper Discovery ST in a 255/85/16 variety. They have some MB 72 wheels as well but they have a -16mm offset (around a 3" backspacing if my math is correct) and are a 7" rim. I don't want them to stick out to much but I doubt a 1/2 would make much of a difference on a skinny tire and shouldn't have any problems keeping them inside my wheel wells. That and steering geometry shouldn't change that much. Stock are 3.5 correct?

I was going to keep my split rims but decided I wanted to keep the weight down. I haven't found specs on either of the split or the aluminum rim but I think I will save around 5 pounds a wheel. Then I was going to go with the KM2 over the ST but the ST is 11 lbs lighter. I think they are the same in road noise department but I hear the ST doesn't get louder over time like the KM2 and lasts a bit longer. I had KM2's on my last rig but only for about 5K miles before I sold it. I'm hoping the extra 60-70lbs in rotating mass will save me in the MPG/Acceleration department. I know rotational weight isn't a big deal for highway travel but the stop and go here in Savannah might help out a bit.

Last edited:
Consensus from folks who've done multiple manual trans conversions on 617's is that the majority of them are internally balanced. I haven't bothered to get the Fidanza FW from 4x4 Labs matched to the flexplate from the motor. I'll sweat it if it becomes a problem but I doubt it will.

This is almost ancedotal, but I stuck a flywheel from an M103 on my OM603 when I converted my '87 300d to a manual and there is no balance issue even at 5k rpms. Mercedes seems to like internally balanced engines.

That's funny. I believed the same thing until it happened to me.
Why would a manufacturer like Mercedes balance each engine individually?
I don't know but they did.

That's funny. I believed the same thing until it happened to me.
Why would a manufacturer like Mercedes balance each engine individually?
I don't know but they did.

Better safe than sorry. Plus the smoother the better for this daily driver.

Checking out your build thread right now.

Its been so long since I've been home working on it I don't know where to start anymore. I guess I will just add a bunch of short captions.

The frame is exactly as it was when I was home last Christmas. Besides spending money and collecting parts it is no further than it was last year.
IMG_2431.jpg
IMG_2432.jpg
IMG_2434.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom