FJ43 Build from Far Far Away. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That's one beautiful engine. I had my Fidanza flywheel match balanced and the guy said the same thing. Had to remove a lot of material on one side using a 180 deg balance procedure. He better have got it correct! We shall see....

congratulations on the baby :cheers:

yurts in GA ? oh the humidity :eek:

Sitting here on my phone while I put the kid down and realized I hadn't been on here in awhile. Ordered a bunch of new parts for the clutch. Actually everything you can think of to include the arm and hub. Been way to busy with work, the family, and the yurts to post anything though. Should have some pics In the coming months of the entire drivetrain in for the final time.

Sadly due to a project building a yurt all year I haven't had the money to throw at the project nor the time to keep researching small things that needed done. But the engine/trans/t-case are in for the last time (hopefully). Everything is looking good. Body mounts should be on today and then placing the cage and seats in the next few days to clean up shop space.

Only real issue is it looks like we are going to have to move the rear shackle mount forward on the front springs. The weight of the engine moved the springs down a couple of inches but that shackle angle isn't going to fix itself with more weight.

Anyone have ideas for the alternator? Thinking of going with a GM product to make it easy to replace. I would love to keep the stock alternator as it is easy to service and the brushes are adjustable but at best it puts out 55 amps and the stock replacements they all recommend on the other Mercedes forums are oddball low production units.
Engine1.JPG
Engine2.JPG
Engine3.JPG
Engine4.JPG
Engine5.JPG

Well been about 8 months since I've posted anything but headed back home in a couple weeks. Just picked up a new aluminum radiator and a progressive fan controller. Hope to get some work done on the FJ43 while home. Hopefully we can make some progress before it sits for another 2 years :)

I will update a few photos from my phone later but I didn't get as much time to spend working on the FJ43 as I hoped while visiting home last month. It is tucked back away in its corner now until the next couple years and I can make it home.

Highlights were building our custom fan shroud for the Taurus fan on the new aluminum radiator, painting and installing the roll cage, and installing the tires/wheels.

Accomplished a few other things like got the seats in permanently, painted and installed the fuel tank, mounted the steering column, brake booster, clutch, Installed a new torque reduction starter and a bunch of other small odds and ends around the engine, like timing the fuel pump, installing injectors, glow plugs and the like. Messed around with the AC compressor for 2 hours and still never found a good way to mount it that I really liked. To big of a pump and not enough room next to the frame.

The new motto when I left was "just another 4,000 bucks and 4000 HOURS!!!!". Simple things that should take 10 minutes take an hour as after this long in a build and different engines, and parts lying around it takes more time to find the parts and bolts and or figure out how it now goes together with everything we changed than to just do it.

We will have to redo the front suspension as the hangers are to far back and the shackle angle is way off. Moving our axle forward makes the wheels look a bit odd in the front fender well so that may be something we have to address in the future and my offset/backspacing in the wheels leave them hanging out past the wheel well about an inch in the back and I worry about rock chips and flinging mud. Sadly already painted the rig but though about welding/molding some flares in the rear or tubing. I'm not a big fan of the bronco looking fender flares you often see. Anyway millions of decisions to make still.

Am excited again to work on it again though I realize it will likely be a couple years unless things drastically change in location/job in the Army. Here's to crossing my fingers.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1434152463.581275.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1434152489.538284.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1434152505.838365.jpg

I call it the star fighter and I wanted to clear the whole thing with my dads signature and all the weld marks as they were. My dad in his perfectionist ways finished it up with seam sealer around the the whole thing and painted with a high grade black paint he uses for industrial trailers.

Let me tell you this thing really sucks some air. We had much less room than I thought do to moving the engine forward with the 5 speed transmission. To the point we could not center the fan to get it to fit in between the pulleys. But testing reveals it will pull air through every part of the radiator and she will suck better than your high school prom date. No worries at all about cooking in the future. With the progressive controller I'm hoping it barely ever runs.

Last edited:
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1434153319.110489.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1434153346.154556.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1434153360.783626.jpg

I pulled the rear rotors and calipers and painted them as well. I thought they had been painted silver from the factory but it wasn't and was blood red from rust from the fresh castings and salty coastal air. Need to get that thing out of there and to a warm dry place or a dehumidified garage.

Pictures of the roll cage mounts we built to tie to the frame. Bushings to reduce vibration. Family should be very safe.

Last edited:
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1434153579.021877.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1434153608.157402.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1434153629.948065.jpg

Sadly I didn't take a lot of photos. The custom springs in the rear are heavy an as others have stated that all the fj45 length springs from alcan are short. I'm hoping they will lengthen enough when I get more weight back there with the top and rear fuel tank to squat it down. And bring it level with the front. Also see shackle angle in the front. He miss measured by 1/2 inch on one side and 3/4 on the other. Unless they flatten out we are going to have to move the rear mount forward at least 2 inches to get the appropriate shackle angle. Anyone have thoughts on this that have installed the MAF kit? I actually like at one in a parking lot on a fj40 while in town and he had the same problem with his shackle angle straight up. Also tracking that he put the rear shackles on upside down. At least I think. The directions he got from MAF had them that way though so who knows.

What you can't see in the photo is there is enough leg room in the rear seat for someone 6'6" and have leg room and still plenty of room behind the seat for a cooler or sleeping gear. The seat is really comfortable for an old mini van seat. Get it recovered and good to go.

Last edited:
Ohh did I mention I think I have a 2 3/4 turn saginaw steering box? I purchased a 3.5 but it doesn't appear to be so. Just another thing I will have to change out. People say the 3.5 is twitchy. I can only imagine.

Last edited:
So looks like I have not been on here in about 5 years. Man has a lot happened. Got out Active Duty in June of 2017. Moved back home, bought some land and built our own home. Started a Solar business that failed by the end of year one, and then went to work for a Marine Transportation Company in home town. Kids are now 8 and 5.

I have not done ONE SINGLE THING to the cruiser since the last post. Moved it from my dads shop to give him more room and into my new garage. In the middle of my second mid life crisis I picked up a Datsun 2000 Roadster that I have wanted for some time. Luckily only took a few weekends of work so far and not much money. Something to satisfy my urge to drive something Japanese and red until I finish the cruiser. Sadly no spare funds or time for the cruiser so it may be another 5 years before I get to it. Must be the Traylor curse as my dad did the same thing with his 56 Ford. Would love to get on it though and meet up with some of you in the Oregon area. In North Bend/Coos Bay area on the coast now.

IMG-4967.JPG

Glad to see your still around!!!

Love the roadster... I had a 73’ triumph spitfire as my first car ... had it for over 20 years before I sold it ... I MISS that car

Loved hugging turns with it

It’s good to have two toys ... I’m lucky to still have one lol

Thanks for the update !!!

Great to see this thread still alive. Why don't you inventory what's left on the 'cruiser in two ways - most work, and most money, and then start at the bottom of each list. The whole thing may seem overwhelming, but it can be broken into bite-sized chunks. I'd hate to see you bail out on it now!

Great to see this thread still alive. Why don't you inventory what's left on the 'cruiser in two ways - most work, and most money, and then start at the bottom of each list. The whole thing may seem overwhelming, but it can be broken into bite-sized chunks. I'd hate to see you bail out on it now!

That is a very good idea Steve. I know there are many things I could do, it has just been overwhelming to know where to start again. I did a parts inventory when I moved it all and it is amazing how much I forgot I did have, and again how much I didn't have. Good thing we have this forum to document it for me.

I bought an FJ45 that was a nice body shell with no drivetrain, wiring, a bent frame, etc. I literally didn't know where to start and was impatient to get started on this truck.

I decided to list all the subsystems (like axles, suspension, brakes, wiring, exhaust, driveline, fuel system, etc.) and what they needed, and tackle them one-by-one. I sorta started at the bottom of the truck and worked my way up. Turned out great.

Good news is while cleaning up more of my Dads shop we found my EZ wiring kit. Finally got lights in the garage put up this last week and winter is here so hope to get started on it soon.

I've looked at online drawings of the differences and measurements of the FJ43/40 and I'm pretty sure this will work. I need better measurements though. Anyone out there with a FJ43 used one of these as an Aux tank?

Side note...only 1/2" to spare between top of lift and cruiser when moved to the bottom in the priority position.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom