FJ40Z's '97 FZJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I guess It (wasn’t) Raining Men? By the Weather Girls for you young ‘uns or those who had hoped to forget.

769534.gif

Your generation had its raining men, mine had Barbie Girl

So I got another piece to my 80 puzzle today. I had been looking for a nice older Coleman stove for a while with the idea I’d like to do a drawer setup similar to @GLTHFJ60 ’s. I mentioned this to my father in law last week and he said he had one that he hasn’t used in years and I could have it. We went to their house today and he had it there for me. It was bought new in ‘73 and he used it on one camping trip, it is literally like new. Still has the box and all the paperwork. I should say that I have never used a “white gas” stove before, only propane. I lit it up this evening and looks like I have a leak at the generator tip. Anyone have any insight on what to check to fix this?

2F9DC82D-1896-40C4-8BC5-CDEDD3F40546.jpeg

Nice buy!!!

Which end, the one that slides into the burner or by the valve?

If the former, bend the tabs down and in a bit on the tank. That'll put more inward pressure on it and should fix the leak. It'll never be entirely leak free, but when running and hot, it shouldn't be burning out of that socket, just the burner.

Nice buy!!!

Which end, the one that slides into the burner or by the valve?

If the former, bend the tabs down and in a bit on the tank. That'll put more inward pressure on it and should fix the leak. It'll never be entirely leak free, but when running and hot, it shouldn't be burning out of that socket, just the burner.

Thanks Johnny, it’s leaking where it slides into the burner. I circled it in this pic. I’ll try bending the tabs.

3F58F8C0-BF17-4E9F-A9FE-D23F2B80632E.jpeg

possible blockage in the gas pathway?

Update time! New tie rod ends and ujoints went on today. Totally blown away at how much better the 80 drives and handles now. I thought it was pretty good before with the new shocks and steering damper but new TRE’s made all the difference. Steering is unbelievably better. Used the 555’s from Cruiser Outfitters and Matsuba ujoints.

Update time! New tie rod ends and ujoints went on today. Totally blown away at how much better the 80 drives and handles now. I thought it was pretty good before with the new shocks and steering damper but new TRE’s made all the difference. Steering is unbelievably better. Used the 555’s from Cruiser Outfitters and Matsuba ujoints.
Make sure you paint the 555's. they will rust.

So I remember thinking the first time I saw this 80 when @jfz80 drove to pick it up that it could really use a buffing with a light compound and then a wax. Almost 2 years later and I finally got around to it:hillbilly:

Honestly it needed more buffing with the compound than it got but at least the paint finally got some needed attention

933F9E01-1BFD-4958-826C-CA9CFA86555C.jpeg

846F16EC-D74D-4426-8705-62F2F5371F6C.jpeg

D3A26A9E-5B67-4B9A-8641-8DB43AF76BB9.jpeg

That’s a nice truck. With the 80 prices the way they are...

Thanks!! It’s definitely not a John Mabe 40th Anniversary though

Looks awesome!

After 3 80’s and super hot feet during the summer with all of them I finally stumbled on a thread in 80’s tech that addresses the problem and the solution. I always thought the heat was coming from the transmission hump and it was just part of owning an 80. Had no idea there was a seal on the steering shaft at the firewall that would go bad and was letting engine heat in. It’s an easy fix with a cheap part so if you have an 80 and haven’t done this I would highly recommend. Here’s a pic of the new seal beside the old and a link to the thread in the tech section.

Hot drivers feet? This may be your fix.

C15EAEBD-C968-4EFB-A889-1FA51594E282.jpeg

7A12B3FD-4FE6-4CC4-AA86-CBAE55575502.jpeg

So here’s my cheap and easy way of adding extra light to the cargo area on my 80. Was meandering through Northern Tool this weekend and happened upon these battery operated light switches with led’s. Tried one out and it was crazy bright so I bought a couple for the 80. Velcroed them to the rear pillars and voila, let there be light. Total cost was $8.

04137646-DF32-491C-A52D-2277B4249C09.jpeg

9FAECD9E-6875-4FED-9299-4140D8515B48.jpeg

Yeah, had some for a while now. They're awesome but the switches on most of mine are really stiff. As in 'will rip the velcro off' stiff. Found some with a rotary dimmer switch somewhere for the same price. Much easier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom