Hot drivers feet? This may be your fix. (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

LandCruiserPhil

Peter Pan Syndrome
Supporting Vendor
Threads
The most overlooked reason for hot drivers feet is the steering shaft seal. Chances are if your seal has never been replaced then its bad. The FSM replacement procedure is crazy. Here is another option that takes ~20 minute and a ~$10 part.

The seal is located on the inside of the floor board were the steering shaft passes through the firewall. Position your steering coupler (just above your seal) where the two 3/8" dia. post are position up and down. Remoce the 2 bolts that holds the old seal in place. Next remove the 2 - 12mm nuts and bolts on the steering coupler. Roll the steering coupler to the side to seperate the two pieces. Now remove the bolt (bolt must be removed, not just loosen) on the steering box side of the coupler. Prior to sliding off the splines, take a sharpie and mark were the coupler and shaft come together. It must be replaced in the same position or your steering wheel will end up being turned while going straight. Slide the old seal off the shaft, prior to sliding the new seal over the shaft coat the inside of the seal with silicon grease. Reverse the procedure and reinstall the seal to the floor board LAST.
Steering seal1.JPG
Steering seal 2.JPG
Steering seal 3.JPG

****UPDATE*** 5.31.2014

Thanks to robertk61 for this great option:clap:

Did mine today, 45 mins to fit.

This is what I used (2 weeks to get delivered from the States though !!)

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/330663749889

IMG_0615.jpg

Will never have to worry about it again !

Pretty much, fit nicely on the shaft with no slop but had to grind it down a little at the top and bottom to fit better and needed slightly longer bolts, other than that easy ! Its was even cheaper to buy one of these and get it shipped over than to buy a genuine one.

A couple of places in the US to purchase

EBay -
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Steering-Shaft-Firewall-Mount-3-4-Bearing-Support-IMCA-/330663749889

Amazon -
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00D951Z1G/?tag=ihco-20

Manufacture -
https://www.bryke.com/310-251/Steering Shaft Firewall Bearing Support.html

Last edited:
The most overlooked reason for hot drivers feet is the steering shaft seal. Chances are if your seal has never been replaced then its bad. The FSM replacement procedure is crazy. Here is another option that takes ~20 minute and a ~$10 part.

The seal is located on the inside of the floor board were the steering shaft passes through the firewall. Position your steering coupler (just above your seal) where the two 3/8" dia. post are position up and down. Remoce the 2 bolts that holds the old seal in place. Next remove the 2 - 12mm nuts and bolts on the steering coupler. Roll the steering coupler to the side to seperate the two pieces. Now remove the bolt (bolt must be removed, not just loosen) on the steering box side of the coupler. Prior to sliding off the splines, take a sharpie and mark were the coupler and shaft come together. It must be replaced in the same position or your steering wheel will end up being turned while going straight. Slide the old seal off the shaft, prior to sliding the new seal over the shaft coat the inside of the seal with silicon grease. Reverse the procedure and reinstall the seal to the floor board LAST.
OOOHHH!!! Aren't you a smarty! I've been trying to fix that for a while. The closest I came up with on the prints at Camelback was 45865-12060 collar. Sweeet. I'll call Krystal tomorrow. Thanks much, man. John

Mines looked just like that. I had my rolled 94 in the garage and i just snaked it from it. Lol, I was having the hot feet also. Good one

Mine looks just like your before.

Can the coupler thing in the last image get loose over time? I had to replace the one on my mothers e46 last month and it tightened up the steering dramatically.

Thks for the heads up, am going to wrap the exhaust in front of firewall too

Brilliant! Thanks for the fabulous tip! Can you clarify what you were saying with "Roll the steering coupler to the side to seperate the two pieces.". IOW, are you turning the steering wheel from free until it is locked or are you actually pushing the steering coupler sideways without turning the wheel? Thanks. :cheers:

Last edited:
Mine looks just like your before.

Can the coupler thing in the last image get loose over time? I had to replace the one on my mothers e46 last month and it tightened up the steering dramatically.

Yes couplers can wear out. With that said I have never seen a Toyota coupler bad but with other makes its not uncommon.

One tip for you airbag equipped vehicles.

Lock the steering. Or loop the seatbelt thru the steering wheel to keep it centered.

Otherwise, spinning the steering wheel makes reassembly a beyotch. And you can break your airbag spiral cable.

Position the coupler prior to removal with the ignition key off and there will be no worries.

did both of mine last summer. worst part was getting the bolts loose from the coupler. i'd crack the bolts, then set the steering.

Brilliant! Thanks for the fabulous tip! Can you clarify what you were saying with "Roll the steering coupler to the side to seperate the two pieces.". IOW, are you turning the steering wheel from free until it is locked or are you actually pushing the steering coupler sideways without turning the wheel? Thanks. :cheers:

The coupler is backed with a steering u-joint. With the coupler in the said position the u-joint makes the rolling possible.

The picture shows the proper position of the coupler and you can see how the u-joint makes the rolling to separate possible.
Steering seal 4.JPG

Did mine several weeks ago as part of my water leak eradication project. Easy fix, and the original was toast. Definitely just a one :banana: project. Cooler in summer, more quiet, and less water = win.

:cheers:

Steve

cyclosteve-albums-oem-subtank-egyptian-picture18626-steering-seal.jpg

This is exactly just what I needed, I love ih8mud, you learn so much!

Thanks Phil! :cheers:

Seal.jpg
Seal.jpg

unbelievable!!, an hour ago I noticed there was a problem with this seal , still planning to analize ,now I see this post, will order on monday ,, thankyou very much !!!

With the hood open and in about 1/10th of a second I could see daylight through where the seal should have been. By rolling does that mean pushing (to the right or to the left) the upper part that's still attached to the U-joint away from the lower rubber part that still attached to the steering shaft?
DSC03220.jpg
DSC03223.JPG

Last edited:
My seal is shot also and would like to replace but the steering shaft rides quite a bit to drivers side. It is off-center by about 3/8 of an inch. Any suggestions?

Thanks, Vince

My seal is shot also and would like to replace but the steering shaft rides quite a bit to drivers side. It is off-center by about 3/8 of an inch. Any suggestions?

Thanks, Vince

Common, I believe part of the seals short life is a weak design my Mr T using the seal to center the shaft. Yet another reason for a good supply of silicon grease in the seals void.

NIcely done Phil! :clap:

Thanks a ton Phil. I will be doin this very soon. I think my squeaky steering whell is most like ly caused by this :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom