FJ40 won't start when hot (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

He said it is a FJ40.
An FJ is an FJ Cruiser, which is not a landcruiser.

My bad. As I've stated, I'm new in this forum. As you can see in my Avatar, I own an FJ40. It's a 1968, and I though I could simply abbreviate it as an FJ. I am glad I can identify it as an FJ40, and those in the know will know I have one of the early models. What years does the FJ40 model encompass.?

Call it what you want fj jeepy thing I really don't care just make sure your bezel thingy is not upside down.

I would never call it a "jeepy thing" . I want to call it what it is, ugly as it may be. :)
But now, what do you call a bezel? I'm trying to download a pic from my library, but I haven't learned how. I'm thinking I have to create an album on this forum and download from there.
Bob

Ok, so next time I take it for a spin, I will attempt to restart is by pushing the pedal to the floor without pumping. No choke.

Should I still be concerned with the bubbling or boiling of the fuel in the carb? Would insulating the fuel lines be a plan? If so is there a product someone could recommend?

And how about those hoses I have posted. Is that bent one supposed to be like that?

Ok, so next time I take it for a spin, I will attempt to restart is by pushing the pedal to the floor without pumping. No choke.

Should I still be concerned with the bubbling or boiling of the fuel in the carb? Would insulating the fuel lines be a plan? If so is there a product someone could recommend?

And how about those hoses I have posted. Is that bent one supposed to be like that?

Personally, I think you should be concerned about gas in your fuel ine getting overheated to the point it is evaporating before it gets to the carburetor. After all there must be something to cold air induction. You should take whatever measures to keep the gas from getting hot. If You have access to another coil, swap it out with the coil in the car next time the car stalls on you.
Bob

Personally, I think you should be concerned about gas in your fuel ine getting overheated to the point it is evaporating before it gets to the carburetor. After all there must be something to cold air induction. You should take whatever measures to keep the gas from getting hot. If You have access to another coil, swap it out with the coil in the car next time the car stalls on you.
Bob

He never said he had a stalling issue and a bad coil isn't gong to fix a fuel problem. There's also no reason to suspect his fuel is getting too hot in the lines. After all, the fuel lines are on the opposite side of the engine from the exhaust in an FJ40.

He never said he had a stalling issue and a bad coil isn't gong to fix a fuel problem. There's also no reason to suspect his fuel is getting too hot in the lines. After all, the fuel lines are on the opposite side of the engine from the exhaust in an FJ40.

An overheated coil will keep a car from restarting until it cools off, which will take about 30-45 minutes, the time he said it takes to get it restarted. The fuel line has to go from one side of the engine to the other. The fuel line on the FJ40 I just bought has a rubber fuel line going over the top of the valve cover. I plan to replace it with a steel line and possibly mount it against the firewall to have it as a heat sink.

I'm new on this forum and with FJ's

Thow shall never call an FJ40 an FJ. :doh: Some old school dudes around here that get punchy about that. You've now been warned and have used your one and only get out of jail free pass. Welcome to MUD!!

Thow shall never call an FJ40 an FJ. :doh: Some old school dudes around here that get punchy about that. You've now been warned and have used your one and only get out of jail free pass. Welcome to MUD!!

Thanks *Calif. I don't mind being corrected. I don't like being chastised. I learn easy...even at my age. :)
I just bought the FJ40 a few days ago. I also own a '42 Mercury 8, which I call a Merc. I have two '49 Oldsmobiles which I call Olds. and I own three Trifive Chevrolets (2 HT's, and a Nomad) which I call Chevies. It doesn't bristle anyone's scalp.
If it bothers some to see me refer to an FJ40 as an FJ I'll try to refrain from abbreviating, but please don's jump on my can if I forget once in a while until I get used to it.
I like this forum, and I know I can be a good member. PM me if you have a problem. I live in the Bay Area and we're pretty easy going folk. :)
Bob

I call Chevies

We do have Chevota's here. That's okay to say...I think.:rofl: Lot's of wicked smart FJ40 guru's here. @Pin_Head is one, and he's right that FJ's are something entirely different (mainly a waste of space). So to that point, what you will find is that folks are ready and willing to assist, but be overly descriptive and use photos when possible and you'll get the right answer to any problem; and most likely very quickly. Enjoy the forum and your new rig.

Easy enough to check to see if a cooling fan will help. Next time you go to park it at the house, open the hood and position a fan near the driver's side fender blowing at the carb. If you can start it 10 minutes later with no issue, then you found the problem. I had a similar problem in the Florida heat and adding a carb cooling fan with an adjustable thermostat resolved it.

So today was the first chance got to try the hot start procedure. Drove around for about 1/2 an hour came home parked it waited about 10 minutes. Wouldn't start. It did sound like it was struggling to crank, and I didn't hear the bubbling or boiling this time and there was a small amount of gasoline that i could see in the sight glass, maybe 1/4 of the way up.

So my next best step should be......

If i wrapped the fuel lines in rubber hose as a temporary experimental would that provide sufficient insulation to get some reliable data?

The coil is original, is there a way to test it?

Thanks for all the feedback

You can also say "My 40" is boiling the gas in the carb. 40 is non offensive to those who get their hackles up about the FJ business.
Check that your ground battery cable is grounded real good to clean chassis metal! Can be a bad cable that looks ok but isn't. That can mess you up and melt batt post etc.

One thing to try is to actually check the engine (block) temperature. I use a IR gun from harbor freight to pinpoint temps around the engine. If the engine is actually getting this hot, maybe your basic cooling system is not working. It is worth a try.

Cool 40, welcome to MUD man.

Check locally owned gas companies.

We have on here that sells no ethanol. Not cheap in the short run....

Wow. $3.99 a gallon! I thought I was getting ripped off paying $2.35 for ethanol free 91 octane.

FWIW I've been having the same issue with my 76 and since I've switched to ethanol free I've had no issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom