fj40 resto (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

No expert but there is holes in the head for the air injection ports. They're capped off, so the head at least is designed for it? Or they all had those in place idkAir injection ports?

USA models had the air injection ports. On the block, lower driver's are some provisions for the smog pump to be run off of the belt that is absent. So, there are two grooves on the some of the pulleys. There is a vacuum retard diaphragm on the distributor (probably a 19100-61020), which isn't ideal to have hooked up on this particular set-up. There might be a wax controlled vac unit on the thermostat housing. Also, the exhaust manifold might have an EGR plug? There are usually two water temp sending units on the head - one for emissions controls. The original exhaust manifold heat-shield would have a duct to deliver hot air to the air cleaner assembly when it is cold (this is worth running in winter on desmogged carbs, but the original valve is going to be a challenge on most air cleaner assemblies).

Smog diagrams, of the smog era, reference fumes from the tank, and PCV. These are two smog systems that are really good to not delete (PCV), and to deal with somehow (tank fumes). Right now, that PCV need to be configured, based on the photos.

I'd consider placing the alternator on the passenger side, using the original 2F belt and burly bracket to run it with. It would change the layout of the wiring harness. But, I've never seen the layout schematic of the harness for my truck, and I wonder if anyone has one for a '62?

I'd install a nylon fan, the original F fan has been reported to fatigue, loose a blade, and go thru the hood.
Thanks so much for the info I appreciate it

Welcome to Mud. Finally she come to you.
I hope your wife has evaluated,.. what to expect for next 3 years...:)

Start from structure condition as Dizzy said frame-body
Check rust on the frame. Look at any piece of metal you can. If it badly rotted gently(!) check with screwdriver or hummer, but PLEASE wear a safety goggles.. don't ask me how I know..

Thanks you are absolutely correct. I wish I would have gotten into this years ago to find parts easier since it's a 1962, but it would have sat for years. Now that I'm retired I have a lot of time on my hands. This is gonna be a long haul adventure for me.

Nice 40. We have a 62 too. If you’re looking for information on the older trucks check out the fj25 forum. Lots of early 40 owners there. But only purists!
the engine is replaced but you have the stock carb. The gearbox has been three on the tree. The top and rear hatch is stock. So is the spare wheel. The pintle hook and specialy the trailer socket are highly wanted!
It will be a lot of work but you’ll have fun. Take your time.

BTW Do you have the stamped bezel?

Last edited:
For inspiration: this is what you can make of it;)
A66E069C-7658-4085-8E0B-31C798E4935F.jpeg
DE1D78F8-E131-463B-B241-06981D08A4EC.jpeg

Nice 40. We have a 62 too. If you’re looking for information on the older trucks check out the fj25 forum. Lots of early 40 owners there. But only purists!
the engine is replaced but you have the stock carb. The gearbox has been three on the tree. The top and rear hatch is stock. So is the spare wheel. The pintle hook and specialy the trailer socket are highly wanted!
It will be a lot of work but you’ll have fun. Take your time.

BTW Do you have the stamped bezel?
What is the pintle hook and trailer socket? What do you mean by stamped bezel??

I remember seeing this one for sale. Good to see that it got scooped up by some caring hands. I have a soft spot for those corrugated tops. Looking forward to seeing the improvements.

That big window single barrel carb is a gem. Keep us posted on your progress. :)

That big window single barrel carb is a gem. Keep us posted on your progress. :)
That big window carb went back to the seller as per the agreement when the purchase was made by the wife.

Oh boy looks like you will have your hands full with this. Where are you in jersey. There is a guy on here and on face book market place that sell a lot of 40 parts. He’s from brick. He may be able to source you parts. But def get a welder, you will 100%. need it. I just replaced rear sill and quarter panels No prepping the rest for paint. Hope you have a big garage to work in. Working in the cold sucks. Good luck and hit me up it you have any questions. I have 1976 but maybe able to help you come up with metal fabbing ideas to get rid of some of that rust

Last edited:
Oh boy looks like you will have your hands full with this. Where are you in jersey. There is a guy on here and on face book market place that sell a lot of 40 parts. He’s from brick. He may be able to source you parts. But def get a welder, you will 100%. need it. I just replaced rear sill and quarter panels No prepping the rest for paint. Hope you have a big garage to work in. Working in the cold sucks. Good luck and hit me up it you have any questions. I have 1976 but maybe able to help you come up with metal fabbing ideas to get rid of some of that rust
This truck coming from him ...I belive

Last edited:
Thanks will definitely

Haha I’ve been in contact with him actually just recently seems like a nice guy we just have yet to make a deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom