1973 FJ40 transfer case shifter relocation when installing SBC/ TH350 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

AA has a bracket that bolts to adapter, not sure it moves it forward to stock location, you may have to make a custom bracket and relay rods. the newer shift rails for 4wd have a slot and are drilled so you can fasten to them vs. the old style slot on the side. A call to Georg at Valley Hybrids up in Stockton could save some time.

AA has a bracket that bolts to adapter, not sure it moves it forward to stock location, you may have to make a custom bracket and relay rods. the newer shift rails for 4wd have a slot and are drilled so you can fasten to them vs. the old style slot on the side. A call to Georg at Valley Hybrids up in Stockton could save some time.
Thanks for the insight. I picked the perfect hobby of rebuilding her. She throws out challenges on a daily bases.

I run a GM305 /th350 and my shifter is pretty close to where it was originally, maybe slightly rearward 2 inches. The shorter V8 vs. the straight 6 is a trade off for the longer th350. How long is your t-case adapter? A longer output tail shaft tranny could be the issue. Got pics?

I bought an Advanced Adaptors kit to go from a TH350 to a 10 spline transfer case. It took 7 months to get. I had a TH 350 transmission built to incorporate the output shaft that came with the kit.

IMG_0276.jpeg

IMG_0277.jpeg

That's about right for the adapter length. How much will the drive shafts have to be altered? I'll look at mine again but i do believe all the t/c linkage is original and not too far back. If I can figure how to load a pic I will.

I saw an old post where it is stated that you may have to make your own bracket to get back to stock, this also depends on how far forward you set engine. The bosses you see on the adapter by the vacuum accuator in the pic hold the bracket from AA for the shifter but unless you set engine uncommonly further forward you will most likely find the AA bracket puts the shifter at back of stock hole in tunnel cover.
To Paul A, you still run Hawgs, IMO best tire ever.

If you are still running the original fifty year old transfer case would source a 2WD/4WD shift rod from a four speed. That will reduce the length you have to deal with. Your high/low shift lever aims out the passenger side and having a longer rod to shift it isn't a big deal. Previous years the shift linkage came all the way from under the dash by the hand brake handle. Twin stick shifters may help with the 2WD/4WD. I see the split transfer case have a shift rod available that specially made for twin stick applications. Personally would have gone split case behind a V8.

The original transfer case operates fine, It is not a vacuum operated one. I went on AA website and ordered their shifter relocation bracket and 1' Speedo extension cable. The cable for the emergency brake seems to short but I will cross that bridge when I get to it. I purchased her 15 years ago and trailed her home. Painted and switched out the original motor for an old 327 I've had since 1982 back in 2013. Being older now, its time for a new motor, automatic transmission and a cup holder.

If all else fails, you could buy AA twin stick kit and make it work.

Here is a picture of mine, it's a 700R4 behind a sbc 350, looks close to passenger seat but does not interfere since off to left of seat.

IMG_0386.jpeg

Nice to see the shifter moves that much over as compared to the stock location. Did your transfer case shifter assembly have a bracket that bolted to the top of the transmission and another bolted connection to the side off the transmission as well? What year is your FJ40?

Nice to see the shifter moves that much over as compared to the stock location. Did your transfer case shifter assembly have a bracket that bolted to the top of the transmission and another bolted connection to the side off the transmission as well? What year is your FJ40?
Its a 1972, no, the transfer shifts are on a bracket off the transfer case. Can't remember if this is the oem bracket or not (did the swap over 20 years ogo), see pic. I do have a bracket on top of trans for the Lokar automatic trans shifter.

IMG_1208.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom