FJ40-Powder coating frame? Versus Epoxy based chassis paint? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m starting to get things ready for a frame off restoration 1977 FJ40. It’s going to be a keeper. My frame off FJ60 I had the frame blasted and painted with epoxy based chassis paint in satin black. I liked the outcome and it was pretty durable and hard. But now I’ve found a guy in my region that can powder coat the frame after blasting. I assume this will be more durable (compared to paint) And have a nice looking finish as well. Here’s my question: Does anyone have experience with powder coating FJ40 frames and should I be sticking with traditional paint or do y’all think the powder coat is a good idea? Pros or cons are appreciated. The frame has typical surface rust and is orig from CO. I think it will finish up nicely once it gets blasted.

seems it would be hard to get all the inside channels sand blasted and clean enough to powder paint

some have galvanized their frames

either way, you want to make sure all the mods to the frame are done before coating

There must be 25 threads on this. DO a quick search.

To sum up:

Galvanizing is the toughest, followed by powder, followed by paint. There are many considerations, advantages, and disadvantages when pursuing any of the options.

The FJ40 frame is designed to flex. Personally, I would not powdercoat something that will flex.

Many other excellent options are available.

I get your point pjohnson
However, if I recall well, the chassis of the Land Rovers (Series and Defender) were galvanized, already from the Solihul plant.

I galvanized mine then painted with epoxy. I prefer paint as it is easier to touch up after a modification or damage. Very difficult to make it look great again with powdercoat after a mod or damage unless you take it back down to the frame and give it another dip.

Powder it. Powder can easily be touched up with black spray paint. Any reputable powder shop will have an outlet to match wet paint to powder in a spray can. Powder is also flexible to the extent that frame is flexing. Epoxy is not UV stable. It fades. Galv is top tier of course but also requires all paint be blasted off prior and typically has a minimum weight for a batch.

Last edited:
I get your point pjohnson
However, if I recall well, the chassis of the Land Rovers (Series and Defender) were galvanized, already from the Solihul plant.
They are not. But they sell a lot of aftermarket galvanized frames in UK for these vehicles.

I got my BJ42 frame galvanized, I can highly recommend. I painted it with black epoxy after that.

Not sure what the best answer is but I had mine powder coated, and I am very happy with the result. The powder coater did miss a few spots inside the rail. So long as they take their time coating the rail, then it should be ok. The 4 or 5 small spots, I hit with a quick spray of high gloss black.

20210714_154907.jpg

I believe the most practical is sand blast and POR15. Powder coating looks nice but as others have mentioned when the frame flexes the powder doesn't react well and it also chips somewhat easily.

Not sure what the best answer is but I had mine powder coated, and I am very happy with the result. The powder coater did miss a few spots inside the rail. So long as they take their time coating the rail, then it should be ok. The 4 or 5 small spots, I hit with a quick spray of high gloss black.

View attachment 2771904
That looks really nice. Good job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom