Builds Fj40+hj60 = hj46 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

serenity

Threads
I never thought i would post anything here, but here i am.

finally started some major work on my project, mounting a swb 40 series body on a shortened 60 series frame. i plan to use as many stock components as possible. as yet i haven't decided whether i will shorten the 40 series body and build a ute tray, or lengthen it to make up the extra length of the 60's frame. i'm currently leaning towards building a short tray i can hide a spare tire under.

got most of the body cut away now, working on removing everything attached to the firewall, it is quite a challenge. also bought 35's for it, although i have been having fun with those on my 80 for the last few months.
P1000160r.jpg
P1000161r.jpg
P1000158.JPG

ive gotta say i hate wiring, pulling apart the dash and stripping the firewall is proving to be a tedious task. i have no idea which wires i can cut and which ones i cant.

ive gotta say i hate wiring, pulling apart the dash and stripping the firewall is proving to be a tedious task. i have no idea which wires i can cut and which ones i cant.

depends on wich it's your target and engine ..

Got the firewall out this weekend with the help of a mate. also used some skills that haven't been tested since grade 9 art and drew up a sketch of what i hope the finished product will look something like. next job is ripping the axles out and rebuilding them.
P1000163.JPG
P1000165.JPG

got a bit more done this weekend; built a frame to sit my axles on and pulled out the rear axle, ground all the oem spatter off it and gave it a coat of paint.
unfortunately a lot of the brake components are badly corroded so i might actually have to spend a bit of money replacing parts, going to my favourite shop tomorrow to get prices.
P1000168r.jpg
P1000170r.jpg

Been a while since i posted anything, progress has been slow lately. been flat out at work and been getting out of the house on the weekends. took my 80 for a drive this weekend.

other than that i have one side of the brakes done, and the hubs and axles drilled for extra dowels. i really need a free weekend to get this axle finished.
P1000218r.jpg
P1000219r.jpg
P1000242r.jpg

Last edited:
got something significant done since my last reply, rear axle is back in, but awaiting a locker. the front axle is out for its turn, and the rear of the frame has been chopped back. next step is to box in the rear of the frame and brace it for some big tow hooks.

does anyone know an easy way to remove the rivets holding everything onto the frame? i tried grinding off one side of them and beating them out but they wont budge. :mad:
P1000264r.jpg
P1000265r.jpg

does anyone know an easy way to remove the rivets holding everything onto the frame? i tried grinding off one side of them and beating them out but they wont budge. :mad:

Patience, persistance and elbow grease. Hammers, chisels, airtools and maybe some heat will be off help to.:hillbilly:

Keep the pics comming.:cheers:

Here's what I've done successfully to remove rivits.

First, I grind off the head. Next, I drilled about halfway through with a drill bit about half the diameter of the rivit. This hollowing of the body allows the body of the rivit to contract when being pushed out. Then I used an air hammer with a punch tip in it. The rivits came right out.

Don

cheers guys, i'll try the drill and big hammer method. i am lacking in the air tool department. an oxy or plasma cutter is on my wish list, but unless i can pick one up cheap its years away.

oh well back into the fray this morning, time to make some noise.
i think my neighbours are starting to hate me:D

ok so i started cleaning up the front axle, is this pitting too much for a rig thats gonna see mud frequently and is predominantly used off road? im worried that the seals aren't gonna do their jobs. new front axle time?
P1000267r.jpg

some serious corrosion in my books .. I've seen worse kuckles down here .. and they are still running.

so you would run them tapage?
what do you think about filling them with a nice hard epoxy resin? a mate used some on the suspension on his bike when the upper stanchion copped a rock.

so you would run them tapage?
what do you think about filling them with a nice hard epoxy resin? a mate used some on the suspension on his bike when the upper stanchion copped a rock.

I tried that on a landrover once with deep grooves in them, they held up at least 2 years. Lost track of it after that. It does give you a lot of rework after applying.

ok so i started cleaning up the front axle, is this pitting too much for a rig thats gonna see mud frequently and is predominantly used off road? im worried that the seals aren't gonna do their jobs. new front axle time?

my opinion, that ain't no big deal

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom