FJ40 HFS 4" lift (New to lifting above 2.5) Need some advice! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So after a long debate and reading everyone's opinion between CCOT HFS 4" lift, Skyjacker, OME 2.5", ETC ETC, I have decided to go with the CCOT Hell for Stout 4" lift kit.

But I will need some advice and knowledge from everyone on the forum to do this on my own. I have read every single thread I could find about this specific lift kit, but no one really talks about the following necessities:

Can someone help me out with the driveline and pitch angle information they used on their own rig? and if a new extended driveline was used.

I know that for OME 2.5" lift they added shims to the kit for the driveline.

I’ve installed two of these and have been very happy with them.

I would suggest an extended rear brake line to the axle and 4 degree shims on the front axle. Other than that, just bolt it all up. No other driveline changes.

I’ve installed two of these and have been very happy with them.

I would suggest an extended rear brake line to the axle and 4 degree shims on the front axle. Other than that, just bolt it all up. No other driveline changes.
Thank you for the additional information.
Do you have a good source for the extended brake line, as well as where to find the shims needed?

here’s a good place i’ve used for shims. make sure you get steel ones. if you use aluminum like many places sell you’ll get dissimilar metal corrosion which is a pain. i don’t have a good source for brake lines but i’ll be watching as i need some too

Like I have posted before you have to get the rear of the transfer case and the rear pinyon angle within a couple degrees of being in plane with each other. You will need shims to do this and you really can only guess until you bolt everything up and take some measurements. Spector has a diagram that explains the shims and how they should be installed, but they sell aluminum shims and they are not to be used, steel only. The drive shafts should work with the lift kit no mods required. The extended brake lines should be installed, it’s the somewhat short connections that are available in stainless steel instead of the rubber lines. I see that the springs your planing on using have a leveler pad installed, not sure how you could use a shim and the leveler pad? Not sure why you would even need it, new springs should make the 40 level, mine is. Hope this helps, take the time and cash to get it correct iMO.

FYI....CCOT sells aluminum shims. In addition to the problem mentioned in the post above aluminum shims compress easily. Another reason to go with steel.
@cbmontgo did you use CCOT shims? My 40 has aluminum shims and I have ordered steel replacements. I was recently chasing noises in the front end. Someone on the forum suggested that I check my U bolts and asked about my shims. I was surprised by how loose they were. I am told that the aluminum is the cause.

Like I have posted before you have to get the rear of the transfer case and the rear pinyon angle within a couple degrees of being in plane with each other. You will need shims to do this and you really can only guess until you bolt everything up and take some measurements. Spector has a diagram that explains the shims and how they should be installed, but they sell aluminum shims and they are not to be used, steel only. The drive shafts should work with the lift kit no mods required. The extended brake lines should be installed, it’s the somewhat short connections that are available in stainless steel instead of the rubber lines. I see that the springs your planing on using have a leveler pad installed, not sure how you could use a shim and the leveler pad? Not sure why you would even need it, new springs should make the 40 level, mine is. Hope this helps, take the time and cash to get it correct iMO.
I wonder why they add the leveler pad if I will need shims?..

The shims are to correct the pinion angle. The leveler pad is to correct an issue with the cruiser "leaning" a bit to the passenger side. I never really noticed my 79 leaning to passenger side but when I installed this kit I noticed my old springs also had a "Leveler pad" on them. My 79 seems to sit level left to right with this kit. Kit is pretty easy to install, I have no experience and was able to do it. Also you may need a bit longer axle breather hose for the rear. I believe CCOT sells the extended brake lines as well. When I installed this kit my front was a bit higher than the rear. I ended up getting CCOT's extended shackles for the rear and that made it all even. When I called CCOT about it being higher in the front than thee rear they told me the cruiser's always sit a bit toward the back like that and maybe I should have gotten their other kit (do not remember the name) which has 2-2.5 lift springs in the front and 4" in the rear. Someone with more knowledge than I can chime in on whether that type of setup is beneficial and whether the 40's tend to sit a bit toward the rear

FYI....CCOT sells aluminum shims. In addition to the problem mentioned in the post above aluminum shims compress easily. Another reason to go with steel.
@cbmontgo did you use CCOT shims? My 40 has aluminum shims and I have ordered steel replacements. I was recently chasing noises in the front end. Someone on the forum suggested that I check my U bolts and asked about my shims. I was surprised by how loose they were. I am told that the aluminum is the cause.
I used steel on one of my 40s and aluminum on the other. So far no issues, but I'd recommend steel based on what I've read since the install.

Old aluminium shims and new steel from Valley hybrids

20180611_180443.jpg

20180509_092511.jpg

yup. that happened to me too and it becomes a bugger to ever get the center pin out if it’s all crust welded together from the corrosion

The shims are to correct the pinion angle. The leveler pad is to correct an issue with the cruiser "leaning" a bit to the passenger side. I never really noticed my 79 leaning to passenger side but when I installed this kit I noticed my old springs also had a "Leveler pad" on them. My 79 seems to sit level left to right with this kit. Kit is pretty easy to install, I have no experience and was able to do it. Also you may need a bit longer axle breather hose for the rear. I believe CCOT sells the extended brake lines as well. When I installed this kit my front was a bit higher than the rear. I ended up getting CCOT's extended shackles for the rear and that made it all even. When I called CCOT about it being higher in the front than thee rear they told me the cruiser's always sit a bit toward the back like that and maybe I should have gotten their other kit (do not remember the name) which has 2-2.5 lift springs in the front and 4" in the rear. Someone with more knowledge than I can chime in on whether that type of setup is beneficial and whether the 40's tend to sit a bit toward the rear

I have found the CCOT extended brake line at 22 inches. Do you know how many I will need to purchase? Thank you in advanced!

I have found the CCOT extended brake line at 22 inches. Do you know how many I will need to purchase? Thank you in advanced!
sor's stuff is better

sor's stuff is better
Is CCOT in general a creator of cheap parts? I’ve heard some bad stuff about some of their products like the A/C line they used to sell and stuff

Where can I find Sor’s stuff?

Should be there I think

Is CCOT in general a creator of cheap parts? I’ve heard some bad stuff about some of their products like the A/C line they used to sell and stuff
cool cruisers of taiwan......their sheet metal products are un-paralleled in quality....but everything else is junk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom