FJ40 Aisan carb idle solenoid working? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Replacing original solenoid but unsure of function check. The new
FJ40 1978 Aisan carb idle solenoid.jpg
plunger doesn't visibly move when solenoid energized 12V. It clicks with a thump that feels like internal movement. The end of the plunger has very small pinholes, and an O-ring at the end. Is there an internal function that opens or closes the small holes? Can the function be tested?

I guess you can blow through the hole in the end in one state, and not in the other?

I guess you can blow through the hole in the end in one state, and not in the other?
Yes! Brilliant. Thanks so much! When energized, the air will pass through. When not energized, air won't flow. With a flashlight beam from the side, movement can barely be detected inside the the tube with small holes when power is turned on or off. I'm guessing the purpose of the small holes is to spray fuel into a chamber of the carb during idle. NOTE: For reasons I can't explain, the test won't work with a small wire inserted in the end hole (shown in the new photo). Gently blowing air with your lungs seems to be the only way to determine if this solenoid valve is functioning properly. Thanks again, 45Dougal!

Toyota 1978 FJ40 Aisan carburetor idle solenoid.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom