1971 FJ40- Not the typical idle solenoid problem. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Having trouble with idle solenoid in my stock Aisan carb. Just finished the rebuild kit and was having trouble with idle and figured it was the solenoid. It bench tested fine, but doesn't work once installed on the carb. It has 12v going to it, and I ran a ground straight to the battery and can't get it to work. Take it off the carb, it works, put it on it doesn't. This is the last thing stopping me from being able to drive my 40 for the first time since aquiring it. What do I need to do?

You know that long rod on the solenoid? Just cut it off.

I messed with it a little more today. If I don't tighten down the screws all the way the solenoid works. When I snug them up it doesn't. Is there anything internally that could have gotten messed up during the rebuild that could be causing the problem? I'm thinking about making a block off plate in the morning. I just can't talk myself into chopping the needle off.

Could you have a bit of something in that passage that restricts the movement of the rod? Is that rod perpendicular to the body, not bent or anything? It's gotta be binding on something

Second on the rod being bent.

Could you have a bit of something in that passage that restricts the movement of the rod? Is that rod perpendicular to the body, not bent or anything? It's gotta be binding on something
It had something to do with the small rubber gasket where the rod goes in. I popped it out and it works fine. I don't really see why it needed to be there in the first place, but I have another rebuild kit of a different brand on the way. The one I got was sub-par. I will see how it works with the new one. I appreciate the help!
-Taylor

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom