FJ40 Aftermarket Spare Tire Carrier Manufacturer?

TLCJC

SILVER Star
What manufacturer produced this spare carrier? No markings or label that I can find.

Stress cracks and weight broke the lower frame.

Looking to find if the rotatable Carrier is easily removable so I can get the bumper breaks in frame welded and just use it until I decide on new plan with my 75.

Thnx always guys.
C3F44C87-861A-4E90-A092-2B63C3E0BAB6.jpeg
7F0314F5-555A-432A-847C-E8F52068E24F.jpeg
6B38D343-AFD4-4BBE-B3BD-ADA218B26DBE.jpeg

TLCJC

SILVER Star
Not sure if homemade but it’s over 15 years old from 2nd PO with paint and welds in good shape.

So much weight stress and torque on left lower frame bar...

Last edited:
Can't tell from the picture but it looks like the top collar on the pin is the only thing keeping it on. See if it has a set screw or two keeping it in place. If it does then chances are the tire carrier can then be lifted off the pivot pin.

3_puppies

SILVER Star
is the main bar box tube or C channel?
any idea of wall thickness?
it lost a lot strength when the taillight hole was cut out of it.
it needs re-inforced whether it is a thicker wall or boxing it with internal bracing

pb4ugo

SILVER Star
It's home made. Nothing lines up with the tub. The center vertical bar on the swing arm isn't centered with the body and the tops latch. A manufacturer wouldn't do that. It's a decent attempt and works , but It's all in the details.

Last edited:

TLCJC

SILVER Star
Time to go back to plan A faster. lol I have a post 1976 OEM tire carrier, but will look for a 75. Thanks guys.

TLCJC

SILVER Star
good luck....the left side mount plate style carrier was a two year only thing....not the easiest thing to find.
Thanks Brian. Haven’t searched yet for someone who has converted post 76 tube carrier to a 75. Another adventure for the 40.

Going to ask my Daughter to help me remove the homemade carrier next week. Thank God she loves to do this stuff too.

brian

SILVER Star
Website
www.facebook.com
Thanks Brian. Haven’t searched yet for someone who has converted post 76 tube carrier to a 75. Another adventure for the 40.

Going to ask my Daughter to help me remove the homemade carrier next week. Thank God she loves to do this stuff too.
the cool thing, is fst 75s had the plate style carrier on the right side....so either one would be correct....from a certain point of view.

pb4ugo

SILVER Star

I have a 75 40 hard top version. I swapped the plate style carrier to the tube style. I mocked it up to the tub, but haven't intalled it yet. The carrier needs to get painted 1st. I think I had to add 2 or 3 holes to make it work. I found It uses the same original holes for the hinges bolts, the bracket w/ rubber uses at least 1 hole where the original latch catch is for the plate version. It might use 2 holes, but I dont recall. I had to drill new holes in the tub for the tube style latch hook. I found this pic on mud and used it as a guide but made my own calculations and compared the 2. The pic can be confusing, all measurements going across the sill start at the 2 hinge bolts referenced, FYI.
20180125_094016_resized.jpg

TLCJC

SILVER Star
I have a 75 40 hard top version. I swapped the plate style carrier to the tube style. I mocked it up to the tub, but haven't intalled it yet. The carrier needs to get painted 1st. I think I had to add 2 or 3 holes to make it work. I found It uses the same original holes for the hinges bolts, the bracket w/ rubber uses at least 1 hole where the original latch catch is for the plate version. It might use 2 holes, but I dont recall. I had to drill new holes in the tub for the tube style latch hook. I found this pic on mud and used it as a guide but made my own calculations and compared the 2. The pic can be confusing, all measurements going across the sill start at the 2 hinge bolts referenced, FYI.
View attachment 2996926

That gives me a great start. THANK YOU!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom