FJ40 Aftermarket Spare Tire Carrier Manufacturer? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TLCJC

SILVER Star
Threads
What manufacturer produced this spare carrier? No markings or label that I can find.

Stress cracks and weight broke the lower frame.

Looking to find if the rotatable Carrier is easily removable so I can get the bumper breaks in frame welded and just use it until I decide on new plan with my 75.

Thnx always guys.
C3F44C87-861A-4E90-A092-2B63C3E0BAB6.jpeg
7F0314F5-555A-432A-847C-E8F52068E24F.jpeg
6B38D343-AFD4-4BBE-B3BD-ADA218B26DBE.jpeg

Not sure if homemade but it’s over 15 years old from 2nd PO with paint and welds in good shape.

So much weight stress and torque on left lower frame bar...

Last edited:
Can't tell from the picture but it looks like the top collar on the pin is the only thing keeping it on. See if it has a set screw or two keeping it in place. If it does then chances are the tire carrier can then be lifted off the pivot pin.

is the main bar box tube or C channel?
any idea of wall thickness?
it lost a lot strength when the taillight hole was cut out of it.
it needs re-inforced whether it is a thicker wall or boxing it with internal bracing

It's home made. Nothing lines up with the tub. The center vertical bar on the swing arm isn't centered with the body and the tops latch. A manufacturer wouldn't do that. It's a decent attempt and works , but It's all in the details.

Last edited:
Time to go back to plan A faster. lol I have a post 1976 OEM tire carrier, but will look for a 75. Thanks guys.

good luck....the left side mount plate style carrier was a two year only thing....not the easiest thing to find.
Thanks Brian. Haven’t searched yet for someone who has converted post 76 tube carrier to a 75. Another adventure for the 40.

Going to ask my Daughter to help me remove the homemade carrier next week. Thank God she loves to do this stuff too.

Thanks Brian. Haven’t searched yet for someone who has converted post 76 tube carrier to a 75. Another adventure for the 40.

Going to ask my Daughter to help me remove the homemade carrier next week. Thank God she loves to do this stuff too.
the cool thing, is fst 75s had the plate style carrier on the right side....so either one would be correct....from a certain point of view.

I have a 75 40 hard top version. I swapped the plate style carrier to the tube style. I mocked it up to the tub, but haven't intalled it yet. The carrier needs to get painted 1st. I think I had to add 2 or 3 holes to make it work. I found It uses the same original holes for the hinges bolts, the bracket w/ rubber uses at least 1 hole where the original latch catch is for the plate version. It might use 2 holes, but I dont recall. I had to drill new holes in the tub for the tube style latch hook. I found this pic on mud and used it as a guide but made my own calculations and compared the 2. The pic can be confusing, all measurements going across the sill start at the 2 hinge bolts referenced, FYI.
20180125_094016_resized.jpg

I have a 75 40 hard top version. I swapped the plate style carrier to the tube style. I mocked it up to the tub, but haven't intalled it yet. The carrier needs to get painted 1st. I think I had to add 2 or 3 holes to make it work. I found It uses the same original holes for the hinges bolts, the bracket w/ rubber uses at least 1 hole where the original latch catch is for the plate version. It might use 2 holes, but I dont recall. I had to drill new holes in the tub for the tube style latch hook. I found this pic on mud and used it as a guide but made my own calculations and compared the 2. The pic can be confusing, all measurements going across the sill start at the 2 hinge bolts referenced, FYI.
View attachment 2996926

That gives me a great start. THANK YOU!

@pb4ugo @brian @3_puppies Update - DIY CFrame Bumper, tire carrier, Gerry can holder and pintle tow hitch has been removed and taillights disconnected. Cracks are seen in photo and looks like inside frame wasn’t reinforced.

Next project is the taillight connector upgrades @ToyotaMatt, tube carrier securing hook, tube carrier bumper, and new bumperette shopping.

@Aloha Jen this feed might help with your 75 carrier and bumperette decisions too since a post ‘76 tube carrier will fit your 40?

5E3B380A-4C49-45D9-8D76-45180A2314A0.jpeg
ABA20BA3-0396-4B95-B243-4B13A4E4A2CD.jpeg
5AE9BCCC-BC3D-4569-8834-C83407B049F7.jpeg
352546B1-27E0-4D5E-B320-3F0EC204E120.jpeg

Last edited:
It may have been a copy adaptation of @devo? Haven’t seen a full length size version like this one before. It’s over 15 years old.

I will miss the taillight proctectors and how it covered up the Aftermarket tub panel.

Will probably mount the license plate bracket and lights to the panel and maybe the ambulance door hinges to make it look better or just cover it up again. lol

@pb4ugo @brian @3_puppies Update - DIY CFrame Bumper, tire carrier, Gerry can holder and pintle tow hitch has been removed and taillights disconnected. Cracks are seen in photo and looks like inside C frame wasn’t reinforced.

Next project is the taillight connector upgrades @ToyotaMatt, tube carrier securing hook, tube carrier bumper, and new bumperette shopping.

@Aloha Jen this feed might help with your 75 carrier and bumperette decisions too since a post ‘76 tube carrier will fit your 40?

View attachment 3098960View attachment 3098961View attachment 3098962View attachment 3098963

that is box tube, maybe 1/8" or 3/16th wall. it lost a lot of strength with the taillight cutout

that is box tube, maybe 1/8" or 3/16th wall. it lost a lot of strength with the taillight cutout
I’m happy it didn’t fail so badly to launch the spare off on the GW Parkway bumps. lol

Think it is salvageable for another 40 owner with a good welder?

I’m happy it didn’t fail so badly to launch the spare off on the GW Parkway bumps. lol

not being an engineer, but building things that last.
all the forces are on the driver side end, from the pivot to the place where it mounts to the frame, the length between the pivot and the mount twist the box tube, twisting from the weight of the steel and spare tire and the cut out for the taillight reduce the strength alot to take the twisting force.
IMHO it would need to be beefed up/plated on 3 of the sides to resist the twisting force. or having a fab shop bend a piece of steel to cover the 3 sides and just fit over the existing box tube, grind out the front cracks and weld, a piece of 3/16 or 1/4" should be plenty. ideally it should go from the end to about midway across.
the larger the spare tire the greater the forces that will be generated.
if it was still installed, my WAG would be if opened at a 90 degree angle you would be able to move the latch end up and down, making the horizontal tube twist.

@pb4ugo @brian @3_puppies Update - DIY CFrame Bumper, tire carrier, Gerry can holder and pintle tow hitch has been removed and taillights disconnected. Cracks are seen in photo and looks like inside frame wasn’t reinforced.

View attachment 3098960View attachment 3098961View attachment 3098962View attachment 3098963

curious if you already have your Tail Lamps or .....?

- my KUSTOM KOITo LED 4th generation / generation 4 ones do come as a total package KIT-FORM with
included OEM YAZAKI Japan harness side connector kits and

extra brass terminals too .....

- these bad boyz are leap years ahead of the OVAL 6pin 3rd generation ones still offered up by most .....

- check out ALL the anti-corrosion and water-proof / splash-proof features and the 4 individual spot welded ground points per lamp assy.

- nothing comes close to a longer then life life-cycle 40 series tail lamp assy. as these do hands down .....

- my ONLY modification i preform here at the SKUNK-WORKS Laboratory is the needed polarized addition to upgrade and update to the LED bulbs them selves ,

everything else you see here below in this TECH. VIDEO is stock OEM KOITo straight off the FED-EX JAPAN JET and out of the rice paper boxes ✈️

grab a cold beer and enjoy this relevant technical break down ....🍻

I think the design is flawed as all the weight of the tire, etc., are carried only on the one end that has compromised strength because of tail light cutout. I would relegate it to the scrap pile and start with a new idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom