FJ40 12HT Swap & 60 Series Axles (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Have you ever built a 12HT before

Have you ever built a 12HT before
Yes. I have an HJ61 and I swapped a 12HT into my 60. I've rebuilt a 12HT for the landcruiser shop I worked at also.
The link to my FJ60 12HT swap is in my signature.

Very nice!!

I can’t overstate the advantage of having the CNC plasma cutter for this project. It’s been a huge help with all the custom brackets and hangers I need for this build.

0F233172-3C18-4DEA-BE0E-66DF2C0C6075.jpeg

97D21835-16C3-4A3E-911B-1555CE2F219B.jpeg

30608DDB-CF1F-4754-8437-F22CA14EEA0C.jpeg

Great stuff. I've only dreamed of having a diesel in my 40, so LM7/NV4500 it is for me. I just finished welding up new front hangers on my frame-off. Started to build a plasma table but stalled as I realized I have no room for it. So, it's templates made on my scroll saw for plasma cutting my parts.

Different strokes, etc., but I don't have the "it's got to be all Toyota" thing going on. After all, most of the nice ones have Real Steel/CCOT/Cruiser Corps/Alibaba parts on them. Toyota put a BMW engine in the Supra and badged a Subaru as a Scion. I also like classic BMWs, and I have to admit, I do cringe a little when I see a 2JZ in an E36 BMW.

I'd wish you luck on your build, but it doesn't look like you need it.

Very nice. When I get a chance I'll be pulling. My entire drive line again.

I'm thinking of cerakoting my 12HT and goodies

Some shots of the engine teardown. Everything looked really great. It was very reassuring to see the inside of the motor so clean. The plan is to just do a quick cylinder hone, boil the block, check the head and if needed give it a deck and valve job. Finally just install all new bearings, seals, rings etc

A9799B99-50FB-4914-9928-55BD809B754D.jpeg

4F8D6D88-6C55-430F-9F79-82C85F4F7307.jpeg

F0E578AD-4707-4C86-9D33-04C1AB337AC6.jpeg

47956C29-789F-483F-B486-248FC7712DD9.jpeg

Some shots of the engine teardown. Everything looked really great. It was very reassuring to see the inside of the motor so clean. The plan is to just do a quick cylinder hone, boil the block, check the head and if needed give it a deck and valve job. Finally just install all new bearings, seals, rings etc

View attachment 3004912

View attachment 3004913

View attachment 3004914

View attachment 3004915
Carbide scrapers are awesome for cleaning the head. Or you could pay someone🤷🏼‍♂️

Carbide scrapers are awesome for cleaning the head. Or you could pay someone🤷🏼‍♂️
Oh I’m not sending it in with the gasket stuck to it. The only reason it’s going in to the machine shop is for a valve test and to check if the head is flat.

Hey guys, just a question today.

Im building an aux fuel tank for the back of the 40. I wasnt planning on doing an in-tank fuel pump, and just using the factory 12HT pump.
My plan is to have an electric valve that switches between the front and rear tank.

Do you guys think I need an in-tank fuel pump from the rear, or can I get away with just a pickup tube in the tank, and a 3/8" line that runs up to a T in the engine bay (to switch between front and rear tanks) then to the priming pump.

Thoughts?

Look at the spare tank like any other fuel tank. Configure it as you main tank is configured. Then set up the necessary controls to switch between the two (manual or electronic).

With the power steering done, the next project is the custom rear fuel tank! Stay tuned for that one.

If people are interested, I might start selling the plasma cut plates as a "weld it yourself" aux fuel tank kit!

IMG_2885.jpeg

Very good tutorial so far. Looking forward to seeing the installation of the 12HT. Thanks for taking the time to post. I would very much like to do this swap some day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom